• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tilt Tone Control for Headphones / Speakers

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello folks, I've created a simple wide acting Tone Control Filter that can be used in any of your parametric EQ software of choice (details of the filter later in this post).

As a lot of us know there's this thing called "Circle of Confusion" which I think could have been a phrase coined by Toole/Olive to describe the fact that target curves for the audio gear used in the production of any particular piece of music (in the studio) are not an industry standard between all of them.....so this means that some albums / tracks / songs can sometimes sound brighter or duller than they should really be when played back on your headphones or speakers (assuming your headphones and speakers are calibrated close to "neutral/flat"). Toole/Olive therefore say that Tone Controls should be used to tweak to user preference on different music productions for those very reasons. (here's a link to a presentation created by Sean Olive where he practically describes everything Harman re headphones, and there are sections on "Circle of Confusion" in there: https://www.listeninc.com/wp/media/Perception_and_-Measurement_of_Headphones_Sean_Olive.pdf)

So I've created a Tilt Tone Control for headphones & speakers, which is a simple EQ filter that can be implemented in any of your parametric EQ software of choice, this is the filter, it's as simple as this:
High Shelf Filter, 982Hz Q0.2

Here's a pic of it working in action on what happens to be an HE4XX headphone, but note the turquoise shaded area and my drawn in straight red line which is indicating the filter is pretty much acting linearly to tilt the whole frequency response from 100Hz to 20,000Hz:
Tilt Filter HE4XX.jpg

I've tried out this "tone control" and I find it very effective. For instance, Red Hot Chili Pepper songs I find are generally recorded too bright, so my tone control filter fixes that with just -1 or -2dB on the Gain for that filter, you could probably even try it with just 0.5dB increments. You can easily notice 1dB changes in that filter because it tilts the whole frequency response from 100Hz upwards. High Shelf at 982Hz, Q 0.2 -> that's the filter I urge you to give it a try as a tone control. (that's naught point two for the Q filter, it's a very low Q filter!)

Give it a try if you're curious, and let us know if you find it effective or not. We can also talk about other tone controls you use, other software, plugins, etc.

EDIT: note that particularly with regards to use of this filter with headphones, it's not designed as a way of significantly increasing your bass level of your headphone, because often open-backed headphones roll off the bass early, so in terms of with use with headphones I recommend using my Tone Control Filter alongside a Harman EQ which will already include a Low Shelf Bass Boost filter which often counteracts the phenomenon of this early bass roll-off in open-backed headphones. Yes, so don't use my Tone Control Filter to increase your bass level, use a Low Shelf Filter bass boost or use it with an existing Harman EQ (eg from Oratory) which would already include that bass boost. My Tone Control Filter is used to change overall tonality, not for pumping up the bass specifically, sort the bass out in a different way.

EDIT#2: because my Tilt Control Filter affects so much of the frequency response, don't fall into the trap of the "Loudness Wars" when using positive Gain on my filter, because it will make it sound louder, and often louder sounds better - so instead try to get your mind to pay close attention to the tonality instead, and be aware it can increase the overall perceived loudness if boosted. Also note that you may need to apply a negative preamp alongside my Tone Control Filter if you use positive Gain on my filter - you'll need to do this to avoid digital clipping. However, if you're already using a headphone EQ (eg from Oratory), then you may not need to increase the Negative Preamp because often times the treble area is digitally reduced below 0dBFS in Harman EQ's. The point is.....Whatever EQ you do always check the Total EQ Curve to make sure nothing is creeping above 0dBFS.

EDIT#3: I will also add/emphasise that this Tone Control Filter is not for fixing your headphones, it's for fixing the "Circle of Confusion" in music production, this simple Tone Control Filter will not effectively fix anaemic bass nor piercing treble (or variations on that) in your headphones - fix your headphones first (probably with a Harman EQ) then use this Tone Control Filter as a means for subtley but widely tweaking overall tonality based on the variation ("Circle of Confusion") associated with music production, so this Tone Control Filter is nothing directly related to your headphones, but instead the music creation process itself, hence why you could also use this Tone Control Filter for speakers.

