• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 70 17.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.4%

• Total voters

Veri

Master Contributor
I use this on my coax SPDIF:
Hmmm. Why, though. I guess it doesn't harm anything. But I believe this older review proves it to be basically useless:

SoNic

That was version 1, alleged they improved it. It provides galvanic isolation at a minimum.

Jitter effect is hard to evaluate. Some DAC chips are more prone to that than others. For example, the ESS chips have a whole ASRC block inside that deals with jitter.

Now, some manufacturers have DSP chips in front of the DAC chips, so there also the jitter is eliminated. For example, Schiit Audio uses Analog Devices SHARC DSP. My Denon AVR uses similar Analog Devices SHARC DSPs (multiple).
Older DACs had FIFO buffers to deal (with more or less success) with that issue too.

Last edited:

escalibur

What is the current situation with -5 error code? Have any of you noticed some new reports of faulty units? I'm still tempted to update my A90 to this model.

Music1969

Major Contributor
What is the current situation with -5 error code? Have any of you noticed some new reports of faulty units? I'm still tempted to update my A90 to this model.
I just got one and can't reproduce this error with single ended output

So if you get a 2023 production unit i think its all fine

Gorgeous looking amp

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yes so far.
Nice, I think all current production units are generally problem free now.
I bought a unit last month and tried to reproduce this with 6.3mm headphones plug and it was fine.

My rule with Topping products is - wait 6 months after release before you buy ! :D

shrimp_dude

My rule with Topping products is - wait 6 months after release before you buy ! :D

I think that's a safe rule to follow with all the chinese companies (Topping/SMSL/Gustard/etc). Always firmware and other updates following the releases to fix problems.

Music1969

Major Contributor
To be honest it is probably a good rule for any company, not just Chinese

I had to return a brand new Chord Hugo to the UK

simplywyn

To be honest it is probably a good rule for any company, not just Chinese

I had to return a brand new Chord Hugo to the UK

Every company uses Chinese components, so it's all made in China even the ones "made in USA" are just US made cases with Chinese components.

zhgutov

Every company uses Chinese components, so it's all made in China even the ones "made in USA" are just US made cases with Chinese components.
Some companies like Lake People use (or maybe used in the past) components made in Germany. Texas Instruments is one of such manufacturers.

simplywyn

Some companies like Lake People use (or maybe used in the past) components made in Germany. Texas Instruments is one of such manufacturers.

Texas instruments makes most of their stuff in China. They entered China in 1986 and have research centers in shanghai, beijing, chengdu... etc lol

simplywyn

"most" - is the key word here, I suppose

Most, meaning probably all. Everything is made in China, you can't avoid it. The small resistors they use to populate their board? made in china. Most of the micro caps they use? Probably made in China.

The problem isn't because they are made in China. The problem is that these tiny pieces of electronics are CHEAP and offer zero performance gains if they are made in Germany or made in Japan. So why not buy the cheapest since they offer zero difference in build quality, and those are made in China.

That's the major issue with bringing work back to America. You have basically a shit ton of tiny parts, that offer zero performance difference, that you simply need to create a circuit, but instead of it costing 25cents, it costs a dollar here. That's what kills it, and they have to invest a huge amount of money here to get costs down (which is more money). It's a catch 22

zhgutov

offer zero performance gains if they are made in Germany or made in Japan
As I know, this is not about the performance. It was about the cost and consistency. Domestic manufacturing may be cheaper in some cases. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

However, the companies which use that electronics may use its own additional QC for special purposes.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Anyway, A90 input impedance is found here, and it is stated for balanced, it is 2K and 10K for unbalanced. If this is the same too for A90d, then there shouldn't be an issue of impedance mismatching.
Yikes that is very low input impedance for balanced

Need to pay close attention to DAC matching

Music1969

Major Contributor
I asked the same question (since it is hard to search this up among 10000k comments).
M400 xlr ouput is 10k ohms.

Topping A90: 2kOhm for balance input. 10k for unbalanced.

So far Gustards data for dacs A18 or X16 was correct so far, with only low deviations of 50 ohms.
Output impedance 100 ohms (around 150 measured)
XLR Output level: 4Vrms(VOLUME 00dB)
Output impedance 300 ohms (around 350 measured).

Smsl SU-9 RCA output is ~120 and for xlr it is 370 ohms.

Is similarly low for topping D90 I remember.

Can match and mix them freely. Will only lose negligible audio level. Simply get short interconnect cables; 30 cm or so.
Only careful about the M400 Dac.

Hi your post is mixing input and output impedances, so it is not clear

Are you sure the Topping A90D input impedance is 2000 ohm for XLR ?

Where did you get this information?

Top Bottom