• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch&Dutch add ‘uBacch’ to their 8C active loudspeaker

napfkuchen

Front left/right will be replaced and (ideally) be wall mounted in the same position.

napfkuchen

If possible it should stay in place but could be moved towards the back wall. The "middle seat" is centered with the TV so moving it the right is not an option unfortunately.

Or do you want me to move "everything" (speakers, tv, couch) to the right? That's also not possible because of a large window and a dining table, after all it is a living room. :confused:

slaweks

Forum Donor
This year I would like to acoustically upgrade my living room setup and replace the front speakers with the 8c and BAACH plugin. However, it's not entirely clear to me if this makes sense in my space...

1. My TV is a 65" model and will perhaps be replaced by an 85" at some point (as soon as there are OLED TVs in this size and you don't have to sell your soul for it). This means that the minimum distance between the speakers is just over 2m (6.6 ft). Does BAACH then even make sense? BAACH Labs' placement graphic suggests that the speakers should be placed closer together:
View attachment 339355

current setup:
View attachment 339356

The living room is open to the right and about 7m long; the hallway and kitchen (without doors) are adjacent. So acoustic symmetry won't be achieved.

2. In addition to direct streaming, I would also like to use the speakers as part of the surround setup via Denon 3800X's RCA pre-outs. This should be possible without any problems, or are there any pitfalls?
I think how close speakers are to each other is less important to how much early reflections you get. Use absorption panels, if possible.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
From my experiments here Bacch seems to work best with no close objects ( reflections) so ideally no ‘left’ sofa or coffee table.
Will you wall mount the 8Cs?
Keith

Se7enAtx

Audio Company
Chiming in here. I realize that most of your questions are oriented around Bacch, but I feel I should call out that we're talking about two different things here. How will the 8c work in your space vs. how well Bacch will work in your space.

Judging from your pics, the 8c should work incredibly well. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to achieve excellent sound.

Adding bacch, as others have suggested, that near wall may prove problematic (regardless of how close you place the speakers together). If Bacch is critically important, you will likely need to treat that near wall to damp and or delay near reflections. The key is delay time between direct sound from the speakers and reflected sound from the side walls. The wall behind the speakers (where the TV is mounted) won't matter because the 8c is acoustically invisible above 100hz where bacch is most critical.

The other thing to note is that you mentioned using the analog out from your TV. That's fine but also won't work with Bacch as u-bacch is only enabled on the streaming input of the 8c.

If you're in a territory that supports it, I'd strongly recommend doing the in-home demo. I suspect that the 8c sound will be mind blowing (they're that good) but also that bacch is more like the cherry on top, not the meal.

Last edited:

napfkuchen

Thanks for your replies. :)
It sounds stupid, but my thought process was simple: With so much money for a pair of speakers, the (relatively) small additional charge for Ubaach is no longer significant. But it's not a priority.
In the spring some work will be necessary in the apartment, including drilling and dirt/dust. But after that I will follow the advice and listen to the speakers at the distributor near me (only about 30 km away from me) and then hopefully test them at home. I have no idea what stereo in “3D” is supposed to sound like, you can certainly only find out for yourself. Since my experience of 3D sound via Dolby Atmos / Auro3D was rather limited, I don't think it's a huge leap.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for your replies. :)
It sounds stupid, but my thought process was simple: With so much money for a pair of speakers, the (relatively) small additional charge for Ubaach is no longer significant. But it's not a priority.
In the spring some work will be necessary in the apartment, including drilling and dirt/dust. But after that I will follow the advice and listen to the speakers at the distributor near me (only about 30 km away from me) and then hopefully test them at home. I have no idea what stereo in “3D” is supposed to sound like, you can certainly only find out for yourself. Since my experience of 3D sound via Dolby Atmos / Auro3D was rather limited, I don't think it's a huge leap.
Stereo actually means 3D.

napfkuchen

Stereo actually means 3D.
Maybe I expressed myself incorrectly... Real 3D would - for me - also include the sound from above and behind with specific channel information. Just like you know from various Blu-Ray discs or Apple Music. To me it usually this sounds very artificial or at best interesting but no better than traditional stereo.
But as I read in a review, Ubaach is more about tidying up the stereo image so that the listener is better enveloped and the stage image has more depth.
Hopefully I'll be able to hear it myself then. In the meantime, I'm just confident that the lack of spatial symmetry won't be that bad, it seems to work here too.

Djdon

Hi I'm newbie but my 2ps worth:
I trialled the bacch plugin and it made a noticeable improvement on most stuff. There was more depth and separation in the sound stage. There was more air around vocals.
However this was not true if all recordings. In fact, to my ear some "complex" studio recordings (possibly using several mics and multitrack production) seemed to sound worse. I'm not a recording engineer so just a guess. The two albums I noticed it with were Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk and a couple of Spiritualized albums. I know the literature states it is probably most effective with a single mic (live) stereo mix but it would be easier to justify if it covered all bases.
This is not necessarily an issue in some respects because it can be toggled on or off (although this was not particularly straightforward), but the issue is how would one know which would sound better with and without without having to constantly a/b the track being listened to? When you just want to listen to music this would be a distraction.
I owned 8cs for several years now and they are brilliant speakers; I also can't thank the team at Dutch and Dutch enough for shaking things up and giving consumers a product that can be continuously enhanced.

Top Bottom