• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tom Christiansen Audio HPA-1 Headphone Amp Review

headwhacker

Forum Donor
Nice to have more options. This look like a Pro audio unit, reminds me of Lake People amps (G109S). Whereas the, Archel 2/2.5 looks DIY-ish. No doubt both are exceptional performing amps and caters to different people's taste aesthetically.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I think it's just lovely. Performance is incredible, he's nailed all the aesthetics, casework and interior. The thing is built to last and not end up on my bench with a torn off volume pot or a broken switch.

I also think it would be an excellent two input preamplifier- the headphone output would drive any length of cable to remote power amps.

dragonspit4

I'll be happy to invoice in Canadian dollars at the current exchange rate if you pay by eTransfer. That saves you the exchange fee and saves me the PayPal fee. Win-win. Just email me if you'd like to order that way.

Tom

I used to own DROP THX 789 amp, after close to 1 year of use, when I turn the volume pot, sometimes my left channel cracks a bit when turning the knob. This only happens during turning the knob, after the volume is set, the cracking sound from my left channel is gone. I read somewhere on internet that dust gets into the volume pot that's why this cracking sound appeared.
Even though this cracking sound only happens "sometimes" when I turn my volume knob, it drove me crazy. I hated it. I already returned my THX 789 to DROP, and they gave me a complete refund even after almost 1 full year of use.

Now my question is: Will dust or something ever get into your "Tom Christiansen Audio (TCA) HPA-1 headphone amplifier" 's volume pot? Do you guaranty that volume pot will work for a long time?

Thank you.

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I used to own DROP THX 789 amp, after close to 1 year of use, when I turn the volume pot, sometimes my left channel cracks a bit when turning the knob. This only happens during turning the knob, after the volume is set, the cracking sound from my left channel is gone. I read somewhere on internet that dust gets into the volume pot that's why this cracking sound appeared.
Even though this cracking sound only happens "sometimes" when I turn my volume knob, it drove me crazy. I hated it. I already returned my THX 789 to DROP, and they gave me a complete refund even after almost 1 full year of use.
That's precisely the situation I'm trying to avoid.

Now my question is: Will dust or something ever get into your "Tom Christiansen Audio (TCA) HPA-1 headphone amplifier" 's volume pot? Do you guaranty that volume pot will work for a long time?
The Alps RK271-series ("Blue Velvet") pot I use is rated for 15000 rotations. That's quite a bit of volume adjusting. I don't have any reliability data on the HPA-1, yet, so I can't speak to the longevity of the pot in that application. That said, it's a renowned pot that's used in many pieces of audio gear. I have high confidence that it will last a long time.

I do offer a 2-year warranty on the HPA-1. After the warranty ends, I'll repair the amp for you for a fee. It shouldn't take long to replace a volume pot, so you'd be looking at maybe $75 for parts and labour at the most.

Obviously my goal is to never see the amp again after I've sold it to you. But should you need my help, I'm here.

Tom

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think it's just lovely. Performance is incredible, he's nailed all the aesthetics, casework and interior. The thing is built to last and not end up on my bench with a torn off volume pot or a broken switch.

I also think it would be an excellent two input preamplifier- the headphone output would drive any length of cable to remote power amps.

Raised eyebrow here what happens your review is positive today :) also looks in agreement with opinion of amirm :p call the news :D...

Tks

Major Contributor
That's precisely the situation I'm trying to avoid.

The Alps RK271-series ("Blue Velvet") pot I use is rated for 15000 rotations. That's quite a bit of volume adjusting. I don't have any reliability data on the HPA-1, yet, so I can't speak to the longevity of the pot in that application. That said, it's a renowned pot that's used in many pieces of audio gear. I have high confidence that it will last a long time.

I do offer a 2-year warranty on the HPA-1. After the warranty ends, I'll repair the amp for you for a fee. It shouldn't take long to replace a volume pot, so you'd be looking at maybe $75 for parts and labour at the most.

Obviously my goal is to never see the amp again after I've sold it to you. But should you need my help, I'm here.

Tom

This is great

Also happy to see no fucking Phillips screws visible. Flush pentalobe is so much better looking. It's the on;y thing I hate seeing on my RME (luckily only on top of the unit).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Will dust or something ever get into your "Tom Christiansen Audio (TCA) HPA-1 headphone amplifier" 's volume pot? Do you guaranty that volume pot will work for a long time?

