• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 81.8%

• Total voters

Verig

What if it had oiled Walnut side panels and a few champagne tipped toggle switches out front, with a default amber VU meter glow...mmmmm
Why stop there. How about some EAR style chrome and gold? With walmut sides option, yes. Copper and gold foil lining inside all the way too.

Veri

Master Contributor
People should take a peek back through Amir's measurement of D30 Pro. It's pretty incredible considering its age.
Well I mean, still a very recent product no :D

Reactions: GPJ

shauny

I asked their sales team about hi-res lossless on Apple Music, trying to see if it was similar to the eversolo A6 (which apparently can stream hi-res lossless via its Apple Music app), but the sales team told me that the D70 Pro doesn’t have an equivalent app, and their suggestion was to connect my iPhone over a cable to the D70Pro.

I think this makes the unit “not ideal” for those of us who use Apple Music rather than tidal for their streaming.

D700

I asked their sales team about hi-res lossless on Apple Music, trying to see if it was similar to the eversolo A6 (which apparently can stream hi-res lossless via its Apple Music app), but the sales team told me that the D70 Pro doesn’t have an equivalent app, and their suggestion was to connect my iPhone over a cable to the D70Pro.

I think this makes the unit “not ideal” for those of us who use Apple Music rather than tidal for their streaming.
Apple could open their Apple Music API to allow skins & 3rd party integration pretty easily. Imagine an iOS McIntosh Streaming App integrated with Apple Music, with Blue VU meters that output lossless over a USB dock that provides power to the iOS device and digital output. Plop in an old iPhone or iPad and Bob's your uncle.

Apple would have to take a break from counting money though to open the API.

MadMaxx

Will the mqa version of the d70 pro be released?
I wouldn't bet on it. Might be in the updated D90, though. What better way to justify a higher price? ;)

MBO

There is no interest in streaming and MQA at all.
The ES9039 Pro DAC is of such a high class that such perversions as streaming audio or Bluetooth or MQA simply significantly underestimate its quality. Streaming audio is a pure addiction to the internet that doesn't bode well for the near future...

MadMaxx

There is no interest in streaming and MQA at all.
The ES9039 Pro DAC is of such a high class that such perversions as streaming audio or Bluetooth or MQA simply significantly underestimate its quality. Streaming audio is a pure addiction to the internet that doesn't bode well for the near future...
ESS oughtta hire you for their marketing dept.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Streaming audio is a pure addiction to the internet that doesn't bode well for the near future...
Why? Are you betting on the near end of the streaming business or the Internet?

MBO

I have been against ESS in the past. Now having tested new DACs: ES9039 and CS43198/43131, and I can say that these are currently the best DACs in the world audio market, both in terms of quality and parameters.

MadMaxx

I have been against ESS in the past. Now having tested new DACs: ES9039 and CS43198/43131, and I can say that these are currently the best DACs in the world audio market, both in terms of quality and parameters.
You're gonna need to provide some evidence of your impeccable standing in the world of fine audio along with your record of rigorous and unbiased testing of dac chips if you want your claims to be taken seriously.

Still... hire this guy, ESS!!

Music1969

Major Contributor
Such a missed opportunity here, to add Parametric EQ.

Would be a game changer, in terms of price and performance

Please let Topping know @SHENZHENAUDIO

raif71

Major Contributor
Amir has measured enough ESS DAC's over the past year to prove their undisputed cutting edge performance. (Could say the same for Cirrus, AKM). SINAD and transparency have been a real yawnfest for quite sometime now. I think Topping and SMSL may start loading features in, but their upper end devices are already expensive. It could alienate many buyers when prices head well into 4 digit territory, but maybe that is what their end game is. High prices for a hooked niche crowd. We already see quite a few of these manufacturers in the audio arena.
Agreed on what you say but I just want to add that I too enjoy the Burr-Brown DAC chip used by IFI Audio and the FPGA implementation of DAC by Chord on the Mojo dac/amp.

Akary

Amir has measured enough ESS DAC's over the past year to prove their undisputed cutting edge performance. (Could say the same for Cirrus, AKM). SINAD and transparency have been a real yawnfest for quite sometime now. I think Topping and SMSL may start loading features in, but their upper end devices are already expensive. It could alienate many buyers when prices head well into 4 digit territory, but maybe that is what their end game is. High prices for a hooked niche crowd. We already see quite a few of these manufacturers in the audio arena.
unfortunately for some people if it doesn't cost much the product doesn't sound good so I have heard myself told too many times I have a d50s which I am very satisfied with I would like to change it especially for the balance which unfortunately I need which I don't have on the stereo pre audio but also for make a leap in quality

Reactions: GPJ

MBO

Agreed on what you say but I just want to add that I too enjoy the Burr-Brown DAC chip used by IFI Audio and the FPGA implementation of DAC by Chord on the Mojo dac/amp.
The last good DAC from Burr-Brown was PCM1794, but it's quite difficult to implement, but it's totally outdated. Otherwise sound quality aside, BB DACs are just ridiculous.

This is of course my opinion and experience.

pollock0424

Oh boy! Now, we're talking! I'm guessing that you can use this as a preamp with power amp that has large input impedance? (50k ohms)

Also, what if I want to add multiple sources to this? I want to use my minidsp as a streamer and room correction, and I have couple of cassette decks and an R2R as my analog sources.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great product -

- Affordable
- Very good Linear Phase that is the default filter
- Nice package and display
- INPUT and OUTPUT TRIGGERS (FINALLY)

Wow.

- Rich

staticV3

Master Contributor