EDIT #4: I tried my Tone Control Filter on my speakers just now, and it works just as well for speakers as it does for headphones. Interestingly I needed the same -2dB Gain for Red Hot Chili Peppers music as I required on my headphones, and I needed -1dB for Florence & The Machine, and -1dB for The Black Crowes (although I didn't test the last two on my headphones). -1dB doesn't seem significant on the face of it, but with that broad acting filter it certainly is.

EDIT 29/8/21: I found a more linear tone control recently. I found it over on miniDSP forums, someone had mathematically worked out the most linear (straight line) tone control represented by parametric filters. It's three High Shelf Filters acting together (you'd set the Gain to the same value to each one): 63Hz Q0.5 / 632Hz Q0.5 / 6324Hz Q0.5

Last edited:

Bob-23

Hello folks, I've created a simple wide acting Tone Control Filter that can be used in any of your parametric EQ software of choice (details of the filter later in this post).

As a lot of us know there's this thing called "Circle of Confusion" which I think could have been a phrase coined by Toole/Olive to describe the fact that target curves for the audio gear used in the production of any particular piece of music (in the studio) are not an industry standard between all of them.....so this means that some albums / tracks / songs can sometimes sound brighter or duller than they should really be when played back on your headphones or speakers (assuming your headphones and speakers are calibrated close to "neutral/flat"). Toole/Olive therefore say that Tone Controls should be used to tweak to user preference on different music productions for those very reasons. (here's a link to a presentation created by Sean Olive where he practically describes everything Harman re headphones, and there are sections on "Circle of Confusion" in there: https://www.listeninc.com/wp/media/Perception_and_-Measurement_of_Headphones_Sean_Olive.pdf)

So I've created a Tilt Tone Control for headphones & speakers, which is a simple EQ filter that can be implemented in any of your parametric EQ software of choice, this is the filter, it's as simple as this:
High Shelf Filter, 982Hz Q0.2

Here's a pic of it working in action on what happens to be an HE4XX headphone, but note the turquoise shaded area and my drawn in straight red line which is indicating the filter is pretty much acting linearly to tilt the whole frequency response from 100Hz to 20,000Hz:
View attachment 139012
I've tried out this "tone control" and I find it very effective. For instance, Red Hot Chili Pepper songs I find are generally recorded too bright, so my tone control filter fixes that with just -1 or -2dB on the Gain for that filter, you could probably even try it with just 0.5dB increments. You can easily notice 1dB changes in that filter because it tilts the whole frequency response from 100Hz upwards. High Shelf at 982Hz, Q 0.2 -> that's the filter I urge you to give it a try as a tone control. (that's naught point two for the Q filter, it's a very low Q filter!)

Give it a try if you're curious, and let us know if you find it effective or not. We can also talk about other tone controls you use, other software, plugins, etc.

Hello Robbo - have a good sunday!

Here's the tilt control description and a circuit diagram for the diy'ers, by our unforgotten Chu Moy.

"In the early 1970s, Quad Ltd. believed that the proper role of equalization was to fix subtle tonal flaws in the audio system. They developed a “tilt” tone control, which first appeared on their model 34 preamplifier. Unlike the Baxandall controls, the tilt control “tilts” the frequency content of the audio signal by simultaneously boosting the treble and cutting the bass frequencies or vice-versa. The effect is subtle because the control has a maximum boost/cut of 3dB."

1625386499500.png

"The tilt EQ can be very beneficial for correcting tonal flaws in headphone sound, such as excessive brightness or darkness, without being too sonically obtrusive. The above schematic (figure 11) is from a preamplifier design by Reg Williamson and Alan Watling. It is a tilt control with a center frequency of 900Hz and a maximum boost/cut of 6dB. The circuit produces a shelving characteristic on either side on the center frequency (see the graph below)."

https://web.archive.org/web/20150315014014/http://headwize.com/?page_id=741
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMoy

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Robbo - have a good sunday!

Here's the tilt control description and a circuit diagram for the diy'ers, by our unforgotten Chu Moy.

