• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tice TPT Enhanced Line Conditioner Review

Rate this power conditioner

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 224 94.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 5.0%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the vintage Tice TPT Enhanced Line Conditioner/enhancer. It was kindly sent to me by a member. I can't find its original cost (used is about $100):
Tice-Audio TPT treated Power Line Enhancer audio stereo review.jpg

Despite the use of dovetails on the sides, this is a very cheap looking box. The cord and termination are typical household products which today no one would be caught dead using.

There is very little historic information about this box. But there is a ton on how Tice got its reputation: modifying a Radio Shack clock to improve the sound fidelity in your room! The thing was called the Tice Clock.

The product here seems to just be something you just plug into to the wall in parallel with your cords (there is no outlet). The back box was glued but I was able to pry it off to peak inside:
Tice-Audio TPT treated Power Line Enhancer audio stereo teardown review.jpg

Seems like they just wrapped the wire every which way and then poured some kind of goop and cured hard giving the unit some weight.

Tice TPT Enhanced Line Conditioner Measurements
As usual, we start with measuring my current power line quality (an industrial power strip that is feeding all of my gear including audio equipment being tested):
Raw AC Spectrum FFT analysis measurement.png

I am using a 100:1 attenuator so the voltage is 122.3 volts. As usual in addition to our primary tone at 60 Hz which we are interested in, a bunch of harmonic distortion and noise comes for the ride. Let's now plug the Tice in parallel and see if anything changes:
Tice-Audio TPT treated Power Line Enhancer audio measurement.png

Nothing changes other than typical run to run variations. But maybe the magic is above audible band. Let's go crazy with a 1 MHz bandwidth (50X human hearing) spectrum measurement:
Tice-Audio TPT treated Power Line Enhancer FFT audio measurement.png

Despite measuring down some 25 dB below threshold of hearing, we see nothing different. Which is as it should be as there is nothing in this box that would do anything to the AC waveform other than presenting an antenna to pick up more noise.

Tice TPT Enhanced Listening Tests
I used my everyday setup of my computer driving RME ADI-2 Pro audio interface driving my Dan Clark Stealth headphones. I listened with the Tice TPT Enhanced plugged in and not. Either with fast AB or longer listening, there was no difference whatsoever observable by my ears.

Conclusions
It is "good" to dig into some of the early products that started this audio tweak business. While not one of their more popular products, we can see that the secret sauce was some goop which is commonly used to pot electronics. It presents no effect on AC waveform and even if it did, your audio gear already has industrial strength filtering so wouldn't make a difference.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome. Click here if you have some audio gear you want me to test.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

rynberg

Forum Donor

Soria Moria

Some hilarious related reading: https://www.stereophile.com/content...trotec-ep-c-clocks-thomas-j-norton-march-1991
‘Which brings us to yours truly. I did my initial listening with two Tice clocks in my system, since feedback has indicated that two work "better" than one (footnote 1).’
Why not one hundred Tice clocks? When does the scaling end?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A fool and his money soon part ways.

TK750

Got to say I'm impressed, that's a very effective way to protect their trade secrets. You opened the case and all the precise and carefully selected electronics turned into goop. Perhaps not the most repair friendly mechanism though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got to say I'm impressed, that's a very effective way to protect their trade secrets. You opened the case and all the precise and carefully selected electronics turned into goop. Perhaps not the most repair friendly mechanism though.
The circuitry was too complicated for us to understand, in any event.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TPT? Tiny placebo test?
You say that, but I bet the soundstage wrapped around the room, went out the front door and wandered in the front yard until someone's wife heard it from the kitchen.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Looks to me to be a Firebox. Where does wire terminate exactly? Obviously when you plug it in it becomes live right. How and to what is this terminated ? A block of dried B.S. could become flammable. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. Apparently the B.S. has been thick and heavy for a long time. More evidence of the need for a neutral testing environment to report the unblemished truth. ;)

id.ray

They forgot to cross the wires perpendicular to each other.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks to me to be a Firebox. Where does wire terminate exactly? Obviously when you plug it in it becomes live right. How and to what is this terminated ? A block of dried B.S. could become flammable. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. Apparently the B.S. has been thick and heavy for a long time. More evidence of the need for a neutral testing environment to report the unblemished truth. ;)
If wound up in enough coils it would become hot for sure. Like a degausser does.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AudiOhm

Reminds me of Blue Circle Audio, they were eventually shut down for selling non "CSA" approved products in Canada...

Blue Circle Audio.jpg

Ohms

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Stick it in a fancy milled aluminium enclosure and wrap the cord in a fancy braid then send it to Roger Skoff Positive Feedback and watch him lose his shit.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
TPT? Tiny placebo test?
Tice Pulse Treatment, which according to this article is a powerful proprietary pulsed radiation in-house treatment including but not limited to magnetism. We can hardly expect a single TP treatment session 20 years ago to still be effective. Perhaps for a fee we can get the line conditioner re-treated and then retested.

Top Bottom