• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This active crossover will be good for my speakers?

OP
CosmicJazz

CosmicJazz

Uow, just discovered the existence of tube active crossovers!

I can't imagine you guys recommending a tube crossover, as all the best recommendations are go trough the DSP route.. :)

but hey... tell me more about it, very curious to know, what's the point of a tube crossover?

Thanks!

OP
CosmicJazz

CosmicJazz

Oh, by the way, I was thinking about another multi amp possibility, don't know if works, appreciate if you guys can explain in order for me to lear more...

It's possible multi amp with active crossover, using a integrated amp with pre out feeding the amps for low frequencies, and the integrated powering the high frequencies drivers....

The pre out works that way?

Many thanks if you guys can clarify this possibility for me, best regards.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Uow, just discovered the existence of tube active crossovers!

I can't imagine you guys recommending a tube crossover, as all the best recommendations are go trough the DSP route.. :)

but hey... tell me more about it, very curious to know, what's the point of a tube crossover?

Thanks!
Indeed, what's the point, other than to make money selling to those who go in for these things. I can't think of a single rational reason for a tube crossover.

S.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, by the way, I was thinking about another multi amp possibility, don't know if works, appreciate if you guys can explain in order for me to lear more...

It's possible multi amp with active crossover, using a integrated amp with pre out feeding the amps for low frequencies, and the integrated powering the high frequencies drivers....

The pre out works that way?

Many thanks if you guys can clarify this possibility for me, best regards.
Yes, that'll work provided that the integrated amp can separate the pre and power sections so the integrated's power amp gets its input from the crossover, not the preamp directly.

S.

OP
CosmicJazz

CosmicJazz

For example:

The pre out goes to a solid state amp, for power the woofers, so this amp goes to the Low connections on the crossover.

But I not understand where is the integrated output to goes to the mid and high crossover inputs...

I presume there's a way right? and the preamp / control amp, section of the integrated will control the solid state amp
that are connected to the preout, together with the integrated power amp section?

Is that how will works?

Appreciate very much if you can clarify this for me.. I hope that I was clear.. many thanks sir.

OP
CosmicJazz

CosmicJazz

Oh... wait a minute, I think I figured out :D I was confused about outputs...

Integrated pre out goes to the amp dedicated for the low frequencies, this amp of course, connect to the input low on the cross over.

integrated speakers outputs goes to mid and low frequencies crossover inputs.

So, I presume that the volume control on the integrated preamp section, controls at the same time, his ow power amp, as well the solid state amp connected to the pre out.

Correct?

Please let me know, many thanks!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh... wait a minute, I think I figured out :D I was confused about outputs...

Integrated pre out goes to the amp dedicated for the low frequencies, this amp of course, connect to the input low on the cross over.

integrated speakers outputs goes to mid and low frequencies crossover inputs.

So, I presume that the volume control on the integrated preamp section, controls at the same time, his ow power amp, as well the solid state amp connected to the pre out.

Correct?

Please let me know, many thanks!

No, that won't work. The integrated amplifier's power amp section has to get its input from the output of the crossover. Normally, an integrated amplifier's power amp is connected directly to the output of the preamp section, so an integrated can't be used this way. A few integrated amps do have a link between pre and power amps which can be removed thus allowing direct access to the power amp section. This sort of integrated is effective a completely separate pre and power amp, just in the same box. Your Luxman does have a separate input for the power amp section with a switch to remove the connection between pre and power amp. With this, you can indeed feed the pre-amp output to the crossover, and the treble output of the crossover to the Luxman's power section. The bass output of the crossover can then go to another power amp.

It is normally better to let valves handle the mid/treble and use SS for the bass, as transformers tend to distort more at LF.

S.

OP
CosmicJazz

CosmicJazz

Thanks for the info, will try to find a integrated with the capability to do this to see If I will be able to understand, still confused, but thanks, will take a look at this this week..

OP
CosmicJazz

CosmicJazz

I think I understood, please let me know if I'm correct:

In order to use this integrated for the highs and mids, I must connect the the integrated input labeled as "main in" into the L and R (Mid), and L and R (High) on the crossover?

What about the Pre Out? if i connect the solid state amp into the pre out of the Integrated, how I will connect the solid state amp into the cross over?

