• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 279 58.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

GabrielPhoto

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The latest Stereophile reviews a $30k Tekton with Beryllium drivers for mids and highs. It seems to be pretty good.

Years ago they reviewed the Impact monitor, and it measured well for the price: https://www.stereophile.com/content/tekton-design-impact-monitor-loudspeaker
Directionally, that looks a lot more like the "drool and slobber" speaker he promised, although the vertical dispersion is a hot mess.

Mr. Alexander already stated that speakers with an anechoic flat frequency response is not audiophile grade:
The facts are most audiophiles don't go for the frequency response and corrections the reviewer has suggested. The only linear loudspeaker models we offer are intended for professional studio engineering and they are tools for a toolbox. Changing crossover parts values to flatten the frequency response is a super simple task; my job is to get the speaker sounding right for an audiophile. The problem is most audiophiles don't go for 'scientific sound'; to my ears, it's analytical, sterile, forward in the midrange when turned up, and frankly not much excitement to be discerned.

We, who subscribe to Dr. Toole's decades of scientific research that yield tons of data proving what sounds good and what doesn't, versus some, like Mr. Alexander, who goes by what appears to be personal opinion and opaque pseudoscience, simply do not agree on the what good sound is. As such, there really aren't anything to discuss at this point.

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
Interesting developments here when the moderator insisted the narrative be focused upon the speaker being reviewed.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting developments here when the moderator insisted the narrative be focused upon the speaker being reviewed.
Indeed. How did THAT manage to happen, I wonder?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Moderators are enforcing established rules for review threads. There is a reminder link for that in my signature. Here it is (emphasis mine): https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rules-for-review-threads.18744/

"Comments in review threads need to be specific to the product being discussed. If your comment is generic in nature, “who needs a DAC since they all sound the same,” it does not belong in the review thread."

While we allow some flexibility on this, when thread drift becomes too much and/or we get complaints, we enforce it.

brydon10

I've had a pair of these Mini Lore's for a couple of years. They really do seem efficient to me, very loud easily (I don't tend to listen very loud often though). I pretty much figured the response would look something like Amir's measurement, at least something is not majorly broken here. I also have a pair of Elac B6.2 which definitely measure more neutral, I like both pairs of speakers though.

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
Brydon10, Thanks for posting this. There is nothing "scientific" about this flawed review - it's pathetic. It's not even measured correctly. The FACTS are this is a wonderful sounding compact sized loudspeaker intended for audiophiles.

The FACTS are Amir botched everything because he took flawed measurements of the Mini Lore and then based upon his botched measurements he developed a flawed narrative and flawed opinions of the loudspeaker [Mini Lore]. As a speaker designer it doesn't get worse than this. It feels like a total hit job. Furthermore, Amir takes zero accountability for his oversights, doesn't believe he can make a mistake, and has proven to be incorrigible in the extreme; he is woefully misguided and will see exactly where he went wrong through a YouTube video we're planning to publish that proves he made big mistakes with measuring the speaker.

Eric Alexander - audio designer
President Tekton Design, LLC

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Brydon10, Thanks for posting this. There is nothing "scientific" about this flawed review - it's pathetic. It's not even measured correctly. The FACTS are this is a wonderful sounding compact sized loudspeaker intended for audiophiles.

The FACTS are Amir botched everything because he took flawed measurements of the Mini Lore and then based upon his botched measurements he developed a flawed narrative and flawed opinions of the loudspeaker [Mini Lore]. As a speaker designer it doesn't get worse than this. It feels like a total hit job. Furthermore, Amir takes zero accountability for his oversights, doesn't believe he can make a mistake, and has proven to be incorrigible in the extreme; he is woefully misguided and will see exactly where he went wrong through a YouTube video we're planning to publish that proves he made big mistakes with measuring the speaker.

Eric Alexander - audio designer
President Tekton Design, LLC
Maybe post your proof before making these sorts of libelous claims here. It makes you sound petulant and childish, as does your strange use of the word “FACTS”. I don’t think you’ve posted *any* facts here yet.

I’m very interested to see how you think Amir’s quite transparent measurement protocol is “botched”. Try to keep your remarks substantive instead of personal.

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
JustJones, I guess that's one way of seeing it.

ahofer, you should be. Stay tuned... The FACTS are Amir measured the incorrectly - can't be any clearer than that.

brydon10

Maybe post your proof before making these sorts of libelous claims here. It makes you sound petulant and childish, as does your strange use of the word “FACTS”. I don’t think you’ve posted *any* facts here yet.

I’m very interested to see how you think Amir’s quite transparent measurement protocol is “botched”. Try to keep your remarks substantive instead of personal.
The on axis response of the Tekton Impact Monitor (as measured by Stereophile) is quite impressive, so Eric is definitely capable, and from such a unique design. Now in trying to keep my post on topic, I'm glad to know that your ear should be more in line with the woofer than the tweeter with this particular speaker. I've had the speakers on solid 6" wooden blocks since I got them because my chair is a bit high and this puts me in pretty much the ideal listening spot. I thought maybe the sweet spot is just between the tweeter and woofer, but since they are so close together this isn't too difficult.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JustJones, I guess that's one way of seeing it.

ahofer, you should be. Stay tuned... The FACTS are Amir measured the incorrectly - can't be any clearer than that.
Mr. Alexander, Amir follows the CEA 2034 standards in measuring speakers. His test and measurement methods and equipment are openly stated.

If Amir "botched" up the measurements, then state what exactly did he botch up. And most importantly explain the scientific reasons of what the measurement methods ought to be when measuring your speakers and why the CEA 2034 standards doesn't apply to your speakers. Everyone here is eagerly waiting for your reasoned and scientific engagement, instead of a temper tantrum because your speakers measures poorly based on industry standards with SOTA measurement equipment.

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
The Facts are he measured the speaker incorrectly. It will probably come to litigation so everyone needs to hang tight...

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly don't get the overblown reaction. This is an admittedly inexpensive speaker I would say best suited for background party listening. I don't know any "audiophile" who's going to be buying $750 speakers for serious listening. Just move on.

brydon10

I honestly don't get the overblown reaction. This is an admittedly inexpensive speaker I would say best suited for background party listening. I don't know any "audiophile" who's going to be buying $750 speakers for serious listening. Just move on.
As you know, listening to speakers in stereo in a regular room is a lot more forgiving than one speaker. So pair this with an efficient design with the ability to play loud with pretty low distortion and a frequency response that honestly isn't too shabby - now you've got a speaker that will sound good and will please most people in a normal situation in the real world. At least that's my take on it.

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
I've been blessed to garner 18 'Product of the Year' type awards for loudspeaker designs and models. I've been doing this for 44 years; I know a thing or two about loudspeakers and measuring them; everything will be resolved in due time and nothing that can be said or done today or this week is going to change anything.

Agreed. "Just move on" to something that is personally exciting to you in audio. JustJones correctly discerned how this speaker should be used. I've lost track of the number of clients that purchase our DI's, Moabs, Encores, and purchase Mini Lore's for bedrooms, 2nd & 3rd systems, etc...

Top Bottom