• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Labjr

Major Contributor
Thought @JohnYang1997 mentioned that cables are supplied in the box.
What would be the added value of the cables in the link?

Adapters are supplied. Not cables. If you need a short length of cable to attach to a component directly underneath those cables would work in place of using the adapters and XLR to XLR cables.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is there a picture of the supplied adapters ? ... forgive me if this has been posted before.
I think people will start posting them very soon. I don't have any around. I found one TRS to female yesterday but it isn't it.

kchap

Forum Donor
Adapters not cables.
My only worry is the DAC could overdrive my amp. It is only 6db but if the amp goes into clipping it could damage the speakers. I was thinking of inserting a balanced pad on both inputs of the Amp. Can the D10B drive a 3 kΩ load? I was thinking of using these values:

6dbPad.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
My only worry is the DAC could overdrive my amp. It is only 6db but if the amp goes into clipping it could damage the speakers. I was thinking of inserting a balanced pad on both inputs of the Amp. Can the D10B drive a 3 kΩ load? I was thinking of using these values:

View attachment 142670
Easy.

Lupin

I sense an influx of adapters being sold on various marketplaces :p:D

sam_adams

Major Contributor
No matter how I will not recommend it. All the needed information is published in the spec. I did my part. After that you have to be on your own.

This is a rather cryptic answer that does not instill confidence in the design choices that you seem to have made with this device.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
If you haven't seen this, it is noted the D10 balanced does not support any adapter to single ended.
https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/666141.html

I don't know about the D10. In general going RCA to XLR inputs isn't a problem. There is a small chance of problems going XLR outputs to RCA inputs. The adapter may short one side to ground and if both sides are active that may not be good for the device. I'm thinking with the D10 that is the case. So listen to the guy who makes the D10 and don't use it unbalanced.

The "small chance" of shorting the outputs could arise if one was to be connecting or disconnecting cables from the balanced device while the device is powered on. This issue 'should' be handled by the output opamp's ability to survive a momentary short to ground condition. Many audio opamps as-well-as other general purpose and specialized devices that are readily available have the capability to survive indefinite output short conditions. What design choice in this device makes it unwise to use a balanced to unbalanced cable? How do you prevent someone who has just enough 'knowledge' to be dangerous from making the choice to run with B-to-U cables to connect this to their equipment? One has to realize that, right now at this moment, someone is ordering this device from Amazon with just that intention.

Ranton

For USA types, I spent some time looking around yesterday, and found that Monoprice sells TRS to male or female XLR Cables with gold-plated pins for less than $10, depending on length. Use their Cable Finder to locate them. If you want higher-end, one of my go-to cable houses, Blue Jeans Cable, sells balanced cables based on Belden 1800F or Canare L4E6S wire. If my prior experience with BJC is any indication they will be of first-rate quality, but will set you back $30 or more each. :oops:

Top Bottom