"In the early 1970s, Quad Ltd. believed that the proper role of equalization was to fix subtle tonal flaws in the audio system. They developed a “tilt” tone control, which first appeared on their model 34 preamplifier. Unlike the Baxandall controls, the tilt control “tilts” the frequency content of the audio signal by simultaneously boosting the treble and cutting the bass frequencies or vice-versa. The effect is subtle because the control has a maximum boost/cut of 3dB."

View attachment 139015

"The tilt EQ can be very beneficial for correcting tonal flaws in headphone sound, such as excessive brightness or darkness, without being too sonically obtrusive. The above schematic (figure 11) is from a preamplifier design by Reg Williamson and Alan Watling. It is a tilt control with a center frequency of 900Hz and a maximum boost/cut of 6dB. The circuit produces a shelving characteristic on either side on the center frequency (see the graph below)."

https://web.archive.org/web/20150315014014/http://headwize.com/?page_id=741
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMoy
Thanks for your post Bob, and happy Sunday to you too! So what they've done there is create a seesaw type tone control centred on 900Hz? As in a straight linear tilt throughout the frequency ranges, but pivoting at the 900Hz point, is that correct? I'm not sure on all the provenance and credence associated with that work, but it seems sensible. I too intuitively thought I need to create a Tilt Control EQ that operates in a linear manner across the whole frequency range, but I instead opted for an EQ Filter that did the linear tilt from 100Hz upwards through to 20,000Hz......this was more because within the small amount of time I spent on it I couldn't find a filter that would almost linearly tilt the entire frequency range from 20-20000Hz, so I managed 100-20000Hz instead. If I think about it, 100-20000Hz could be most sensible & applicable to headphones in particular, because Headphone Harman EQ's (eg Oratory) often include a substantial Low Shelf (& adjustable) bass boost below 100Hz anyway, so in some respects the bass level is already being sorted out by that.....so my Tilt Control EQ Filter that starts operating at 100Hz probably complements that quite nicely. My main use case for myself would be using it with my headphones, but I think it would work with speakers too.

What do you use, the hardware implementation discussed in those links, or some other software tilt control? Did you try out the Tilt Control EQ Filter I came up with?

EDIT: as an additional conceptual thought, any tone control that acts in a completely linear fashion across the frequency range - it doesn't matter at which point it pivots, because a straight line is a straight line - what matters is how the straight line is angled from flat, and you can describe all deviations from that with a "seesaw" pivoted at any frequency.....just that values of Gain would be different to describe any specific given deviation from flat, but all the same slopes can be described regardless of pivot point, which marries in with the fact that any EQ in the digital domain has to be below 0dBFS so pivot point is not a factor if describing a "completely linear straight line EQ / seesaw"

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
John Broskie has a couple of analog tilt controls you can build along with PCB's over at Glass Audio. I'd suggest a 2-3dB downward tilt as being useful with 1dB being too subtle. I use a Quad preamp these days, one of their Elite series, and it has very good tilt controls.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
John Broskie has a couple of analog tilt controls you can build along with PCB's over at Glass Audio. I'd suggest a 2-3dB downward tilt as being useful with 1dB being too subtle. I use a Quad preamp these days, one of their Elite series, and it has very good tilt controls.
Excellent, have you got a link to their stuff you're talking about? Do you ever get involved with software EQ, how does the Tone Control EQ Filter I devised stack up? (If using my Tone Control EQ Filter I'd advise careful 1dB increments max, and I'd expect/estimate that total range of motion wouldn't often be anymore than +/-2dB to cover most of the range of "Circle of Confusion" in music production on an anechoically flat system. (the Tone Control EQ Filter is not for fixing speakers or headphones but the "Circle of Confusion" in music production only).

Bob-23

QUOTE="Robbo99999, post: 835549, member: 12707"]What do you use, the hardware implementation discussed in those links, or some other software tilt control? Did you try out the Tilt Control EQ Filter I came up with?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I don't use any explicit (classical) 'tilt control' - my Baxandall tone control/EQ can do the same and is more flexible. (But I wouldn't exclude trying out the above circuit in the future, on some rainy day.)

