• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 279 58.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have to think a lot of this is for show, rather than some serious sonic benefit.
"All hat and no cowboy" as our comrades from Texas might put it.

Sort of like this testament to misleading advertising from the folks at Kenwood* ;)

1698072162178.png

* In fairness, I think that, in terms of loudspeakers, Kenwood (Trio) - and most Japanes hifi companies - treated US "audiophiles" in the 1970s in the same "you won't get the joke -- but we do" way that Schiit, much more recently, have treated the vinylistas.

ES002214222.jpg

;):cool:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"All hat and no cowboy" as our comrades from Texas might put it.

Sort of like this testament to misleading advertising from the folks at Kenwood* ;)

View attachment 320731

* In fairness, I think that, in terms of loudspeakers, Kenwood (Trio) - and most Japanes hifi companies - treated US "audiophiles" in the 1970s in the same "you won't get the joke -- but we do" way that Schiit, much more recently, have treated the vinylistas.

ES002214222.jpg

;):cool:
Kabuki speakers FTW!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't have too many tweeters, really.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Even -- sniff, sob -- the folks at Nippon Gakki

cb0d89e8cd994fd7.jpg

Please, please -- Yamaha... tell me these were the Andy Kaufman Signature models, so that I can laugh along with you, rather than cry over the effect of too much cocaine in the early 80s, even in staid Hamamatsu, Japan. ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Sort of on-topic: I should look and see whether Stereophile/ @John Atkinson ever tested any of the more egregious "Kabuki" models of the 1980s or '90s. :eek:
That would be a hoot.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even -- sniff, sob -- the folks at Nippon Gakki

cb0d89e8cd994fd7.jpg

Please, please -- Yamaha... tell me these were the Andy Kaufman Signature models, so that I can laugh along with you, rather than cry over the effect of too much cocaine in the early 80s, even in staid Hamamatsu, Japan. ;)
The 4 inch deep cabinet makes a statement too, lol.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

hmt

I wish amir could get hold on some DTZ cinema speakers. Imo thea execute the multi tweeter beamforming much better als the tweeters are mounted really close to each other and they cross them over at 2.2KHz. Only one tweeter in the middle is going all the way up, the other ones are lowpassed at 2.2KHz. So it is a 2.5 Way design. It is also a design from Dan Roemer and he knows what he is doing.

IMG_4869.jpeg

beagleman

Major Contributor
Not truly Horrible, but I guess I do not even see the appeal of this speaker.

I mean its not very efficient, its not pretty to look at, it measures just sorta okay,.......it just seems "Okay" at best overall.

Maybe decades ago this would appeal, but it looks like a pro driver PA speaker reject sorta.

searay_89

I bought a set of M-Lore 5-6 years ago. Not sure why? I tried to like them ...... 3 or 4 times I rotated them into various systems.
I don't need plots or graphics to tell me they sound like sh!t.
Sold them on the bay for less than $200 - good riddance.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can almost think the DIY look is part of the cult appeal.

There’s no doubt DIY speakers appeal to a particular demographic. I did DIY speakers and Subs when I was in my early 20s.

alpha_logic

I bought a pair of Tekton Lores a few years back. Had to wait 7(!?) months to get them. Worst speakers I ever had, no matter how much I tried to position them properly, they ended up canceling each other in the base region, with the treble being extremely painful - maybe they were wired wrong, I didn't bother to investigate any further. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough, and ended up giving them away. Tekton is by far the most overhyped brand I ever ran across, and I would urge anyone to stay away.

AudioAaron

I have these speakers and they're dogshit - I said so 2 years ago on here.

The DIY speakers I have are better. The commercial brand speakers I have are better.

$750 for an ugly, bad sounding speaker is laughable when you can get dozens of speakers that look and sound better for less.

Amir is doing great work for our benefit; thanks.

DimensionX

I actually considered buying these, but was scared away by the lack of real reviews and the awful cosmetics. It's super interesting to see how many youtube audiophiles pump these guys up. I would be interested to know what the financial aspects are in those deals because presumably these reviewers have access to a lot of high or at least mid range gear so they should be able to compare them to better speakers. Whole lot of bullshitting going on from the reviewer crowd

Top Bottom