• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton- why so many tweeters?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty sure that Tekton was influenced by arachnids.

dims

img_5a49eb4701fde.png
Those eight legs sure are hard to get level though…

JEarle

Forum Donor
The challenge with line speakers, or arrays:

High frequencies

Practical line array systems act as line sources only in the low- and mid- frequencies. For the high frequencies, some other method must be employed to attain directional characteristics that match those of the lows and mids. The most practical method for reinforcement systems is to use wave guides (horns) coupled to compression drivers. Each horn must have a very narrow vertical and a very wide horizontal dispersion.

Rather than using constructive and destructive interference, horns achieve directionality by reflecting sound into a specified coverage pattern. In a properly designed line array system, that pattern should closely match the low-frequency directional characteristic of the array. If the array's vertical dispersion is 60 degrees and there are 12 boxes, then each horn would need to have 5 degree vertical coverage. (Narrow vertical coverage has the benefit that it minimizes multiple arrivals, which would harm intelligibility.) If this is achieved, then the wave guide elements can be integrated into the line array and, with proper equalization and crossovers, the beam from the high frequencies and the constructive interference of the low frequencies can be made to align so that the resulting arrayed system provides consistent coverage.
[12]

View attachment 201296
L-Acoustics V-DOSC/dV-DOSC line array at a concert

View attachment 201297
Four-driver column loudspeaker polar patterns, taken at six frequencies
The Vdosc manual is great reading material for everyone!

estuardo4

Pretty much nailed everything. Erik likes the idea of low moving mass, so he creates the array to achieve the effect of a midrange driver, but with the lower mass of the tweeters.
I've seen comparisons to a Bessel Array before, but I think a Bessel Array is more indicative of a Line Array Speaker.
The interesting thing here, is that Eric effectively creates a point source tweeter and mid...
But I truly wonder how these measure.
With the multiple arrays, the Tweeters are so far apart, there has to be an acoustic effect to this.
ulfblue_orig.jpg
(77" tall!)

I always hope to wake up one day and find somebody sent a pair to Amir or Erin to play with! :D
Me too. That's the dream. The MOAB model received a lot of awards from the subjective media. But so far I haven't seen one meassured, aside the Impact Monitor from Stereophile. These are not cheap speakers, but for the number of drivers they have, the price is fair I guess.

Also, Eric is inviting anyone interested to visit his office so you can try his new IRL Technology

I know, I know, it's Audiogon and it's a strange claim, but suppossedly it works. Maybe we can collect the money for @amirm for a round trip to test and report.

Ericglo

The directivity of an array of drivers combined is quite different than the individual directivity, so in this case the directivity of the mid rings is likely to be narrower than the tweeter. The filtering applied to the drivers in the ring can have an effect too but they end up behaving a lot like a larger driver as far as directivity is concerned.

An example of 2" drivers placed in a ring

Is that measurements from the speakers?

I am not sure which tweeter he is using, but the SB29 is down 20db at 200hz.

Ericglo

Me too. That's the dream. The MOAB model received a lot of awards from the subjective media. But so far I haven't seen one meassured, aside the Impact Monitor from Stereophile. These are not cheap speakers, but for the number of drivers they have, the price is fair I guess.

Also, Eric is inviting anyone interested to visit his office so you can try his new IRL Technology

I know, I know, it's Audiogon and it's a strange claim, but suppossedly it works. Maybe we can collect the money for @amirm for a round trip to test and report.

I glanced at that. It reminds me of IIRC what AT&T did like 20 years ago. I hope he isn't saying he invented it.

estuardo4

I glanced at that. It reminds me of IIRC what AT&T did like 20 years ago. I hope he isn't saying he invented it.
He is saying that he invented it.
But that it is different to any other system. And he's patenting it.
That's why I wanted that anybody living near Tekton's warehouse can ask for a demo and later comment here.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Was always curious about the design
What's the point of 15 tweeters?
Also if that's such a good idea why don't other companies use it too?

Again, people speculating, presenting data from some other "similar" product.

Get the actual data, and You'll see if the result pleases You. No, absolutely no way to get anywhere without actal data for the actual product.

We do not have it? Ah, let's speculate! We are the pinnacle of knowledge, as the sciencereview ...

nerdoldnerdith

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Again, people speculating, presenting data from some other "similar" product.

Get the actual data, and You'll see if the result pleases You. No, absolutely no way to get anywhere without actal data for the actual product.

We do not have it? Ah, let's speculate! We are the pinnacle of knowledge, as the sciencereview ...
Dude I really don't get your comment and criticism.

GabrielPhoto

Ericglo

He is saying that he invented it.
But that it is different to any other system. And he's patenting it.
That's why I wanted that anybody living near Tekton's warehouse can ask for a demo and later comment here.

I searched for some articles about multi mic recording with a a vertical mic, but couldn't find what I remember. Some of the people that have been around for awhile may remember.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Dude I really don't get your comment and criticism.
To explicate my point, the measurement of a very similar loudspeaker was given. However, it is only roughly depicted by a coarse graph. This measurement was also not discussed in this thread.

Everything else in this thread is purely speculative. The discussion does not deal with the actual circumstances, but floods a mass of loose associations into the public.

Of course, an arrangement as shown must be viewed very critically. However, the criticism should (be able to) refer to the given, not to the suspected.

Please read the thread again from the point of view of whether it is only a halfway serious discussion. If not, then hacking around on this admittedly strange, hardly promising construction method is simply unfair, but not scientific. No science review ;-)

Last edited:

fineMen

Major Contributor
Also if that's such a good idea why don't other companies use it too?

Maybe it is not such a good idea, and yet logically patented. If you are interested in the idea, can you obtain measurement data?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Maybe it is not such a good idea, and yet logically patented. If you are interested in the idea, can you obtain measurement data?
I can't obtain anything on my own, that's why I'm in this forum

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
To explicate my point, the measurement of a very similar loudspeaker was given. However, it is only roughly depicted by a coarse graph. This measurement was also not discussed in this thread.

Everything else in this thread is purely speculative. The discussion does not deal with the actual circumstances, but floods a mass of loose associations into the public.

Of course, an arrangement as shown must be viewed very critically. However, the criticism should (be able to) refer to the given, not to the suspected.

Please read the thread again from the point of view of whether it is only a halfway serious discussion. If not, then hacking around on this admittedly strange, hardly promising construction method is simply unfair, but not scientific. No science review ;-)
Why are you writing this to me though?
1. I'm OK with speculation and not 100% data based stuff
2. I haven't written all the comments in this thread so I'm not the right address

fineMen

Major Contributor
Why are you writing this to me though?
1. I'm OK with speculation and not 100% data based stuff
2. I haven't written all the comments in this thread so I'm not the right address
I'm not advocating the company in question. But to dismiss a commercial product on a speculative basis alone is unfair. Especially when the critique comes along with technical terms that suggest a deeper knowledge. Which isn't there.

I acknowledge the entertaining quality of such a conversation, but it should be clear, that no reasonable result can be expected. That said, I shut up.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Humm, A good ole quad speaker system, and a recording using good mic technique.
Amazing hun?, It sure can be.
What's old is new again.

Top Bottom