• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The wait is over: Genelec 8381A point source main monitor has arrived

YSC

Major Contributor
I think this graphs show more clearly a bit of widening directivity 600-1000hz. Dont know how much of a problem it is but it looks less than perfect View attachment 285849
the line graph spin looks less than perfect with a 1khz widening directivity, but since the vertical directivity is exceptional as the one's series is, I believe the actual in room sound would be great compared to non-coaxial solutions.

fineMen

Major Contributor
the line graph spin looks less than perfect with a 1khz widening directivity, but since the vertical directivity is exceptional ...
Still an issue if 'perfection' is the companies second name. Especially in this case where the effort was focussed so much on getting directivity reight. The four midranges didn't work out.

I'm tempted to ask why that pattern has been accepted. My motivation originates in my own failures with "interference machines". Last was my bass guitar speaker that should radiate as diffuse as possible. Nope, the nasty irregularities were there, but gravitated towards one or the other barycenter.

YSC

Major Contributor
Still an issue if 'perfection' is the companies second name. Especially in this case where the effort was focussed so much on getting directivity reight. The four midranges didn't work out.

I'm tempted to ask why that pattern has been accepted. My motivation originates in my own failures with "interference machines". Last was my bass guitar speaker that should radiate as diffuse as possible. Nope, the nasty irregularities were there, but gravitated towards one or the other barycenter.
True though, in actual it should be better than most non point source main monitors in the vertical directivity domain combined but not as what I was hoping, seems 8361+w371 would be a better overall setup. Maybe they did so just for the sake of max SPL capability, but if I have the money I would go for 836+w371 route

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's as if they were designed by an AI created by a race of space aliens with no awareness of, need for, or capabiity of creating anything aesthetically pleasing.
So, typical pro aesthetics ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These are made for professional studios, not some trust fund, internet pseudo-nerds mother's basement.
Yeah. Some of these comments are very silly. I hope for their sake that they are joking.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Screenshot_2023-05-18_152454.jpg
I have seen that configuration, with tweeter (tweeter/midrange) in the middle and four midranges in the corners on DIY pages.
Here are some different variations on the theme. The idea is probably to reduce problems, or challenges with various reflections with such types of designs, page 72:

Here are Erin's thoughts on the Genelec 8381A::)

Attachments

• Sketchup doubled woofers.png
    Sketchup doubled woofers.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Sketchup 8 woofers.png
    Sketchup 8 woofers.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 16 driver red wg.png
    16 driver red wg.png
    121 KB · Views: 135
  • 3DCT screenshot 8vs16 woofers.png
    3DCT screenshot 8vs16 woofers.png
    866.4 KB · Views: 147

YSC

Major Contributor
View attachment 286334
I have seen that configuration, with tweeter (tweeter/midrange) in the middle and four midranges in the corners on DIY pages.
Here are some different variations on the theme. The idea is probably to reduce problems, or challenges with various reflections with such types of designs, page 72:

Here are Erin's thoughts on the Genelec 8381A::)

one thing I have finally realized when watching Erin's video, previously I was watching on the small iphone SE, and the directivity error looks not so perfect as what I will expect from them, but Erin have reminded that the directivity plot is of 25db scale, so the directivity error, if normalized to the normal 50db scale, that would be something like a +/-2db dip and peak, so it shouldn't really be an issue, especially it's horizontal and vertical directivity is the same due to coaxial design

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Izz cheep compared to some of Wilson Audio's offerings.
There are so many companies in this industry with far higher pricing. Do they publish their specs? Do we know what kind of output and distortion numbers they put out?

They all hide behind “it’s amp and room dependent” at best. At worst they’ll make you buy $10k cables and that’s the entry level cable.

The actual problem the 8381a solves costs way more to solve in other ways. The others just ignore that problem and dazzle you with all kinds of nonsense.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
These are made for professional studios, not some trust fund, internet pseudo-nerds mother's basement.

I assumed trust fund babies lived in pool-houses, not basements.

Edit: mildly annoyed by second thread on this speaker, thanks OP. :facepalm:

Last edited:

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How many channels of amplification do these amp modules have?
Every amp uses one speakon connector but speakon is also available as a 4 pole and 8 pole connector.

We have 9 drivers in total so 2x8-pole speakon plugs could only power 8 drivers.
Does that mean that the coax has a passive crossover?

Or is it just a 4 pole speakon connector which powers the front bass driver, both side bass drivers, the 4 midranges and the coax which also has a passive crossover in this case?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Every amp uses one speakon connector but speakon is also available as a 4 pole and 8 pole connector.

We have 9 drivers in total so 2x8-pole speakon plugs could only power 8 drivers.

Or is it just a 4 pole speakon connector which powers the front bass driver, both side bass drivers, the 4 midranges and the coax which also has a passive crossover in this case?

I expect the lower-mid set is treated as one speaker/channel. I also think they said there was no passive in-box going on.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can definitely see why they want to laser-beam the midrange dome.

But a midrange dome that is laser-beam? How will they match tweeter directivity?

And this thing is definitely going to be problematic nearfield... which based on the size of the speaker is a pretty big distance

How is this going to work except in an actual theater

Most speakers are designed in a universe where coaxial drivers don't exist. This is designed by the premiere company using coaxial speakers.

I don't know that it's a good assumption to assume that a speaker with a point source design won't be good nearfield...

I'd be an order of magnitude more worried about the next products other companies are going to release and how they will possible fire and rehire a whole new set of engineers to care at all ever about actual directivity instead of feigning ignorance and totally ignoring vertical directivity and point source design advantages.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It won't fit in my listening room.

Newman

Major Contributor
The actual problem the 8381a solves costs way more to solve in other ways. The others just ignore that problem and dazzle you with all kinds of nonsense.
and that ^^^ is exactly the point...
Wall mounting is a way cheaper solution in most studios. In fact, even with concrete walls, you could implement an entire false wall for much cheaper.

So, let’s specifiy correctly. The 8381A may be the cheapest way to solve the actual problem it solves, if you are unwilling to do it the cheapest way. LOL

dedobot

5 way system . 1- both side firing woofers. 2 - front firing woofer . 3 - the 4 mids around horn , 4 - central mid driver, 5 - the tweeter. Bottom and upper sections have separate inputs.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
5 way system . 1- both side firing woofers. 2 - front firing woofer . 3 - the 4 mids around horn , 4 - central mid driver, 5 - the tweeter. Bottom and upper sections have separate inputs.
Do they all get a dedicated channel of amplification or is there a passive crossover somewhere

Top Bottom