• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The wait is over: Genelec 8381A point source main monitor has arrived

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure they sound very good. Now, I read somewhere weight and measures: these monitors are gigantic: you have to explain to me where I should put them. I'd spend 70k to get this same performance, but loudspeakers have to be the size of a shoebox
Very funny ;)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it would be more helpful to continue the talk in the older and bigger thread which would be edited also in its title including the 8381a designation?

That old thread is 29 pages of speculative thoughts. Glad there is a new thread for this.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Q: What is meant by constant delay and phase? What are then the real-world advantages of having constant delay and phase?
A: See the numerical explanation below (copied from the brochure). Small group delay variation and linear phase response result in improved sound quality. There are other manufacturers as well who put a lot of emphasis to produce phase linear loudspeakers, such as Meyer Sound, Kii Audio, Dutch & Dutch, just to name a few recent ones. This is not the first Genelec to have such qualities, for example all current The Ones models are designed using the same principles.

1684264404002.png

Q: The crossover frequencies are now precised to be "50–130 Hz (variable), 150–250 Hz (variable), c 500 Hz, 1800 Hz". Without revealing the secret sauce of the GLM software, could you give pointers on how these variable crossover frequencies are chosen?
A: Variable crossover frequencies are chosen based on the in-house developed WooferCal algorithm introduced in the W371A. It measures each individual channel’s in-room response and selects the crossovers which produce the best end result.

Q: How do you deal with the comb filtering problem?
A: By designing a monitoring loudspeaker which does not have a comb filtering problem. See the published off-axis frequency response data.

Q: Is there a passive crossover filter between the coax tweeter and midrange?
A: No, all filters are active.

Q: Can the top unit be bought separately?
A: No, the 8381A is sold only as a full unit which includes the top and bottom cabinets and their respectable amplifiers. You would not buy a car without a gearbox either, it would not work as intended (yes, I am aware there are cars without gearboxes).

Q: How many channels/ways are there?
A: Five individual channels: coax tweeter, coax midrange, quad midrange, front woofer, dual side woofers. Each driven with their own amplifier channel.

Q: Will the new coaxial driver see itself as an upgrade for smaller The Ones models?
A: No, the 8381A coaxial is completely different design and would not acoustically or mechanically fit to smaller The Ones models. For example, the cone angle is much steeper which is required for the narrower dispersion. Also, the compression tweeter is required for the high SPL capability.

Q: Are the quad midrange dome drivers off-the-shelf units?
A: No, they are completely designed and manufactured in-house at Genelec.

Q: Is the compression tweeter the same as in S360A?
A: No, 8381A has a smaller 13 mm (½-in) throat which is needed for the 35 kHz top end extension.

Q: What material is the cabinet made of?
A: Cabinets are made of premium quality MDF with critical bracing to minimize panel vibrations. The large DCW housing the coax and quad midrange units is made of aluminium.

Q: How much?
A: MSRP is not public information due to POA pricing approach. We will kindly ask you to contact the nearest Genelec dealer or distributor for local pricing and availability.

Newman

Major Contributor
Small group delay variation and linear phase response result in improved sound quality.
Can you show any independent research validating this claim? Including the point at which further reductions are inaudible, please?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How was the price confirmed at $70k or is this a guess?

Newman

Major Contributor
Q: Is the compression tweeter the same as in S360A?
A: No, 8381A has a smaller 13 mm (½-in) throat which is needed for the 35 kHz top end extension.
What audible benefits are you claiming to achieve from a 35 kHz top end?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
I meant I can't afford to power the almost 6k W.
Strangely they state 2200 watt consumption in full power in their specs.

2.2.PNG
What audible benefits are you claiming to achieve from a 35 kHz top end?
I would love to see a 15Khz SINAD measurement with a 40Khz bandwidth for their amps as they have to reproduce that,right?

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Do they come with ceiling mounts? I’m looking for some nice Atmos speakers…

Top Bottom