• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most comfortable headphones: a) Open b) Closed

EZ Meno

Velour earpads that are large enough make headphones comfortable for me. Leather/leatherette get too sweaty. DT770s are comfy and AKG Q701s even better. The bumps in the Q701 headband never bothered me. I must be hardheaded ;P. Soundwise, both seem to have some sharpness in the highs, but that only bothers me if I turn the volume up, which I rarely do. At low/moderate levels I enjoy the sound, especially Q701.

samwell7

Closed: Sony MDR-7520
Open: Koss PortaPro (with comfortzone on light) or K702 (newer model without bumps on the headband)

rxp

Open backs - DT990's or Phillips Fidelio X2HRs. I prefer the DT990's for the summer though - the material is a lot less sweaty.

Closed backs - I find the Aurvana Live extremely comfortable - they are super light and have very cooling pads. No sweaty ears! With ANC the XM3's are easily the most comfortable for me. The Bose 700s have grown on me a ton since I first got them. I can now wear them for hours. But all closed back ANC's get sweaty in the summer.

I was hoping the recent Apple Headphones would do the magic they did with the Air Pods Pro. The APP's for me are essentially an insert type IEM that has extreme noise isolation that converts into an earbud type. The minimisation of the occlusion effect, the psychological feeling that your ears aren't blocked etc. Nothing else comes close. I was hoping the Headphones would be similar - an open back that could convert into a closed back.

KSTR

Major Contributor
HD800 are the most comfy open backs I've used. Sony ZR1 would get my vote for closed back.
My vote goes for the HD700, it is actually even more comfortable than the HD800 IMHO. You simply forget you are wearing one, unlike than any other headphone I've ever tried.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
The most comfortable headphones I've tried:

1612615239711.png

Even though the foam earpads have long since disintegrated and turned to dust, they are so light that they are still comfortable.

If I could have this level of lightness and comfort with the sound of the Focal Clear, or the AKG 371, I'd be really happy. :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Open is definitely the hd800 for me, for reasons others have stated. Im sure the hd700 would be similar.

Closed is harder. The Audio Technica woodies are a nightmare for fit, lcd xc are very comfy but too heavy.

I don't own any but the closed Beyers would be good for comfort based on my experience with the opens. Whether the sonic experience is comfortable, ymmv it would seem

Amitdubey

Nothing comes close to hifiman Arya when it comes to comfort at that fidelity level

alexrus

Sennheinser HD5xx: 555, 558, 595, 560S .... (except 580, 58x) - very lightweight and comfortable. HD800 are little less comfy and heavier

JackStraw5877

Despite being cost prohibitive for me to own, the Meze Empyrean is the most comfortable set of ‘phones my dome has ever donned.

domiji

For me the most comfortable Headphones are my Grado GS 1000. Super lightweight and the G-Cuhsion Pads are just awesome.

sacguy231

My vote goes for the HD700, it is actually even more comfortable than the HD800 IMHO. You simply forget you are wearing one, unlike than any other headphone I've ever tried.

Agreed, the HD700 is the most comfy can I've ever owned. I also have the HD800s which is extremely comfortable, but it is one step behind the 700. For closed I agree the Z1R is super comfortable, I can wear it for hours on end. Another very comfortable open can is the Amiron Home. I am very sensitive to anything touching my ears and the above cans all work well for me.

Maes Hughes

Another vote for Meze Empyrean on the open side. They are more comfortable than having nothing on my head at all. Closed for me are ZMF Atticus with magnesium hardware for weight reduction.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Right now, the Drop 6XX are the most comfortable, though sound quality is a comfort issue for me. I've got the Sennheiser HD 579 and 599, they are about as comfortable to wear but not to hear. I'm listening a lot to the AKG K371 right now, have no "comfort issues" so far. Not quite as good as the Drop 6XX, but not bothersome either. Pretty good for closed-back 'phones.

Top Bottom