In his - always a treasure trove - great "ESP" Rod Elliott gave the frequency response of the tilt control:
1625398866300.png

Obviously, he doesn't fully agree on Chu Moy's linking the 'tilt control':
"Finally, there's one last tone control arrangement that was popular for perhaps 5 minutes or so, sometime in the 1970s. It was used in at least one Quad preamp as well as a couple of others, but it died out fairly quickly because it's not really very useful."

in: ESP>articles>General Information>Equalization-Equalizers
https://sound-au.com/

raindance

Major Contributor
Quad still uses tilt to this day, and even RME implements it (in the digital domain). Baxandall tone controls were more extreme and had turnover frequencies calculated to "leave the midrange alone", so only altered the ends (100Hz and 10KHz typically).

The Broskie one approximates the ideal response without active components, so it looks more Baxandall-like.

RME probably has the purest implementation.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, I don't use any explicit (classical) 'tilt control' - my Baxandall tone control/EQ can do the same and is more flexible. (But I wouldn't exclude trying out the above circuit in the future, on some rainy day.)

In his - always a treasure trove - great "ESP" Rod Elliott gave the frequency response of the tilt control:
View attachment 139026

Obviously, he doesn't fully agree on Chu Moy's linking the 'tilt control':
"Finally, there's one last tone control arrangement that was popular for perhaps 5 minutes or so, sometime in the 1970s. It was used in at least one Quad preamp as well as a couple of others, but it died out fairly quickly because it's not really very useful."

in: ESP>articles>General Information>Equalization-Equalizers
https://sound-au.com/
Thanks for those links. @raindance , the tone controls at your link, the graph is quite extreme with some fairly abrupt shelving either side of the pivot point with hardly any linearity, I don't really intuitively see that as providing a neutral/uncoloured tone control.
@Bob-23 , your pictured tone control with the pivot point at 900Hz, that's not totally linear either, but not as extreme as raindance's linked solution. I personally think, and intuitively it makes sense to me that the tone control should be completely linear through the whole frequency range & therefore the least coloured in terms of influencing the sonic profile beyond simple tone - as soon as you start having non-linear progressions & reductions across the frequency range then you're essentially EQ'ing your headphone or speaker rather than the music......because afterall the "Circle of Confusion" with regards to the general tonal balance of how songs have been recorded on that studio's system is not defineable beyond a general tone, which by definition would be a simple linear slope.....we don't have the information to say it should be non-linear in this area or flatter in this area, the best (& logically most accurate) way we can approximate the tonal variation of the studio systems on which the music was mastered would be to use anechoically flat speakers and a linear flat tone control....that's the way I see it. Do you see it that way? That's why I'm thinking you should both try out my EQ filter, because given the pics you've both shown me it's a lot more linear in it's influence of the tonal slope than the solutions you're showing me. What do you reckon? Did you try my filter?

I tried my filter on my speakers just now, and it works just as well for speakers as it does for headphones. Interestingly I needed the same -2dB Gain for Red Hot Chili Peppers music as I required on my headphones, and I needed -1dB for Florence & The Machine, and -1dB for The Black Crowes (although I didn't test the last two on my headphones). -1dB doesn't seem significant on the face of it, but with that broad acting filter it certainly is.

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
@Robbo99999 I'm a huge fan of the Quad tilt control. I sold this preamp a few years ago and then ended up buying it back again because I missed the tilt control and the home brewed version just wasn't quite as good. I pretty much always use it on the -2dB downward tilt on harsh/bright recordings.

However, I built a DIY Butte headphone amp (Pete Millett) for a friend a couple of years ago and added a second input with a -2dB tilt using the Broskie design - it ended up being this filtered input that he liked with most music with his planar phones.

Your brain adjusts to the non linearities surprisingly easily.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Robbo99999 I'm a huge fan of the Quad tilt control. I sold this preamp a few years ago and then ended up buying it back again because I missed the tilt control and the home brewed version just wasn't quite as good. I pretty much always use it on the -2dB downward tilt on harsh/bright recordings.

However, I built a DIY Butte headphone amp (Pete Millett) for a friend a couple of years ago and added a second input with a -2dB tilt using the Broskie design - it ended up being this filtered input that he liked with most music with his planar phones.

