• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This active crossover will be good for my speakers?

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I understood guys, Just would like to know if it's possible to send the power in from the integrated to the HF and MF on the crossover, with cable splitter, in order to eliminated thee use of a separated amp for the mids, it's possible, but not recommended right?
You could do that but it would be kind of "half-assed" It would be better than a full range high level crossover. But with power amps so inexpensive why would you do this.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understood guys, Just would like to know if it's possible to send the power in from the integrated to the HF and MF on the crossover, with cable splitter, in order to eliminated thee use of a separated amp for the mids, it's possible, but not recommended right?
Always happy to help our fellow audio enthusiasts to part with their money realize their dreams :D

To use the LX-380 to drive both MF and HF will require setting operating the cross-over in 2-way mode, which the Fostex EN3000 can do. However, we'll need a simplified passive cross-over to separate the highs for the HF horn and the mids for the MF horn.

I am no speaker design expert, so you may want to check my cross over modifications with a real expert. I hacked up the Fostex suggested cross-over in the third example in the Fostex W300AII recommended enclosure application note. Because the simplified passive cross-over only needs to deal with MF and HF, I removed the attentuator for the D1405 MF horn as the T925A HF horn is 4 dB more efficient. Only the T925A will need an attenuator to balance the sound output. I also removed the low frequency reject filter for the MF horn as we won't need it anymore (the active cross-over already filtered out the low frequency).

For this to work, set the EN3000 cross-over to mode "2WAY-1" and set FILTER 1 frequency to 800 Hz. FILTER 2 and "high output" "mid output" are not used in the "2WAY-1" mode. Here is the connection diagram.

[EDIT] Oops. I've made a mistake. The "mid output" is not used instead of the "high output". I've updated the diagram.

active-crossover2.jpg

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main issues against a passive mid/high filter are that firstly, one can't easily adjust the levels between the three drivers, and secondly, that one can't then apply DSP to the mid/highs separately to do things like time-alignment. It may be possible to apply EQ over the mid/highs, but more difficult.

Also, using a passive crossover means that the slopes will be 12, possibly 18dB/octave at best, whereas a DSP-based three-way crossover can do 48dB/octave easily. Given the low cost of electronics these days, if one's going to go to the cost and complexity of a three-way loudspeaker it does seem 'half-assed", in Gene's words, to do it as a semi-active/passive system.

S.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main issues against a passive mid/high filter are that firstly, one can't easily adjust the levels between the three drivers, and secondly, that one can't then apply DSP to the mid/highs separately to do things like time-alignment. It may be possible to apply EQ over the mid/highs, but more difficult.

Also, using a passive crossover means that the slopes will be 12, possibly 18dB/octave at best, whereas a DSP-based three-way crossover can do 48dB/octave easily. Given the low cost of electronics these days, if one's going to go to the cost and complexity of a three-way loudspeaker it does seem 'half-assed", in Gene's words, to do it as a semi-active/passive system.

S.
I totally agree with you. If this were my project, I'll just get a Hypex FusionAmp plate amp for each speaker and be done with it. They come with very high quality amplification, includes a DSP engine to cross-over/EQ to my heart's content, and not dump a few hundred watts of heat into the room.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@CosmicJazz perhaps I missed this, but what are your sources going to this speaker system? In other words, is it all digital (i.e. computer audio) or analog sources like turn table/cart setup, or TV or?

OP
CosmicJazz

CosmicJazz

Source is vinyl, hey guys many thanks for all the feedbacks, will take a closer look this days at the solution presented by NTK, not quite understood what will be the difference in sound quality, between send the integrated power amp in to highs and minds on the crossover Vs. the solution suggested by NTK, where still have some passive crossover on the signal path...

Will take a look with time this days for understand better...

Many thanks everybody, best regards to all.

jmpsmash

my 2 cents. I am in the process of building a similar setup, though with different drivers it is still a 4 way.

I agree with many here that an active digital crossover is the way to go.

Most other active DSP crossover has analog in, they then have a chain of having a DAC from your digital source (I assume) and the ADC into the crossover, and then DAC again back to analog to be amplified. That's a lot of conversions.

I went one step further to use a pure digital DSP, the minidsp DDRC88D. The advantage is that you feed SPDIF directly into the DDRC88D and the crossover is done directly in the digital domain. the DDRC88D then spits out 4x stereo SPDIF into your DACs.

However, the DDRC88D scheme does require a separate multi channel DAC, or many stereo DACs. Which can get costly. but since you already prepare to go through path of the Sony crossover, it probably still cost less! I managed to scramble a few existing DACs (who doesn't have a few?!) so I only need to buy one more.

the DDRC88D has 8 channel output and thus can handle 4 way. it also has a digital volume control so in theory you can, and I have tried, wiring the DACs directly into the power amps. This creates a very clean sound. In theory, you do lose some resolution for it being done in the digital domain. however, DDRC88D is supposed to process in floating point and it can output 96/24 so it is not that bad.

the whole chain is basically:

digital source --> DDRC88D crossover --> multi-ch DACs --> multi-ch power amp --> speakers

with only analog being after the DACs. I don't think you can get any shorter than that.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom