• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 DAC Measurement and Review

Jimmy

I wouldn't worry too much about oscillators, the first D30 versions didn't use silicon ones, but quartz, like the ones in your picture, there's a lot of snake oil floating around about this subject (i.e. femtosecond clocks and audible benefits). I'm not so sure that the ones in my board are SiT8209, you can find silicon oscillators from little known brands for less than 1$, just look in Alibaba/Aliexpress.

Regarding capacitors, I agree with you, I prefer to see known brands like Nichicon, Rubycon, Panasonic. etc., and if possible with higher than needed temperature and voltage ratings, and solid/polymer instead of electrolytic, but more for reliability reasons than any hypothetic performance benefits, you can find Xunda caps in more expensive gear and brands (Cambridge, for example).

So I really don't know if later D30 revisions have different performance, but if that would be the case, I doubt that something like brand swapping of capacitors and oscillators are the culprit.

The reasons for different board revisions in electronic products can be for example :

1. Cost cutting. Very common.
2. Components availability. Very common.
3. Problem fixing
4. Performance improvements or new features. In this case manufacturers should change the product identification to reflect that, although it doesn't always happen, often causing confusion among customers.

Oscilator chips on the board tested by Amir are most probably SiT8209 ultra-performance series from SiTime. I judge it from the characteristic black case and 5-digit marking with capital YXXXX. You can find these chips at the price from $4 to $5 each and there are three of them for a BOM of minimum $12.

I also didn't find who is a manufacturer of the clock chips on my board. The one for the MPU and XU208 clock is very basic, but I don't mind. The other two for clocking a DAC look like a 'premium' rated. They have a characteristic <T> mark on them. They are found in various places on Aliexpress, they are selling for $0.30 each, but there were no mention of the manufacturer. No, I didn't bother to save URL's, but you can do it yourself by comparing a photo.
View attachment 31906

As for the CapXon, this is a brand with very bad reputation in the electronic industry. Failing rate of CapXon's capacitors is so bad, that this brand took a first place on the badcaps ratings in many forums. It became a shame for everybody for using this brand in any electronic equipment, not only for the audio applications.

Simon740

Hello,

I have D30 now for almost a year. Nice DAC.
I listen only speakers system.
I have Magnat All Ribbon 10 and Yamaha ax-890 amp. With d30 in this system...wow...
And now thinking ....buy another dac for 300€ max or buy some better power supply for D30.

regards,
Simon

Last edited:

Jimmy

I replaced the power supply almost from day one, I usually do it with wall warts, but I don't recall hearing any differences, though it may help with durability.

mykeldg

seems modi is a good sidegrade to the d30 --- this guy says it subjectively sounded better than his d30,d50, m100, fxaudio dacx7, and khadas tone board. hmmm....

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
he even said puting dumbell weight on them improved focus. definitely made me go hmm

Sounds like typical vlogger advice :)

TomB19

Last night, my wife and I were watching TV (LibreELEC v9.2b1). We selected a show that I think, in retrospect, was encoded in DD and I hit play. Instead of sound, we got full amplitude noise through our bi-amped Polk RTi A9s.

My wife screamed just as loud as the oppressive noise for the full duration until I could switch off the DAC. LibreELEC would not respond, for some reason.

We just got a D50s today so I will try it out but now my wife is scared to go into the livingroom. No joke. lol! I really need the D50s to behave better on unknown signal. It uses a different ESS chip so here's hoping....

Jimmy

That's the usual behavior, if you feed a dolby encoded signal to a non dolby decoding capable DAC (usually only receivers work), you'll just get noise, however if you are using Kodi (I understand you do), disabling passthrough and setting output to 2.0 should be enough to get software decoding working. You don't really need a new DAC for that reason and most likely the D50s will behave the same.

guy48065

I bought a used D30 off eBay that appears like-new but arrived DOA. It's now a free project.
The unit locks onto a digital input but the output is a very faint crackle that pulses to the beat of the music.
Inside I found the -15V unreg switching power supply dead.
This could be an easy fix if I had a schematic. An email to Topping has gone unanswered.

Anybody have a roadmap to this unit?

(I previously posted to the "Teardown" thread but have received no replies)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
If you wish to return that D30 I can sell you mine instead xD Its working 100% and has been sitting in the box for a year or more now.

guy48065

Ideally I'd like to fix the one I have.
My money has been refunded so if I can fix it, it's basically free.

Today I jumpered in an external ±15 supply (before the final regulators) and it works fine. I wish I knew more about switching power supplies so I could locate which component(s) has killed the negative supply.

Attachments

• 20191226_171242.jpg
    20191226_171242.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 232

Bds3151

I don't believe this is a switching supply. Looks linear with a zener diode doing the voltage regulation pre the lm337 regulator, Walk the voltage back prior to the inductor l8 as it may just be an open inductor. If not, maybe the zener has shorted and needs replacement. To test you can just unsolder the zener and see if the voltage returns. Should be an easy fix with parts from Digikey.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a dashboard version of this review?

confucius_zero

confucius_zero

fastleo63

Only to say that today I received my new D30.
All of the capacitors were CapXcon, except for the pair near the OPA2134 (Nichicon).
The Omron relay is still there, too.
Detail of codes present on the board:
sshot-1.jpg

Top Bottom