• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The wait is over: Genelec 8381A point source main monitor has arrived

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think our resident experts in the other thread have already decided it's unlistenable lol

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Too cheap, 70,000 USD ? why not 700,000 ? i guess Genelec is only for rich people... not crazy rich

Im pretty sure there is plenty of studios that want to do the same task but paying 70,000

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Too cheap, 70,000 USD ? why not 700,000 ? i guess Genelec is only for rich people... not crazy rich

Im pretty sure there is plenty of studios that want to do the same task but paying 70,000
It's a pro speaker. They follow their own pricing rules.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Too ugly, too.
Shape of things…

IMG_4011.jpeg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

wwenze

Major Contributor
I can definitely see why they want to laser-beam the midrange dome.

But a midrange dome that is laser-beam? How will they match tweeter directivity?

And this thing is definitely going to be problematic nearfield... which based on the size of the speaker is a pretty big distance

How is this going to work except in an actual theater

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

But a midrange dome that is laser-beam? How will they match tweeter directivity?

And this thing is definitely going to be problematic nearfield... which based on the size of the speaker is a pretty big distance

I have a feeling that no one is using these as near field monitors.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DSJR

Major Contributor
Too ugly, too.
What, compared to the Wilson monstrosities that sell to very wealthy high end clients?

I'd say these Genelecs are rather restrained myself and I seriously wish them all the very best in sales volumes to those lucky enough to afford, house and properly understand them in the pursuit of fantastic music reproduction.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This MDC driver shares a common acoustical axis with the 8381A’s four complementary 5-inch dome drivers which are arranged as a midrange transduction system…
Does anyone know what transduction means in this context? Never heard it used before other than in biology.

Could it be a typo for transducer?

napfkuchen

Minimum listening distance is 1m according to the specs. But why would any one use this in the nearfield?

The high SPL capability, combined with the minimum listening distance, means it is more suitable for use as a midfield or main monitor. But then the point source feature is rather dispensable. And finally, as a free standing loudspeaker it is actually a very expensive "emergency solution" compared to flush-mounted alternatives.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Main monitors are meant for like 5m+ listening distances in larger studios. They're pointless overkill for small or medium sized rooms and they tend to have worse measurements than the smaller speakers in the pursuit of SPL anyways.

W371A is still the go-to solution at 4m and under, IMO.

Directivity looks fine to me for a main monitor:

8381a_horizontal_directivity.png

8381a_vertical_directivity.png

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
…as a free standing loudspeaker it is actually a very expensive "emergency solution" compared to flush-mounted alternatives.
What do you mean by “emergency solution”?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Main monitors are meant for like 5m+ listening distances in larger studios. They're pointless overkill for small or medium sized rooms and they tend to have worse measurements than the smaller speakers in the pursuit of SPL anyways.

W371A is still the go-to solution at 4m and under, IMO.

Directivity looks fine to me for a main monitor:

8381a_horizontal_directivity.png

8381a_vertical_directivity.png
Are those figures for 8381A? If so may I ask where did you get them?

Ignore, when I checked the product page was not live but now I see that it is.

Top Bottom