• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tom Danley’s new ‘Hyperion’

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think these would look much better in a piano black (or other custom) finish. The default one presented here is a bit lacking in the aesthetics department to catch the immediate attention of moneyed audiophiles.

As much as I hate to, I agree.

Personally I think most people hate audio and durability and love aesthetics, but that's the world we live in: People want 'automotive' or 'furniture' quality paints (read: crinkly crackle shatter scratch trash coatings) that look shiny.

I think all speakers should come in a durable powder coated finish (which is possible on MDF despite the fact that post people pretend it's metal only,) or on the low end using a spray on bedliner type material.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Being frank these would only appeal to you lot, your criteria would have to be SQ above all else, smarter finishes are promised.
They also have built in EQ.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Being frank ( again) I said to Iain that I wouldn’t expect to sell these in any great numbers, no matter how hot the pink.
Price mentioned (not settled) wasn’t as outrageous as I expected though, and there are four or five other models planned for the range.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Nothing Hyperion is the top of the range Iain said there would be a model for everyone’s pocket/requirements.
As soon as I hear something I guarantee I will drone on and on about it.
Keith

Juhazi

Major Contributor

Personally I think most people hate audio and durability and love aesthetics, but that's the world we live in: People want 'automotive' or 'furniture' quality paints (read: crinkly crackle shatter scratch trash coatings) that look shiny.

I think all speakers should come in a durable powder coated finish (which is possible on MDF despite the fact that post people pretend it's metal only,) or on the low end using a spray on bedliner type material.
I took my mdf boxes to a car painter 9 years go, no regrets and no cracks!

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have had worse looking speakers. They look good to me, and happy to trade looks for that bass response and constant directivity. Having had a point source horn before, its my favourate speaker design. They must weigh a lot - are they difficult to move about?

Is the price some big secret? Or creating hype first?? At least its kind of measurement hype and not the omg its the best hype we see elsewhere.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I took my mdf boxes to a car painter 9 years go, no regrets and no cracks!

Give it a good whack with a small hammer. Buff it but have a speck of grit get caught in the cloth. Have a toddler absentmindedly rub a fork across it. Drop another speaker or device on it. Cut a pizza on it. Any crackling, shattering, chips, or scuffs?

None of that really shows on spray on bedliner/duracoat/plastic or epoxy feeling textured coatings, and the price seems to be roughly similar as most people are using a sprayer one way or another.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have had worse looking speakers. They look good to me, and happy to trade looks for that bass response and constant directivity. Having had a point source horn before, its my favourate speaker design. They must weigh a lot - are they difficult to move about?

Is the price some big secret? Or creating hype first?? At least its kind of measurement hype and not the omg its the best hype we see elsewhere.
The prices just haven’t been set this pair are a prototype I am not sure Danley have even manufactured a production pair yet, yes they are heavy , two/three man lift.
Keith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess they are active? Are the amps inside of the enclosure?

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well she is home, I am still living here, she thought they were the ugliest yet and we have had some pretty ugly speakers here through the years, but she thought the sound was very good!
What they need is urban camouflage finishes ...
Keith - this sounds nuts, but I saw it done in someone's house ... the wife sewed slipcovers to fit loosely over the speakers. She could match the pillow on your Barcelona chair. Sounds crazy, I know, but it worked really well for looks, and didn't hurt the sound.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I made some covers for some RPG model membrane traps they look almost smart, still huge panel traps of course, amps inside and there are two RJ 45 inputs for the DSP, power is provided by ‘poweron’ cables.
Keith

sq225917

Major Contributor
They look great, I don't have space for them, or the money, but I'd give them a home.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They are good Simon, point source , not like any horn I have heard yet they have that vivid quality.
Best,
Keith

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look what that charming Iain Mackie ( and two colleagues) of Danley Dound Distribution just dropped off,

Keith

Those beasts dwarf that poor little Le Corbusier chair.

Keith - this sounds nuts, but I saw it done in someone's house ... the wife sewed slipcovers to fit loosely over the speakers. She could match the pillow on your Barcelona chair. Sounds crazy, I know, but it worked really well for looks, and didn't hurt the sound.

I'd love a pair of slipcovers for my piano black VR-5 Anniversaries. Right now I keep them under Klipsch RF-82 II boxes. I'll have to look into having a set of felt backed vinyl covers made for them.

Martin

Music1969

Major Contributor
Where can I find tech specs?

Active?

Digital Inputs?

DSP crossover?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

IMO, I’d be more interested to audition these speakers than something like those shiny towering Magico M9s on another thread. I prefer this design and they’re way more “compact” — if you could call them that. I imagine that instead for the price of a house, I could get a pair of these for the price of a small car? LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom