• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Raptorhertz

Thank you. Meanwhile I have ordered some opa1656, lets see how it goes for analog out!

ALaylowguy

Hi, I just purchased a D10B from Shenzhen Audio and I get this problem. When playing music, sometimes I can hear "static" noise, but it went under my radar because I didn't interfere my experience. Yesterday when I open the left right channel test on YouTube, I realize how bad it is. Whenever just one drive plays the noise appeared very loud and clear but when both channels play, it went away almost completely. When I watched normal YouTube videos, the noise didn't show up either. I have tried everything from changing cable, usb port, reinstall USB driver, restart the computer.... but nothing works, the symptom remained. I think the problem is firmware, where my DAC failed to process music signal.
My system is: AMD desktop -> D10B -> SMSL SH8S -> Hifiman HE400SE.
Your opinions are highly appreciated! Thanks!
an Update for anyone with similar issue. It was ground loop all along. Please check your power cable and make sure they don't create loop. My D10B has been working perfectly since I found the real problem.

Audioboxer

an Update for anyone with similar issue. It was ground loop all along. Please check your power cable and make sure they don't create loop. My D10B has been working perfectly since I found the real problem.

When using a balanced output you shouldn't be getting a loop? :p

For anyone else with any popping/noise issues, try this as well. Enable all the hidden options by changing them to visible within the ToppingUsbAudioCpl.xml file in the x64 folder where you installed the Topping USB driver.

Untitled.png

Then re-open the control panel app and change Options -> Streaming to Always On.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went with a HS02 just in case. Works pretty good but it’s cable sensitive. Make sure your USB cable is not too long.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When using a balanced output you shouldn't be getting a loop? :p

For anyone else with any popping/noise issues, try this as well. Enable all the hidden options by changing them to visible within the ToppingUsbAudioCpl.xml file in the x64 folder where you installed the Topping USB driver.

View attachment 287589

Then re-open the control panel app and change Options -> Streaming to Always On.
Wow thanks! I had no idea!

aphysically

Looking at this for usb to s/pdif for potentially using with a toggle switch for s/pdif of some sort coming out of my tv then an s/pdif to aes/ebu for a genelec? Any other suggestions for how to cleanly go from computer and tv to aes/ebu for genelec input?

Spyerx

I have my office system which comprises an (older but just fully capped/serviced) BAT VK-300xSE integrated + Harbeth P3ESR XD stand mount speakers.
The amp is quite good, but probably a bit on the 'dark' side, possibly due to the 6H30 tubes used on the pre-stage (the amp is solid state, 150w @ 8ohm and 300w at 4, and it tested higher than that).

I've been using an airport express 2 with its built in out for a while, streaming local files and also apple music. My general impression was the highs not where i wanted, recessed, maybe bit "polite". Stereo separation and depth is good, and overall sound is good. I recall in a review I read a while back that stated its a bit rolled off in higher frequencies...

Anyway, I picked up this DAC10 balanced the other day to feed the amp through its balanced connections, using Lossless switcher to play native rates via my desktop mac mini i7 (I love the simplicity and display). I level matched the airport and dac using white noise, proceeded to play a handful of tracks and 2 things jumped out: the highs are no longer recessed and the soundstage is wider, doing a non-scientific A/B the differences are quite noticeable. I'm impressed for $140. No issues at all getting it setup, no noises, no weirdness at all. Very happy.

I just dropped it on my main system and it is indistinguishable to my ears to my Benchmark Dac3.

David_M

I have my office system which comprises an (older but just fully capped/serviced) BAT VK-300xSE integrated + Harbeth P3ESR XD stand mount speakers.
The amp is quite good, but probably a bit on the 'dark' side, possibly due to the 6H30 tubes used on the pre-stage (the amp is solid state, 150w @ 8ohm and 300w at 4, and it tested higher than that).

I've been using an airport express 2 with its built in out for a while, streaming local files and also apple music. My general impression was the highs not where i wanted, recessed, maybe bit "polite". Stereo separation and depth is good, and overall sound is good. I recall in a review I read a while back that stated its a bit rolled off in higher frequencies...

Anyway, I picked up this DAC10 balanced the other day to feed the amp through its balanced connections, using Lossless switcher to play native rates via my desktop mac mini i7 (I love the simplicity and display). I level matched the airport and dac using white noise, proceeded to play a handful of tracks and 2 things jumped out: the highs are no longer recessed and the soundstage is wider, doing a non-scientific A/B the differences are quite noticeable. I'm impressed for $140. No issues at all getting it setup, no noises, no weirdness at all. Very happy.

I just dropped it on my main system and it is indistinguishable to my ears to my Benchmark Dac3.
Benchmark Dac3 B, L or HGC? So you say this $140 DAC10 is audibly indistinguishable from a SOTA $1800 - $2400 Benchmark dac3?

Spyerx

Benchmark Dac3 B, L or HGC? So you say this $140 DAC10 is audibly indistinguishable from a SOTA $1800 - $2400 Benchmark dac3?

Yep.

Dac3B with the latest firmware. All the Dac3 are same dac/output stage functions, the B adds headphone amp, the HGC adds preamp/volume.

I don't know if that should be too surprising regarding DACs these days, I prefer to spend my high dollars on speakers, amps, and music.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Honestly, I woudn't have expected anything else either, given the slightest amount of digital headroom. Nobody really needs more than about 100 dB and change on an integrated amp anyway, and this one has vacuum bulbs in the signal path to boot. Either DAC should be way better than what's needed.

Spyerx

Honestly, I woudn't have expected anything else either, given the slightest amount of digital headroom. Nobody really needs more than about 100 dB and change on an integrated amp anyway, and this one has vacuum bulbs in the signal path to boot. Either DAC should be way better than what's needed.

This is true but. I compared it on my main system which is a luxman 509x / Harbeth 30.2 xd. This is where the dac3 lives.

I am newer around here but been messing around with digital sources for a long time and i just can’t hear the differences anymore assuming the device has low noise and high bandwidth and is measured well / transparent.

nagster

Looking at this for usb to s/pdif for potentially using with a toggle switch for s/pdif of some sort coming out of my tv then an s/pdif to aes/ebu for a genelec? Any other suggestions for how to cleanly go from computer and tv to aes/ebu for genelec input?
·switch
What about here?

This was recommended on the RME User Forum.

・S/PDIF => AES/EBU conversion
It may be possible to use it simply by changing the shape of the terminal. It's the cheapest.
If possible, connect the adapter directly to the genelec and extend the coaxial cable. The shorter the cable, the better the success rate.
for example.

If convert impedance, the success rate will improve a little more.
If possible, connect the adapter directly to the genelec and extend the coaxial cable. The shorter the cable, the better the success rate.
for example.
This page is about the opposite direction but may be useful.

Active converters will have the highest success rate.
for example. (However, in the case of this HOSA, the maximum is 96kHz.)

Attachments

• canare_adapter_01.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • neutrik_adapter_01.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 40

dreadknot

Forum Donor
I need some info an advice on upgrading my Balanced USB DAC

my current dac is Grace Design Standard DAC Balanced

an it almost great for everything music wise but web streaming an watch vids on my pc is quite low by what seems like 10db

even with my stax setup which is

dac - Grace Design Standard DAC Balanced (usb to dac & xlr to tone control)

tone control - Lokius 6-Band Balanced Tone Control (tone control to amp xlr to xlr)

amp - Schiit Audio Magnius

cans - monoprice monolith m570 (with balanced plug)

10db low is present even with tone control on or off

my question is at max volume out from my pc vi usb connection would

i notice slightly higher output volume with

the Topping D10 Balanced USB DAC or the Topping E50 Mini vs Drop + Grace Design Standard DAC Balanced

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Inferring with what you wrote, you so consider there should be a difference because of the cost? I suggest you spend more time on this website.

DAC question is solved now, the difference is in the aspect, functions (balanced or not, display, remote, headphones output, trigger...) but no more in the sound a human can discern.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Absolutely!
A little warning... it's right, but also a bit wrong by omission of details:
it's right that two DACs with good enough measurements will be audibly indistinguishable, but IF they are compared using the same filter or same kind of filters on both DACs.
If they use different filters (fixed, or set by default and not changed), you can hear a difference.

And I'm not talking about a subjective POV only, I've checked what I've heard by running a test with DeltaWave, and the two measurement results with highest difference were for the same filters I found the most different by ear.
Not a measurement we are used to, but it at least was showing a difference

Last edited:

Tansen

Happy New Year!
Just wanted to chime in that the D10 DAC is stellar and I am more than happy with this setup. I had plans to upgrade but D10 and A90 are good. As is my Senn HD 660. But I am hoping to get the DCA Expose after a good demo/audition and call it my END GAME headphones setup.

Attachments

• tempImageO2YjXO.png
    tempImageO2YjXO.png
    2 MB · Views: 60
Top Bottom