• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technology News You Can Use

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Yes, 2018 is upon us and Christmas shopping is under way ...
Forget 2017, live now for 2018...what will you buy if you are still alive by then; that is you still have your health, your wealth, the passion, the love and the happiness.
...A brand new electric car, a Tesla Model 3, a ticket to Mars, a new watch that keeps track of climate change, an obedient robot that tell you fables @ night before falling to sleep, a pot of good luck charms ... forget all of that, think of your children and grandchildren instead and make them happy, that way you'll be happy too.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...Galaxy-S8-infinity-display-release-date-price

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Yes, 2018 is upon us and Christmas shopping is under way ...

I finished my Christmas Shopping in 1974, if I remember correctly.

And haven't looked back.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Brings back horrors of the times where I too had to use a typewriter for reports. What a nightmare. If it were not for my then fiance helping with white-outs and such, I would have gone mad!

I never got over the demise of the typing-pool. I am still basically a one-fingered typist.

Wombat

Master Contributor

And haven't looked back.

Those sock and tie sets that reside unopened in recipients closets may be worth reclaiming to add individuality to the business burkqa.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I never got over the demise of the typing-pool. I am still basically a one-fingered typist.

I'd casually tell them I could type four hundred words per minute.

They'd want to see that, of course.

F-O-U-R-space-H-U-N ...

I don't think any of them let me finish.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

And haven't looked back.
I'd be highly upset if I didn't get myself something very nice every year.

Wombat

Master Contributor
In Australia, Crayfish(not crawfish) was a Christmas treat because the Japanese demand pushed the price too high for general local consumption. The same applies to most seafish. More recently the Chinese have gazumped the Japanese and take close to 100% of our catch of the more desirable seafood with the exception of large Tuna which the Japanese are crazy about. Local price of Cray is more than $50 per pound. More at the festive season.
In turn, we import the cheaper frozen stuff fished from suspect or unknown sources. I won't touch it.
Oh, the joys of the market economy. You can't eat DACs.

http://www.sydneyfishmarket.com.au/seafood-school/recipes-cooking-info/faqs/faq-details?cat=4&id=66

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor

And haven't looked back.

Ray, the day the clock starts running normal again that'll be the day.
Before it'll happen A.I. will be running the show, here on earth and beyond.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Wombat

Master Contributor
So you are talking about freshwater crawfish here or salt water spiny lobster? I am confused after reading that link. :)

If it is crawfish, they actually catch them in our fresh water lake and are available for a short period of time.

We don't use the term crawfish but what you describe above would be included in the term, crayfish. The number of species is staggering.

I have mostly seen the spiny saltwater variety for sale in my part of the country.

There are also small fresh water ones called yabbies(marrons). Farmers use them in their dams to keep the water clean - and for eating.

All of these are farmed, as well, of course.

http://www.travel-australia-bible.com/crayfish.html

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Stunning lapse of security and quality assurance by Apple. Anyone can walk up to the affected machines, type "root" and login as administrator with no password!!! I have seen my share of security lapses over the years but this is really, really, really bad. Even worse is that they are forcing people to manually set this password instead of releasing a little app that does it for consumers.

https://www.wired.com/story/macos-high-sierra-hack-root/

THERE ARE HACKABLE security flaws in software. And then there are those that don't even require hacking at all—just a knock on the door, and asking to be let in. Apple's macOS High Sierra has the second kind.

On Tuesday, security researchers disclosed a bug that allows anyone a blindingly easy method of breaking that operating system's security protections. When anyone hits a prompt in High Sierra asking for a username and password before logging into a machine with multiple users, installing an application or changing settings, they can simply type "root" as a username, leave the password field blank, click "unlock" twice, and immediately gain full access.

It is like a bank leaving a key to their front door and their vaults on the steps of the front door for anyone to use and clean up all the cash! Clearly all the good people are long gone out of the Mac group and are working in iPhone division....

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It's not only with Apple; kids can hack anything they want today.
Security is a word just about to be extinct, eradicated from the dictionary.

Did you see that kid who plaid guilty for hacking Yahoo?
There are so many breaches today, so much hacking that I gave up on my thread. Because it would required that I spend 24/7 just to keep up with less than 0.00000000001% of all the hacking every single day in the cyber space.

Banks with money, financial institutions, customers with credit cards, insurance adjusters, pharmaceutical companies, Twitter, Facebook Instagram, LinkedIn, ... they are full of hackers, clowns, fraudsters and trend setters towards chaos. Your passport, passwords, social numbers, bank numbers, personal data, private life, family, job, ... everything you share is everything you risk to give access to the hackers.
___

In other news, Bitcoin is going berserk, Tesla needs more cash, China is going electric, North Korea is going nuclear, America is going ... I'm not sure where anymore, and Canada is going back to its sources...canoes, Indians, moose, beavers, bears, loonies and search of a new identity.

Even pope Francis is careful in his choice of words, but his smile is comforting to many, very. This is not happy news, it's real news what revenge can do in the world. I don't know the level of sensibilité others have in this situation, but for me it rips my heart apart with tears deep as crevasses separating the continent from its central core.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple now has an update to fix the security issue. Check under the app store update area.

I wonder if Apple didn't want to be left off the list of incredible security problems encountered in things digital for 2017? Yahoo, the credit reporting agency Equifax and several other candidates. Like the US gov't (multiple qualifying breaches). Maybe Tim Cook is a W.C. Fields admirer. There is no bad publicity as long as they spell your name right.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Qualcomm SoC (System on a Chip) rules the world of non-Apple mobile phones. They just announced the next generation part, the 845 for release in new products in 2018. It increases performance by 30% while saving as much power. Bodes well for future of smartphones. My only wish is that they were a nicer company than they are. Check out this graph in their marketing release:

5126.a75-790-small-new_performance_levels_for_advanced_use_cases-12_575px.png

Look at the second set of graphs. There is only 16% improvement (1.16) yet they show a bar that is far longer than the 1.0 reference of current generation product!

Anyway, here are the details: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12114/qualcomm-announces-snapdragon-845-soc

Samsung is the "foundary" (company producing the actual silicon -- Qualcomm is the designer).

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Top Bottom