I have RK27 volpots (still) in use for over 25 years and none of them ever became scratchy and still work like new (even the damped tactile feel).
The old ones I have can easily be screwed apart and cleaned and put back together.
You are more likely to have moved on to another amp than the pot giving problems.
That is.. when quality has been the same over the last 25 years.

Last edited:

dragonspit4

I have RK27 volpots (still) in use for over 25 years and none of them even became scratchy and still work like new.
The old ones I have can easily be screwed apart and cleaned and put back together.
You are more likely to have moved on to another amp than the pot giving problems.
That is.. when quality has been the same over the last 25 years.

Thanks.

Do you know what volume pot it is in DROP's 789? I assume it must not be RK27 volume pots right?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Its a much cheaper and problematic pot they use there.
A financial decision and maybe even potmeter allignment.

escalibur

Thanks for the review @amirm & @tomchr . Looks solid as expected but to me it's impossible to justify the price difference sound quality wise compared to Archel 2.5, SP200, 887, Magni Heresy, DX7 Pro or even Atom in my opinion.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Well, if I was a 'phones guy I think I could justify the price fairly easily... despite liking my DX7 Pro immensely - I would actually be utterly amazed if it's still working perfectly 5 years from now or more. Based on component selection alone and the attention to detail - I wouldn't be that surprised to see this go as long as the warranties on that "other notable Canadian hifi manufacturer" (whose prices make this look like it's missing a digit). ;)

I can understand how it could be a bit of bitter pill for some... but so is throwing away dozens of cheap devices that didn't make it long past their 1 year warranty period - if even that long. :(

miero

Here is a detailed picture of amplifier inside:
HPA-1_P1p1_Inside.jpg
Source: https://www.tomchr.com/products/hpa-1

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Well, if I was a 'phones guy I think I could justify the price fairly easily... despite liking my DX7 Pro immensely - I would actually be utterly amazed if it's still working perfectly 5 years from now or more. Based on component selection alone and the attention to detail - I wouldn't be that surprised to see this go as long as the warranties on that "other notable Canadian hifi manufacturer" (whose prices make this look like it's missing a digit). ;)

I can understand how it could be a bit of bitter pill for some... but so is throwing away dozens of cheap devices that didn't make it long past their 1 year warranty period - if even that long

That's the thing. It's way more "sustainable" and "green" to buy well - buy once.

I'm prepared to bet Tom will not need to repair a single unit other than AC surge/transient event related failures or transport damage- things completely outside his control. The ALPs pots will outlast the buyers, I've got tons of them inside the likes of Sony ES, TOTL Marantz, Pioneer, Accuphase, many of them circa 30 years old. Even the top model CD players use full sized motorized RK-271 for variable line outs/headphones.

I think a mk2 version could include a remocon receiver/driver, motorized RK-271 and a set of line outs for a headphone amp/preamplifier with the same level of performance for perhaps a few hundred dollars more.

Basically, there's lots to love, nothing to fault and the price should be fine for headphone "guys". I really hope Tom sells tons of them.

dragonspit4

That's the thing. It's way more "sustainable" and "green" to buy well - buy once.

I'm prepared to bet Tom will not need to repair a single unit other than AC surge/transient event related failures or transport damage- things completely outside his control. The ALPs pots will outlast the buyers, I've got tons of them inside the likes of Sony ES, TOTL Marantz, Pioneer, Accuphase, many of them circa 30 years old. Even the top model CD players use full sized motorized RK-271 for variable line outs/headphones.

I think a mk2 version could include a remocon receiver/driver, motorized RK-271 and a set of line outs for a headphone amp/preamplifier with the same level of performance for perhaps a few hundred dollars more.

Basically, there's lots to love, nothing to fault and the price should be fine for headphone "guys". I really hope Tom sells tons of them.
I was wondering, if RK-271 pot is so great. why don't DROP use it? Is the RK-271 pot very expensive?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
About $15.- in large q'ties where RK97 is about $ 3.-

It requires more space on the board and the axle sits higher so allignment of parts is different.
When it comes to mass production every $ counts when you want to make a profit.

dragonspit4

About $15.- in large q'ties where RK97 is about $ 3.-

It requires more space on the board and the axle sits higher so allignment of parts is different.
When it comes to mass production every $ counts when you want to make a profit.

in Large quantity:
so RK-271 about $15
and RK97 about $3

but.. I mean it's only $12 difference?
does RK97 perform way worst than RK271?

Thankfully, HPA-1 uses RK271 and has an additional support bracket for the volume pot. I am not sure but I can imagine the support bracket for volume pot cost $10 a piece . (I am guessing here)

Top Bottom