• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help building DIY digital active crossovers

312elements

I'm getting all of my ducks in a row for digital active crossovers and I'm interested in any personal experiences regarding software. Not sure if it matters, but I'll also add that this will be a 3 way plus subwoofers. The options I'm currently considering are using something like a raspberry pi with a flavor of linux or one of those low power PC dongles. Any suggestions in support of one over the other are welcome. The final product will be used for both consuming video content via appleTV as well as Roon so I'd like to avoid relying on Roon for anything other than music streaming.

Thanks in advance.

OP
312elements

312elements

I'd use a Flex Eight, or Flex HT/HTx.
While a great suggestion I’ll be using computer based DSP (instead of sharc) for additional versatility.

OP
312elements

312elements

@JayGilb thank you. I’m currently working through a post here on ekio and wrapping my head around it. Was this the only tool you tried? It certainly looks robust.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Maybe some inspiration for you here?

Or here:

Or here:

Esp. at the end of the last one things might get interesting for you.

HTH!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used Dephonica, and JRiver as well as the miniDSP software. Dephonica is like Ekio, only it's freeware. Rephase and Equalizer APO can also be used to construct crossover filters. For that matter, both aCCourate and Audiolense, which are digital room and speaker correction programs, also have the capability of constructing crossover filters.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How will you be getting AppleTV sound in your device? Unless you have a very old version, it only has HDMI out. Som either you’ll need an HDMI extractor, or use AirPlay. The latter is probably sub-optimal.

As for a pi, that should work fine. Check out CamilaDSP, it can do all the DSP magic and more.

OP
312elements

312elements

How will you be getting AppleTV sound in your device? Unless you have a very old version, it only has HDMI out. Som either you’ll need an HDMI extractor, or use AirPlay. The latter is probably sub-optimal.

As for a pi, that should work fine. Check out CamilaDSP, it can do all the DSP magic and more.
I’m currently using an extractor with i2s into a Pontus 12th, but the extractor also outputs spdif so I’ll be using that with the new rig. I can’t use the Pontus for this project as the way the FIFO buffer works the delay is variable. Camilla DSP continues to come up as suggestion and the price is hard to beat, so it’s definitely in the running.

OP
312elements

312elements

Maybe some inspiration for you here?

Or here:

Or here:

Esp. at the end of the last one things might get interesting for you.

HTH!
Thank you. I was familiar with the first two, but hadn’t gotten to the end of the last one. Pretty cool that multichannel like this appears to be on the horizon. Currently just looking for a fairly straightforward 2 channel setup so it seems like the possibilities are endless.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One issue with processing video sound will be latency. With an OS comes layers of buffers on top of the processing delay. Something to consider.

OP
312elements

312elements

One issue with processing video sound will be latency. With an OS comes layers of buffers on top of the processing delay. Something to consider.
Any advice for minimizing delay? I assumed it would be easy to delay the video on ATV, but a quick search suggests that’s not a thing.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any advice for minimizing delay?
If you can configure buffers, make them as small as possible ;)
I assumed it would be easy to delay the video on ATV, but a quick search suggests that’s not a thing.
No idea… usually it’s the TV or AVR that tells the device the audio/video timing difference. Maybe your TV has a setting to tweak this.

Top Bottom