• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 70 17.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.4%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
The Lyr+ is actually supposed to arrive today.

Following plan: A90D vs. Lyr+ in a blind comparison.

The E50 DAC is connected to both amplifiers.
The amplifiers are connected to the x and y input and brought to the same volume.
(Play 1khz sine wave
Measure voltage including load (so parallel at the headphones), and measure the volume with a sound level meter.
Whereas it should actually be enough if I just take the sound level meter?!)

Then at the output from the trs switcher the headphones.
I will then ask a second person to plug the connectors coming from the 6.3mm outputs of the amplifiers, into the x and y inputs as they choose, and cover a certain area so I can't see where the cables are coming from.
I will then be able to switch back and forth between the amplifiers with an estimated millisecond interruption.

View attachment 257703

It would be exciting, of course, if I could hear a difference.
However, I don't expect to.

Any suggestions, or ideas for improvement?
Any news???

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep
20230117_193650.jpg

Gggggas

I've been watching and reading quite a few reviews about this particular amp, and nearly everyone seems to agree that the a90D is 'warmer' sounding than the original a90, last video I watched was Joshua Valour, he not only said that he noticed this difference but even blind tested himself and could dercen the difference form the two, I find this fascinating because we have two amps that technically should sound identical, especially given the measurements, so was this ever explained?
I personally noticed the warmer and punchier profile of the A90D immediately after plugging in my LCD-X/Arya. It is extremely obvious to me and definitely an upgrade compared to the A90.

Leiker535

blind tested himself and could dercen the difference form the two
Don't take those affirmations at face value. Conducting blind tests is very hard and requires throughough methodology. A serious tester would know this and explain his methodology more or less extensively, so don't take an en passant mention of blind testing as indicative of anything, it most probably was not done correctly, without < 1db volume matching or even more than 10 tests at least to be statistically relevant.

Reactions: VQR

xellyeo

I have a question, i recently bought a90d and i found out that when using the volume control theres a little disturb on the specific volume levels when the knob is clicking too. Its like a blink. Its on hearable on preamp too. Its very hearable on specific songs. Do you have it too?

ikona Zweryfikowane przez społeczność

ikona Zweryfikowane przez społeczność

zhgutov

I have a question, i recently bought a90d and i found out that when using the volume control theres a little disturb on the specific volume levels when the knob is clicking too. Its like a blink. Its on hearable on preamp too. Its very hearable on specific songs. Do you have it too?
Relatively small blink or click from time to time when you change the volume fast or slow, doesn't matter.
But I think this is inevitable, because the relays are switching, and this may be perceived differently for different volume positions.
The same thing happens when I change the digital volume on the device with 0.5 dB steps, but it sounds differently (of course).
And if you try something different, like Violectric, you will probably hear this better. A90D is smooth here.

Last edited:

xellyeo

Relatively small blink or click from time to time when you change the volume fast or slow, doesn't matter.
But I think this is inevitable, because the relays are switching, and this may be perceived differently for different volume positions.
The same thing happens when I change the digital volume on the device with 0.5 dB steps, but it sounds differently (of course).
And if you try something different, like Violectric, you will probably hear this better. A90D is smooth here.
okay, thanks. what dac are u using? Im searching for good replacement. i have e30 rn. the best will be d90 i guess but in my country is much more expensive than a90d

zhgutov

okay, thanks. what dac are u using? Im searching for good replacement. i have e30 rn. the best will be d90 i guess but in my country is much more expensive than a90d
I use D90SE as a main unit. But D90LE should be the same. I bought D90SE because it was available immediately.
You mean you have E30? Looks like a good one. Why you want to replace it?

Last edited:

xellyeo

I use D90SE as a main unit. But D90LE should be the same. I bought D90SE because it was available immediately.
You mean you have E30? Looks like a good one. Why you want to replace it?
need balanced dac and just searching for something new

Music1969

Major Contributor
Has there been hardware changes since July 2022 stock?

Or only firmware?

Music1969

Major Contributor
I got my replacement A90D back from Apos after the fatal -5 error code. Has anyone heard what's going on with all these -5 failures? I'm afraid it will happen again after my warranty is up and I'm SOL.
All good with your replacement unit ?

wimawow

I have been comparing the Gustard H16 against this discrete Topping and I have to give the Nod to Topping. The sound is great on both but Topping is a little more detailed but this is a subtle difference. On the Gustard both headphone and pre-out output at the same time and can't be switched. The Topping can switch outputs and I need this. The Topping also seems to have a more powerful amp. I can get much louder volumes on my hd650s, even in low gain, on the Topping. These things make it a no contest for me. This thing is amazing! :)

WeBuild4Life

Hi, from which reseller did you buy it? If I pull the trigger on this I would love it to work perfectly out of the box..
I bought from Hifi College on Amazon (reseller on the generally listing) they are an authorized dealer, and also super helpful. I received an obviously open box item (because amazon) they gave me 10% off and extended the warranty to 2 years.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I love the look of A90D compared to my SMSL SP400.

That dot matrix volume display is super sexy

But I prefer the reliability of my SP400 lol

I might wait a few months for their more mature hardware revisions

Would be interesting to see PCB rev number for June 2022 purchase vs current purchase

pouni

Hi together, I have the A90 discrete and i would like to add Genelec 8020 active studio monitors. I think everything should be fine if I connect the Genelecs via XLR to the preamp output of the A90 discrete. ist this right?

Shakes

Forum Donor
Hi together, I have the A90 discrete and i would like to add Genelec 8020 active studio monitors. I think everything should be fine if I connect the Genelecs via XLR to the preamp output of the A90 discrete. ist this right?
I have my 8030C wired to the XLR out of an A90D and it works great

wimawow

Has anyone tried to connect an EXT90 to the A90D? I'm curious how do you switch to an EXT input and how do you see it has been selected? The manual presumes the connection is to the Pre90 which can display the inputs as Ext1, 2, 3, etc. I'm not sure if the A90D can display this information.

dartinbout

Has anyone tried to connect an EXT90 to the A90D? I'm curious how do you switch to an EXT input and how do you see it has been selected? The manual presumes the connection is to the Pre90 which can display the inputs as Ext1, 2, 3, etc. I'm not sure if the A90D can display this information.
I have. As you cycle through the EXT90 inputs, the "dot matrix", on the A90D, briefly shows the number of the input and then changes to the last volume level. The normal RCA and XLR, on the base unit, just shows the individual pinhole light and then the last volume.

Last edited:
Top Bottom