Here's a picture of the back of the integrated, if you can tell me step by step I really appreciate, best regards!

luxman.jpg

Krunok

Major Contributor
No offense, but I think you should take some time and read some basic stuff before jumping into a project like this.

OP
CosmicJazz

CosmicJazz

Thanks for your time, appreciated the efforts that you made to explain me anyway.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

In order to use this integrated for the highs and mids, I must connect the the integrated input labeled as "main in" into the L and R (Mid), and L and R (High) on the crossover?

What about the Pre Out? if i connect the solid state amp into the pre out of the Integrated, how I will connect the solid state amp into the cross over?

Here's a picture of the back of the integrated, if you can tell me step by step I really appreciate, best regards!

View attachment 32995
The pre-out sockets go to the crossover inputs. The front panel switch is set to separate.

The crossover's treble outputs go to the Main In inputs

The Crossover's bass outputs go to a second power amp.

The treble driver of the loudspeaker is connected to the Speakers A sockets. Speakers B sockets are ignored
The bass driver of the loudspeaker is connected to the loudspeaker output of the second power amp.

The volume is controlled by the volume control on the front panel of the Luxman.

Sources go to the various inputs of the Luxman.

S.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

View attachment 32995
You can use an amp like this with an external active crossover and extra power amps (two extra power amps for triamping). The channel that will use this pieces power amp is fed into the "Main In" input presumably you would use it for the treble channel. I have done this in the sixties when biamping. It worked fine.

However:
The name of this forum is Audio SCIENCE Review consequently you will get better advice here than anywhere else. (I have been an electronics nut since 1959 and I got interested in audio in 1968 and I have never seen a better forum nor club, where everyone is interested in FACTUAL information) Consequently, except for the fact that output transformers will offer some measure of tweeter and midrange protection there NO ADVANTAGE to tube equipment and likely disadvantages. Luxman does know how to build excellent gear. But you will have to replace tubes from time to time. There is no good reason to use tubes. They are LESS ACCURATE. They add harmonics that people think sound better (usually).

We can see that you are new by the questions you ask and the things you don't know. Probably you are also under the influence of someone who "knows" that tubes sound better. They don't. Vinyl does not sound better either. I have seven feet wide of records. If I could get each one with a CD of the same master I would get rid of them in a heartbeat. CDs are QUIET. But they can make huge sforzando s without throwing the stylus out of a groove or making other parts of the signal disappear.

Tube active crossovers have been around since the 1950s. There is nothing whatever to recommend them and likely things to NOT recommend them. The Marchand mentioned above is an excellent unit, beautifully made. A little bit pricey. A local friend of mine has one and he might sell it for a reasonable price if you are interested. (Here in St. Louis in the middle of the USA we are awash in equipment)

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@CosmicJazz If you insist, here is a connection diagram I came up with. It is not the only way, just what seems most sensible to me (or least non-sensible, depending on your perspective :)).
active-crossover.jpg

EDIT: Added a picture of the "separate" switch. The "separate" switch must be in the "ON" position.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
OP
CosmicJazz

CosmicJazz

Hey guys, very grateful for your patience in teaching me!

Much more clear for me know with the NTW drawing, many thanks for your time man!

Let me ask you, there's still a possibility similar to this diagram, but still use the luxman tube integrated for the mids too?

Many thanks!

OP
CosmicJazz

CosmicJazz

If is possible for you make a drawing, using this pictures, just where the connections goes, It will be 100% sure that I will be able to understand... without the need for a separated power amp for the mids, luxman integrated used for the mids and highs, still little confused, but is getting better already! grateful for the patience, many many thanks:
luxman.jpg

f.jpg

Attachments

• luxman.jpg
    luxman.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 75
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 92

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me ask you, there's still a possibility similar to this diagram, but still use the luxman tube integrated for the mids too?

So you want our advice, except for the parts you don't agree with? :)

OP
CosmicJazz

CosmicJazz

I understood guys, Just would like to know if it's possible to send the power in from the integrated to the HF and MF on the crossover, with cable splitter, in order to eliminated thee use of a separated amp for the mids, it's possible, but not recommended right?

Top Bottom