• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most comfortable headphones: a) Open b) Closed

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I missed my K712 Pro so much for confort only.

10372267_800.jpg

Best headphones I ever owned in that regard. I remember simply forget it was even on my head... Very glasses-friendly as well.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to wear a radio headset for hours at work. The only thing which made it comfortable was to change my glasses to ones with flat metal or wire frames. Normal plastic frames were always uncomfortable quite quickly.

bahamot

ScofieldKid

Archsam

My Focal Clear is very comfortable, I can easily wear them for hours. Only slight downside (and this is not exclusive to the Focal) are the well padded ear cups do get warm on a hot day, especially during a heat wave like today.

My Audeze LCD-X are actually quite comfortable on my (big) head - I tend to sit quite still when I use headphones so I don't feel its weight, but they are known to be too heavy for some people.

cistercian

Forum Donor
My Sennheiser HD600 is my most comfortable headphone and the only open dynamic I own.
I have 3 closed back phones for radio use. An ancient Sennheiser 265 Linear which I savaged to reduce
clamping force is the most comfortable followed by a new HD300 Pro then the 280 Pro.
Performance-wise the HD600 is the best by far. It is not perfect, but it is still superb for me.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
While I definitely prefer the sound from my HE400i, my SHP9500 are Much more comfortable.

So when I watch TV, it's the SHP9500 connected to a bt link. But when I really want to listen, its HE400i connected to Liquid Spark/LG V20.

A place for both.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Thanks mentioning R70x, just got mine, love its lightweight and comfort. It also actually sounds great.
One caveat with these: They only fit ears up to a certain size well. 6 cm across is about the limit. I still have a pair sitting in a box waiting to be sold since shortly after the model came out. Sennheiser all the way for me.

donpablo

Even best on earth sounding headphones ruin everything if they are not comfortable on your head. Especially if you have quite big earlobes like I do.
Comfiest open HPs I personally had were Beyerdynamic Amiron, Focal Elear and Audioquest Nighthawks (these I still have).

My advice: always pay attention whether your earlobes fit inside the pads.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Audio Technica "air" AD series are very very comfortable with a bit of band bending and some brainwavs xl pads. Depending on your head shape. Possibly a try before you by style.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I don't have any problem with the comfort of my HE400i cans at all. Can listen to them for hours no problem. But the most comfortable headphones I've got are for sure the Takstar Pro82. They basically just disappear when I put them on my head. I need to get different pads for my AKG K240. Don't really use them very often though anyway...

bahamot

The Audio Technica "air" AD series are very very comfortable with a bit of band bending and some brainwavs xl pads. Depending on your head shape. Possibly a try before you by style.
Yeah, the xl pads on the r70x is really comfort (not the AD series but is has the same wing style). Love it. I don't need to bend it though.

svenz

I have a giant noggin and wear all my headphone bands on the max setting, for reference.

I've found all Sennheiser headphones to be very comfortable. I wear a pair of HD800s all day long, every day when working.

I had HE400i for a while but I did not find them super comfortable, but it was tolerable for all day wear. I ordered an audeze suspension kit online to try and fix it, but I ended up just returning them before the return window ended.

Focal Clears I found very uncomfortable. They are heavy and have minimal padding on the headband, so I couldn't wear them for more than a couple hours before developing a sore pain point on the top of my head. I'm guessing the headband could be modded for more comfort but it's still heavy. Based on this experience I've ruled out any headphones >400g (sorry Audeze/Focal).

I have a pair of AKG K712 Pro for gaming/backup and they are super comfortable, on par with Sennheiser.

Also have some Bose QC35 II for travel and working at coffee shops. These are my only closed pair. They are supremely comfortable, like wearing pillows. However they do get very sweaty so I can't wear them when it's too warm. I guess this is the con of closed headphones.

I can't stand IEMs. I have narrow ear canals and I find them all very uncomfortable. I think with IEMs you either love them or hate them. I have a pair of airpods which are comfy though (but terrible sound).

I think the key for comfort is lightweight headphones mostly made of plastic.

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Custom-molded in-ear monitors.

Here my top contenders for being comfortable: HD800S, Stax and Meze Empyrean. Then a lot of nothing followed by Stellia/Utopia and then Sony Z1R (but its sound hurts).

The worst: Probably Grado GS1000e with super scratchy cups which still make your eats touch the driver (and even more painful sound), most headphone with too much clamp, heavy stuff with bad weight distribution (Audeze, Abyss).

Most are in between the spectrum mentioned here.

brachypelma44

I've never tried closed-back headphones.

I've only bought 3 models of open back headphones (6XX, X2, Sundara) and I find the Sundara to be the most comfortable. No problems with my glasses, either. My wife tried all three, and came to the same conclusion, so I bought her a Sundara as well.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Better be open-minded with closed headphones than the contrary.

Top Bottom