• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Topping @SHENZHENAUDIO
Make me one of those with multi channel support (or make DACs linkable) and I'd love you forever.

phoenixsong

Any possibility of opting out of the TRS balanced adaptors? I already have custom made starquad ones with Neutrik connectors

jawbfl

Very interesting product, nice work Topping.

This uses the same ES9038Q2M chip as the Soncoz LA-QXD1 but why are the specs different? I see Soncoz has 768kHz PCM but D10B has 384KHz.

Walter

A few details from the Topping website that might answer a few questions before they are asked:

ESS ES9038Q2M DAC chip as already mentioned
16-32bit/44.1-384kHz PCM and DSD64-DSD256 Native
No remote control
Includes a pair of TRS to XLR adapters, but no XLR cable
Automatic power on/off even when using an "always on" USB connection

Definitely appears to be a very good value. It has just gone to the top of my desktop system wishlist.

Last edited:

martin900

DSD356? Never heard of it, a typo?
That said, I'd LOVE to have it with normal XLR outputs not to have to use custom cables.

Walter

DSD356? Never heard of it, a typo?
Corrected. Thanks.
That said, I'd LOVE to have it with normal XLR outputs not to have to use custom cables.
Agreed, Adapters are included so you can use normal XLR to XLR or TRS to TRS, depending on which end you prefer to attach them, but that definitely adds bulk on the desktop systems this seems to be perfect for. I'm assuming case limitations are the reason, but that is just a guess.

Plcamp

Dumb question…if you add a second DAC off this DACs SPDIF out, is there a significant latency difference between the two DAC outputs?

Walter

A quick search indicates that TRS to XLR cables are not much more expensive than plain XLR to XLR, so if you would need to buy new cables anyway, it is not that much of an issue. Doesn't help if you already have XLR cables you want to reuse, of course. @JohnYang1997, why were TRS connections used?

jawbfl

Corrected. Thanks.

Agreed, Adapters are included so you can use normal XLR to XLR or TRS to TRS, depending on which end you prefer to attach them, but that definitely adds bulk on the desktop systems this seems to be perfect for. I'm assuming case limitations are the reason, but that is just a guess.

They are using the same case as D10 and D10s, XLR won't fit there and TRS is somewhat same size as RCA, those unsold units will be recycled and they won't need new tooling to make a new case, good for the environment and keeps cost down.

Top Bottom