• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most comfortable headphones: a) Open b) Closed

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I wonder if there is a perception bias that comfortable headphones sound better, or better sounding headphones are more comfortable. (Not limited to these two options, just a passing thought)

Grado are everything but confortable to me, they sound much better than a "siberia elite prism" I got for gaming and chatting, but I usually end up plugging the latter to my small xduoo-xd05 dac when listening to pretty much anything because after a while my ears do not hurt. In my experience then, I just use the better sounding headphones for "special" listening, and there is a clear difference in sound quality between them.

usersky

Forum Donor
Open: Philips Shp9500. On the open side I consider the next one DROP+HIFIMAN HE4XX (strage, I know) followed by Sennheiser HD600 and AKG K712Pro (a bit loose and haning on the top of my ears). Closed, not that I have many: Sony WH-1000XM3. But open is by far more comfortable. That Philips SHP9500 really beats them all. A bit unusual, I like the small on the ear Sennheiser HD238 precision, the best on the ear of what I tried.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
Sennheiser Momentum over-ear are closed and my most comfortable. Very light with soft leather earcups.

HE-400i sound better, not great for walking around though.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would that be? It is only the back of the diaphragm that is open so the bit next to the head is equally closed in both types.

So I've been thinking the driver is suspended in a open space all this time... I saw pics of the open design of the Sennheiser 8xx series and they seemed to be suspended in a open space and I equated that with my HD598SR to being a similar arrangement. Thanks for the heads up. :facepalm:

I do think there are some like that but not the majority afaik.

The baffles on most open dynamic headphones aren't completely solid. There are often large open spaces covered with various types of fabric, mesh, and paper which certainly breath a lot better than solid plastic, wood, or carbon fiber.

Here's a shot of the old beige 598 from a google image search

8nfCYXd.jpg

Planar magnetics and electrostats usually have baffles which are either completely sealed or just have small vents.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The baffles on most open dynamic headphones aren't completely solid. There are often large open spaces covered with various types of fabric, mesh, and paper which certainly breath a lot better than solid plastic, wood, or carbon fiber.

Here's a shot of the old beige 598 from a google image search

8nfCYXd.jpg

Planar magnetics and electrostats usually have baffles which are either completely sealed or just have small vents.
Ahaaaa... So it is a open design! Breath... breathhhh ;P

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Why would that be? It is only the back of the diaphragm that is open so the bit next to the head is equally closed in both types.

Some open back headphones are very open. This is a Focal Clear, you can see that the driver sits in the middle-ish of the ear cup, with just some mesh around it:

Focal-Clear-Driver.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sony MA900 is really 'open' as are some rare ones (K1000 etc.).
I am with Frank here.
The 'acoustic paper' doesn't ventilate and keeps warm air trapped inside.
Maybe it is slightly cooler as plastic isolates more than a piece of cloth.
On the skin cloth differs as it remains cooler because moisture passes through an evaporates.
I don't think this effect is also there in case of headphones.
There is very little to no air passage in open headphones.
What helps somewhat is large area's around the ear (think HD800) and cloth pads etc.
Pleather often becomes sweaty and sticky. Leather is 'cool' when just put on the head but also warms up.

Rtings actually measures this aspect (I believe they are the only ones)

Illtrick

I've got big ears and have worn my AKG Q701's into the ground. The weight and clamping force is just right for my head too. Though the headband does start to wear on you after a few hours. I had HD650's that I got rid of purely because of comfort, just was too small in every way. My wife's beryerdynamic DT770's have a nice sized ear cup but the clamping force / closed design make it such that I can't wear them for more than a couple of hours. Right now my eyes are on a pair of Dan Clark Aeon X's (because the 2's are out of my budget) as the are often rated as the most comfortable planars out there.

donpablo

Most comfortable headphones I've ever had/have orgnized frop cheapest first:
- Koss Porta Pro
- Beyerdynamic dt990 Pro (I assume dt880 would be same comfortable because pads and clap should be the same)
- Audioquest Nighthawk/Nightowl
- Beyerdynamic Amiron
- Fostex TH900
- Sony Z1R

Love them all, especially Koss Porta Pro, Nighthawks and TH900.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
For me most conformable are earbuds, which are concerned as open design.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
For me earbuds are least comfortable, I hate having something inside my ear (I know it is not IEM but still.. almost in ear).
For me that's the only ones I can forget I am wearing & I found my perfect ones for now. Aurvanu Air.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've not used a vast range of headphones but have always found Sennheiser to deliver in many ways, including comfort.

My current HD800 are the best for comfort. One factor is they have larger then usual ear pieces which cover the whole of my big ears as opposed to crushing/deforming them. I'm sure that helps with the sound too. If I were to criticise I would point out that they feel a touch loose on the head and the pads last around four to five years before their springiness has gone and they need replacing. And what a palava it is to replace them!

Years ago I had the Jecklin Floats and they were comfortable, but don't let anybody see you using them!

Images Jecklin Float

PolkFan

Forum Donor
AKG K712 Pro are easily the most comfortable headphone that was ever on my head and my left ear is sensitive for some reason i wear glasses too

Geet

+1 For the Audio Technica R70X.
These are truly underrated headphones.

Gabs

Hi,

On ears like the Grago Sr80e are good (the best Imo) if you do not wear glasses. I wear glasses so it's the most comfortable...for 20 minutes.
The Aeon was comfy, but the Nightowl is better, and my HE400i with loosened Sundara headband is better too.
The PM3 tends to be nice with time, but not so much in the heat.

Top Bottom