Your brain adjusts to the non linearities surprisingly easily.
Have you got a pic of how the Quad tilt control works re frequency response influence? (couldn't see it amongst your links) You're right that our brains get used to non-linearity - you just have to see how easily we adapt to some pretty crazy headphone frequency responses.....but the point is that even if your brain can adapt to the non-ideal frequency responses it doesn't mean you can't get a better experience by actually having an ideal frequency response in the first place. My tone control I outlined in my first post in this thread is pretty much linear so should be ideal, I'm kinda surprised nobody has found it before or started up a thread before that shows how one simple parametric filter can be used as a linear tone control. You should try it out, but I won't keep saying it, as that's just more pushy than I'm willing to be...and I can be quite pushy! :D

raindance

Major Contributor
@Robbo99999 - People ARE using your idea as implemented in the RME ADI2. The Dspeaker products have tilt also. And yes, in the digital domain it can be quite linear, although there's an inevitable effect on phase. I'll see what I can dig up regarding the quad response curves, but I suspect it's the same circuit as the first circuit example given in this thread with the op amps.

What's good about tilt is allowing you to balance between bass and treble energy without changing the essential character of the sound. It almost makes some 80's recordings listenable :D

raindance

Major Contributor
Also, you can cascade shelving filters to simulate this in miniDSP, for example.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements from an earlier iteration, the Quad 34:
View attachment 139048
Cool, thanks for taking the time to find that & post it. I'm not impressed with the non-linearity of those filters though, I think a straight line linear tone filter with a fixed slope across all or most of the frequency range would be what you'd want to deal with the broad undefinable defects of tone within "Circle of Confusion", rather than the non-linear effects those filters you pictured are creating. Those filters you pictured might be useful for correcting broad defects in speakers themselves, but as a broad linear tone control for "Circle of Confusion" in music production I think less ideal.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never measures the response. But the oldest modestly powered tube amps I've purchased have a simple tilt style tone control too...

https://public.fotki.com/m8o/audiovideo/my-toobz/bell-and-howell-pro/?view=roll#1

More recently than the 1940s or 1950s [lol] I've been using a sub 0.3 Q parametric filters in the Toneboosters PEQ that is integrated in USB Audio Player Pro the last few months.
Ah, a simple Tone Control knob on those tube amps, I suppose you don't know how they affect the frequency range unless the manufacturer published the scope of the variation or unless someone measured. I think for a Tone Control you have to know how it's effecting the frequency range.

The 0.3Q parametric filter you use - what is the full filter description? Eg Low Shelf / High Shelf / Peak and at what Hz?

Thalis

Tried this on the EO-IG955 AKG IEMS... works very well as I found them kinda sharp without EQ or with Oratory or Crinacle's filters. I tried -2dB as seen in your pic but think -3dB works better for these IEMs.

Thanks! :)

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried this on the EO-IG955 AKG IEMS... works very well as I found them kinda sharp without EQ or with Oratory or Crinacle's filters. I tried -2dB as seen in your pic but think -3dB works better for these IEMs.

Thanks! :)
The Tilt Control filter I came up with is not really for use for fixing a headphone or IEM, but more to deal with the subtle variances in Circle of Confusion within the music recording process. Having said that, I suppose it would broadly fix tonality issues in headphones/IEMs, but you could probably end up with better more targeted results by tweaking the "customisation filters" in Oratory's EQ's. In his pdf's at the bottom he describes which filters to change to influence various "sound descriptors" (like bass / shoutiness / airiness) - you'd get more targeted results doing that to fix your IEM's, and then you'd probably use my Tone Control Filter to broadly change tonality for music recordings that are too bright or too dull. But I'm pleased you've found a use for the Tilt Control filter I came up with.

m8o

Forum Donor
...but more to deal with the subtle variances in Circle of Confusion within the music recording process...
I thought it had to do with photograph. I guess by definition it doesnt make a difference.

Definition: A group of people standing and/or sitting in a circular arraignment attempting to both explain and understand "circle of confusion". :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom