• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 281 58.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is mostly from the nearfield measurement technique, in the real world it should be much flatter, but the peak at 100 Hz will stay, although not so big.
yeah, I know, although it's interesting to compare many different speakers that have been reviewed by Stereophile to see how sometimes the bump just completely disappears (B&W 801 D4), nearly disappears (Estelon Aura), or becomes quite large (the Moab), possibly depending on how John sums the various microphones, and in many cases for the very large speakers, having to deal with making in room measurements in different rooms, making accuracy very hard.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah, I know, although it's interesting to compare many different speakers that have been reviewed by Stereophile to see how sometimes the bump just completely disappears (B&W 801 D4), nearly disappears (Estelon Aura), or becomes quite large (the Moab), possibly depending on how John sums the various microphones, and in many cases for the very large speakers, having to deal with making in room measurements in different rooms, making accuracy very hard.

And yet despite the misleading way it makes the speaker's response looks, Eric Alexander has not threatened litigation against John Atkinson or Stereophile.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And yet despite the misleading way it makes the speaker's response looks, Eric Alexander has not threatened litigation against John Atkinson or Stereophile.
Several pages worth of glowing praise before the measurements probably has something to do with that. Twenty years ago I used to read those descriptions, trying to imagine what some of the flowery prose actually meant or what the speaker *actually* sounded like, and long ago concluded the only answer to get past all the prose was to hear for myself. I still reserve special hatred for the reviewer practice of insisting on describing different music albums with every review. Nothing could be more insultingly pointless. If I buy these speakers Diana Krall will come into my room and sing into my ears, but if you buy these other speakers Frank Zappa will rise from the dead to give a rousing rendition of Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy. Come on.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I thought I'd try to reverse engineer the M-Lore as a bit of an experiment.

The speaker dimensions indicate about a 35L internal volume (without bracing). The design quotes a 38Hz bass extension (likely F10) we get the following response:
View attachment 363820
View attachment 363825

We can see at only 19.2w we both start to exceed a port velocity where chuffing occurs, but also cone excursion starts to be exceeded (we're only dealing with a small Xmax woofer here with Xmax = 3.2mm). We basically max this design out at about 102dB at 45Hz

You should watermark those graphs- just in case someone decides to 'use' them in their marketing materials or present them as 'measurements'...

kschmit2

Hard to predict, he comes and goes, but after Erin's second review and then him taking down his last two videos and then posting this on his Facebook group:

View attachment 363819
Perhaps, he finally engaged a PR firm for crisis management?

He also is now trying to change the topic to something that "vouches" for his technical design achievements:
View attachment 363823
But no apology to Amir.
he still misrepresents Amir's review on his product page as of now, so there is absolutely no pedalling back from him, just an attempt of insincere damage control at most:

Ricwa

Forum Donor
Well, no. Ascend CMT-340 SE2 is a center speaker with no bass output whatsoever - in contrast to Tekton M-Lore. And it has equally bad frequency response.
It is difficult to find a good "full-range" (2 or 3-way loudspeaker with enough bass) with higher than 88 dB sensitivity and price around $750 a pair. As I mentioned before, Focal Chora 816 has 91 dB sensitivity, excellent frequency response, very good design and finish, but it costs $1000 a pair.
Ascend sells the CMT-340 SE2 either as a pair or as a single (center) speaker. I bought a pair for 2 channel listening. They don’t have much bass below 80 hz but they’re flat down to 90 hz and blend well with my subs.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Sigh: Continue to get messages from Eric like this:

"Amir,

I see you've actively correcting your mistakes. The correct measurement point is exactly 6.5' above the tweeter so please make this correction and publish it.

You're lying to your audience about the "angle being too small to make a difference in far field listening". Remove it! If you fail to do this I will publish a measurement and a new video proving that you are telling lies."

He also shared this with me (yes, it is a fuzzy 6k byte file that he sent it to me):
View attachment 363065

With the text of: "Next, see the attached image. The Mini Lore is a passive 6 component crossover (two resistors) 94dB sensitivity 8" 2-way loudspeaker with a "showroom" voicing [using your words here]. I'd love to see you do better with less."

You all see what I have been dealing for a month now?
6.5 FEET above the tweeter??? This level of carelessness is a real worry.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
An owner was kind enough to share the manual for this speaker with me. This is what it says:

View attachment 363576

As I have highlighted, it clearly states the tweeter is the listening axis, not the woofer as you say. That is how I measured and listened to the speaker. So even if you are being truthful with your assertion than woofer is the reference axis, the manual instructs everyone to use the tweeter.

You caused me to go and do further processing of the data to create the woofer reference for no good reason. This is why I don't jump when manufacturers claim this and that until they show me evidence that backs their position. At no point did you link to any documentation backing your position that woofer was the reference axis. The woofer rarely is.
That looks like a general guide for *any* speaker, not for any one brand, let alone for this specific model.

Cawafuoshi

Odd, I had not considered this.
In retrospect it certainly seems plausible that the design work was contracted out.
Obviously we don't know for sure though.

I am no fan now of Tekton but it there is no reason to to conclude this.

I've DIYed, there is no way they would be as good as they are if someone was not doing some basic, even fairly detailed measurements.
Especially with some of them measuring quite good given the design complexity and uniqueness. (Impact Monitor comes to mind & the Troubadour also really is decent given the design)
Even this M-Lore is fairly decent relative to worst case, given the naturally uneven large Eminence pro woofer and 1" non waveguided tweeter.

I could think some are fairing better than others due to a change in whoever did the crossovers. Employees and contractors can change over time or tackle different units.

Surly Tekton measured, I'd wager 100% that there is no chance they did not.

He should not have offered measurements of his own if wasn't really going to. The only thing I feel we ought to conclude is his word is not good. That said try asking JBL(or most manufacturers) for measurements of their new stuff ---> good luck (but they won't say yes and then ghost).
Eric Alexander mentioned his simulation software. What if everything is done in software forgoing real measurements of the final product?

beagleman

Major Contributor
Eric Alexander mentioned his simulation software. What if everything is done in software forgoing real measurements of the final product?
I mentioned this exact thing many pages back and have found nothing to dispute it so far.

I am still waiting on his "Videos" and "Measurements"...........................:facepalm:

Roland68

Major Contributor
That would rarely work.
It's always just an approximation, but the more difficult and complex the speaker, the further away the simulation can be.

For a simple DIY 2-way speaker with no frills, ok. With experience you can tune something like this by ear.
But loudspeakers that are produced in quantities and perhaps sold for years? Simply being responsible for the shipping costs for floorstanding speakers in the event of dozens of complaints could kill you.

AaronJ

I expect this is the case based on the fact that he sent measurements for the drivers to Amir and challenged him to do better with the design. I am pretty sure Eric confuses "measurements" for "calculations" just like he uses the archaic definition of "litigation" instead of "dispute resolution". Narcissists like to use words that they think make them look smarter based on hearing other intelligent individuals use them, but then they often end up using them incorrectly. Intelligent people like Amir and Erin and others implementing the proper scientific method take measurements, but nerds do calculations. Important people use lawyers to litigate and resolve disputes (seems he may think they will also do this for free since it only takes 20 minutes?). I have little doubt he has completed plenty of calculations to design crossover networks.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
He probably means 6.5 inches above the tweeter.
Which is still very unusual - could we say "off the charts"?
Yes, of course. That is exactly my point. In countries which still use the quaint British Imperial measurement system, it is common to use " to mean inches and ' to mean feet. If someone complains about measurements not being done in the precise, correct way, then they (insert favoured swear-word) ought to be able to make it clear whether inches or feet are meant. In this case, it's obvious, but how hard is it to get something so simple right?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Well again to be clear, I'm not defending Tekton, I just think for anyone who has never designed a speaker the following viewpoint may help.

Reality is it is just so easy to do real measurements and quality nearly free solutions exist that are reasonably accurate, even extremely accurate in the right hands.
I highly doubt they skip them and just can't see that happening.
I think it is more likely either a contactor handles it or Mr Alexander simply doesn't want to reveal them. I could think of several reasons why he did not ultimately reveal them, including that they correlate fairly well with the Klippel.

I have to say every good design uses various simulations. Quite frankly with good simulation software using real, quality measurements of the raw drivers you get very accurate results. Even simulating different cabinets and everything you can think of. Lots of very useful stuff happens in simulation and loads of time is saved. Then you confirm what you have of course. I'd bet most manufactures spend a lot of their time in simulations.

Top Bottom