• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

raif71

Major Contributor
Well, I wouldn't consider it that strange.
Shenzen Audio is probably watching this site and using it as an advertising instrument in order to boost their sales.
So.. they are happier, Topping is happier, ASR..., we are happier :)

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
But honestly the filter is fine. It has a completely flat THD+N, too. For this price range it seems perfect enough.
The one in the D10Balanced looks like the minimum phase fast one from ESS. And since ESS chips have a linear phase version of this filter that does not change THD+N, you don't lose anything by switching to the linear phase version.

Veri

Master Contributor
The one in the D10Balanced looks like the minimum phase fast one from ESS. And since ESS chips have a linear phase version of this filter that does not change THD+N, you don't lose anything by switching to the linear phase version.
Except for some added latency :p MP is default in both AKM/ESS chips for that reason.

maty

Major Contributor
I already saw several times a "bug" in Windows 10 while switching between internal audio and a DAC, or two DACs,.. and getting volume going up to 100% for one device even if I had set it at a lower value before.
I would never take the risk of sending 100% in active monitors, unless setting very low gain on the monitors...

Yes, it is a very bad idea. In my system all the sound is through JRMC thanks to https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver if I do not execute JRMC there is no sound. And... startup volume is set to 10/99 (with 99 the sound is better than with 100 in my second audio system).

JRMC-startup.volume.png

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I just wish someone, somewhere, would look at the lettering, fonts and placement on the Topping gear. They just screw up everytime and there is zero consistency.

Something the big Japanese players got right from day one. Long before anything was designed or laid out on a computer. And, they still get it right.

The front panel 'D10 Balanced' looks silly- an afterthought. The capital B is too small and it's squeezed under the display.

The rear panel is an absolute disaster. The lettering is not centred over the jacks, the L and R are different distances from the respective sockets, the USB lettering is not centred, the SPDIF out lettering is offset.

Make up your mind Topping, does the white outline touch the lettering, be spaced by a character, or some other random spacing on the same outline? Even the compliance lettering is offset.

1626867743549.png

1626867676399.png

There's so little on this tiny box. So little to get wrong. It's the size of a packet of cigarettes. Shouldn't be too hard should it? And yet the exterior just looks like it was done by a 10yo with MS Word and sent to the screen printers.

jannek

I just wish someone, somewhere, would look at the lettering, fonts and placement on the Topping gear. They just screw up everytime and there is zero consistency.

Something the big Japanese players got right from day one. Long before anything was designed or laid out on a computer. And, they still get it right.

The front panel 'D10 Balanced' looks silly- an afterthought. The capital B is too small and it's squeezed under the display.

The rear panel is an absolute disaster. The lettering is not centred over the jacks, the L and R are different distances from the respective sockets, the USB lettering is not centred, the SPDIF out lettering is offset.

Make up your mind Topping, does the white outline touch the lettering, be spaced by a character, or some other random spacing on the same outline? Even the compliance lettering is offset.

There's so little on this tiny box. So little to get wrong. It's the size of a packet of cigarettes. Shouldn't be too hard should it? And yet the exterior just looks like it was done by a 10yo with MS Word and sent to the screen printers.

If you want to bother someone for crappy design, take Audio GD. I wouldn't even mind their DIY "design" if at least performance would be fine - which isn't. OK, I'm an Engineer, no designer but I have absolutely nothing to complain about Topping design and am more than happy with performance.

Last edited:

GeekyBastard

View attachment 142638
View attachment 142637

"Something the big Japanese players got right from day one." Sure they might did, but at what price point, and with what kind of performance? With this kind of price vs performance ratio and literally bargain price, you could just give me a plain metal box with basic I/O and I'll be happy.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you want to bother someone for crappy design, take Audio GD. I wouldn't even mind their DIY "design" if at least performance would be fine - which isn't. OK, I'm an Engineer, no designer but I have absolutely nothing to complain about Topping design and am more than happy with performance.
If you like a design is pure personal preference of course. Just like not everyone likes the same whine.
Sure Audio-GD measures piss poor but personally I kinda like their design, nice solid build with "industrial" looks. To be honest I would not be able to pick my Audio-GD from my D30pro in a volume matched blindtest.

Restorer-john is more talking about the inconsistencies in the design then the actual design as a whole. He kinda has a point there although it never bothered me until now that I paying attention to it :)
Fot the Topping design as whole... well so many people so many tastes. I'm sure you can find a million people who love the Topping design and a million more who will hate it with a passion.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom