• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tilt Tone Control for Headphones / Speakers

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought it had to do with photograph. I guess by definition it doesnt make a difference.

Definition: A group of people standing and/or sitting in a circular arraignment attempting to both explain and understand "circle of confusion". :p
I've not been to enough theology classes when I was in High School! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: shucks, I meant "Theory of Knowledge" classes, not Theology!!!

EDIT#2: ok, ok, I think I understand your angle now....you're joking that a circle of confusion would be a group of random people sat in a circle attempting to discuss circle of confusion.....because the concept of circle of confusion is so confusing, hence it would be a literal "circle of confusion" of people who happened to also be talking about circle of confusion! Ha, did I get it!!??

Last edited:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to add one more tool to the toolbox: Toned is a AU, VST, VST3, RTAS, & AAX plugin that has lots of other options as well with HP and LP filters.

It's made for DAW mastering use but fully suitable for all the reasons listed above if anyone wants to play.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to add one more tool to the toolbox: Toned is a AU, VST, VST3, RTAS, & AAX plugin that has lots of other options as well with HP and LP filters.

It's made for DAW mastering use but fully suitable for all the reasons listed above if anyone wants to play.
Does it give you visibility on exactly how it's influencing the whole frequency response? I couldn't see how you'd find out what was being changed from that point of view.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No visuals, guess you just have to have a good idea what you're trying to correct (or alter).

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No visuals, guess you just have to have a good idea what you're trying to correct (or alter).
Yeah, fair enough, it's fine for someone who doesn't want to know what it's affecting....they can twiddle until it sounds right re tonality. Not my favourite approach if I don't know what it's doing.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FYI Mega Switcher already has a customizable Tilt control, as requested by some people here (see the center band).
It can be easily adjusted : (-6 to +6)dB@20Hz --> 0dB@1KHz --> (+6 to -6)dB@20KHz, by 1, 2 or 3 dB intervals.
It's perfectly linear by design, and it can be customized in all sorts of ways. Just ask. ;)

Mode Dark.png

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI Mega Switcher already has a customizable Tilt control, as requested by some people here (see the center band).
It can be easily adjusted : (-6 to +6)dB@20Hz --> 0dB@1KHz --> (+6 to -6)dB@20KHz, by 1, 2 or 3 dB intervals.
It's perfectly linear by design, and it can be customized in all sorts of ways. Just ask. ;)

Cool, can you post up a pic showing an example of the 1K Tilt variable on a frequency response? Can you tell us what parametric filter it uses to achieve this, or combination of parametric filters?

Jose Hidalgo

Cool, can you post up a pic showing an example of the 1K Tilt variable on a frequency response? Can you tell us what parametric filter it uses to achieve this, or combination of parametric filters?
I don't have any measurement equipment, but here is what it does basically (it can be adjusted from -6 to 6 dB by 1, 2 or 3 dB increments) :

Tilt.jpg

Please note that "6 dB" is the total amplitude of the filter, so it means "+3 dB on one side and -3 dB on the other side", as shown by the pic.

A couple of months ago I talked to some experts at EAPO forums (the whole discussion is here), and the beauty of it is that it doesn't even need to use a parametric filter. This bit of EAPO code (adapting the values of course) is enough to create a nice linear tilt effect (adjust values to your liking) :

Code:
GraphicEQ: 20 3; 1000 0; 20000 -3

... yes, it's THAT easy ! :D No need to go parametric here. And you can add other parametric filters anytime, you can mix everything with EAPO.

One could also wonder if there would be any non-linearity issues at 1 KHz. But thankfully there is none, as shown by EAPO's analysis panel, zooming in vertically @1 KHz :

2021.05.14 - 00.40.28.png

So I just integrated it into my software (with a negative preamp gain of course to prevent any clipping), and it works perfectly. User feedback is being great so far. Try it ! :)

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have any measurement equipment, but here is what it does basically (it can be adjusted from -6 to 6 dB by 1, 2 or 3 dB increments) :

View attachment 141044

Please note that "6 dB" is the total amplitude of the filter, so it means "+3 dB on one side and -3 dB on the other side", as shown by the pic.

A couple of months ago I talked to some experts at EAPO forums (the whole discussion is here), and the beauty of it is that it doesn't even need to use a parametric filter. This bit of EAPO code (adapting the values of course) is enough to create a nice linear tilt effect (adjust values to your liking) :

Code:

... yes, it's THAT easy ! :D No need to go parametric here. And you can add other parametric filters anytime, you can mix everything with EAPO.

One could also wonder if there would be any non-linearity issues at 1 KHz. But thankfully there is none, as shown by EAPO's analysis panel, zooming in vertically @1 KHz :

View attachment 141045

So I just integrated it into my software (with a negative preamp gain of course to prevent any clipping), and it works perfectly. User feedback is being great so far. Try it ! :)
Nice, that's very good, and if you don't want to use an additional interface then it looks like you can just copy that text into the config.txt file of Equaliser APO:
Code:
Thanks for your input there, looks like a good solution. The link you posted to the other forum....the users there say there is some audio lag when using GraphicEQ so that's something to bear in mind, but only for gaming or maybe watching movies or something.

Jose Hidalgo

Exactly :) You can do what you want in config.txt, or you can use Mega Switcher which automates all the process. Especially if you have several headphones and many EQ presets. Changing config.txt can be tedious. With my app, everything happens in real time, so you can quickly fine-tune sound (on top of any EQ preset you would already have, even custom ones ;) ), on a song-per-song basis. My app controls EAPO and gets rid of all the complexity, but you can still check the files and see what happens. ;)

I'm unable to notice the supposed audio lag when Tilt is enabled. Maybe for gamers it would be a problem (not even sure), but not for listeners. ;)

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly :) You can do what you want in config.txt, or you can use Mega Switcher which automates all the process. Especially if you have several headphones and many EQ presets. Changing config.txt can be tedious. With my app, everything happens in real time, so you can quickly fine-tune sound (on top of any EQ preset you would already have, even custom ones ;) ), on a song-per-song basis. My app controls EAPO and gets rid of all the complexity, but you can still check the files and see what happens. ;)

I'm unable to notice the supposed audio lag when Tilt is enabled. Maybe for gamers it would be a problem (not even sure), but not for listeners. ;)
I think you've done a good job with that app, congratulations for having done it. I prefer just to have EqualiserAPO myself though without additions, but there's definitely a use for your app, and for people who don't like the EqualiserAPO interface then yours is good for them additionally.

Jose Hidalgo

Of course :D Just note that my app does exactly what you would do manually with config.txt (just like PEACE does - both are EAPO GUIs). It doesn't add anything, it just automates the process and adds a lot of welcome features besides that Tilt. It becomes really useful with several headphones, and even more with 2 users. It's hard to describe it without trying it, so just do it someday (with your own presets of course). Who knows, you may end up keeping it. ;)

Thalis

Ok a question... isn't Rob's solution a little different as it only tilts from around 100Hz without increasing sub bass frequencies? And what if I only want to tilt starting from say... 1kHz?

Jose Hidalgo

Easy :
Code:
GraphicEQ: 20 0; 1000 0; 20000 -3

You could even add more points if required :
Code:
GraphicEQ: 20 0; 1000 0; 3000 -1; 20000 -3

And so on. But then you could just end up using a parametric filter. :p

Anyway, my app already takes care of that, and thanks to its 9-band EQ, you can do all the fine-tuning you want (as you know already ;) ). The Tilt function can be used together with other functions. For example :
  • Tilt +3 (raises bass, reduces treble) and Rumble -3 (compensates for the raised bass)
  • Tilt +3 and Optimum HiFi preset instead of Harman (reduces bass by about -5.5 dB)
  • ... so many possibilities at your fingertips!
(I say "+3" to make it simple, but it could be "-1", "-2", "-4", etc.)

Jose Hidalgo

Exactly, you can set it to 3, 2 or even 1 if you want more precision. Just set it to the new value, save, and relaunch the app.
That's covered in the User Manual, "Advanced Customization" (page 18 or so).
PS : if you have other questions about the app, please post them in its own topic so we don't bother Robbo anymore. ;)

Thalis

Exactly, you can set it to 3, 2 or even 1 if you want more precision. Just set it to the new value, save, and relaunch the app.
That's covered in the User Manual, "Advanced Customization" (page 18 or so). ;)

O K.... thanks so much :)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 6.02.23 PM.png

I added the filter you suggested to my six band PEQ for my Sennheiser HD560s and have been listening to it for few days.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 142511

I added the filter you suggested to my six band PEQ for my Sennheiser HD560s and have been listening to it for few days.
Cool, I'm not sure you really listen to that filter as it's default position would be zero Gain (as in no change), but you'd use it to tilt the whole curve up or down based on if some of your tracks are either too dull or too bright. How've you found it though, what've you been using it for?

Top Bottom