• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teardown of NAD M27 Surround Amplifier

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As promised in the review of NAD M27 7-channel amplifier, here is a teardown of the unit. Here is an overall shot of it (click on the image to make it larger):

NAD M27 Surround 7 channel Amplifier Inside PCB teardown.jpg

At the bottom center is the power supply. To the left is the input filter and soft power-on circuit. To the right bottom is the regulated power linear power supply. On top, you see an array of 7 amplifiers, neatly arranged vertically with their input and outputs in the back.

Note that the rightmost amplifier is not vented as well as the rest of the channels (not visible above with the lid open). So you may want to dedicate that channel to surround or back channels that get less use.

Drilling down, the amplifier modules are Hypex N400 OEM ones:

NAD M27 Surround 7 channel Amplifier Inside Hypex NC400  teardown.jpg

A bit concerning to see version 0.1 of anything! But I guess it worked before they had to spin it all the way to version 1.0. To the left is the input buffer and output routing to speaker terminals.

There is a backplane where everything plugs into. I thought the insulated copper busbar was a nice touch:

NAD M27 Surround 7 channel Amplifier Inside PCB Backplane teardown.jpg

At first I thought the power supply was designed by NAD but it is not the case. It is a hypex module but I can't find it online. So perhaps Hypex designed it just for NAD?

NAD M27 Surround 7 channel Amplifier Inside PCB Hypex Power Supply teardown.jpg

Typical of Hypex builds, the capacitors are not tier one. They are made by Korean company SAMWHA:
NAD M27 Surround 7 channel Amplifier Inside PCB Capacitor quality teardown.jpg

Fortunately they are all rated at 105 degree C which is as it should be (rather the lower grade 80 degree C).

Overall, it seems that all the heavy lifting is performed by Hypex designed and manufactured modules. This explains the excellent performance. Only ancillary circuits are designed by NAD and of course, the mechanicals. In this regard, it is well designed integration work.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of money for a legitimately good piece of gear that will probably be passed up soon by purefi and others.

audimus

So, is there any significant NAD IP here? Is NAD becoming a brand marketing and system integration company?

What prevents any other halfway competent company from licensing modules from Hypex and throwing out similar performance at a much cheaper price in volume?

Crappy pre/pro hardware implementations dressed up with Dirac and amps whose performance is pretty much derived from outsourced modules. I hope the beancounters out there haven’t fired any of their engineering team.

filo97s

A question that I often ask myself is why all OEM like Hypex, Anaview, Icepower and others use "bad" caps even in their top tier amps... In my AMS1000 for example, they're using some trashy cap branded "Jianghai"...
Sometimes I'd like to try to change them with some Nichicon...

Still very good performance, NAD is using Hypex modules in their master series.

maty

Major Contributor
NAD M27 Surround 7 channel Amplifier Inside PCB teardown RF-EMI filter.jpg

The boutique NC500 and NC1200 amps usually does not have the aditional RF/EMI filter, except for an exception and not in all the implementations offered by default (can be customized). What a desire to waste money has NAD! :):):)

Hypex SMP 1200A700 (usually with NC500 and NC1200)

https://www.hypex.nl/product/smps1200a700/137

Hypex-smps-1200a700.jpg

One of these days I will try/test a new filter that exceeds the Schaffner measurements that I highly recommend to the IEC inlet. Of course, it is big, like NAD filter. The same grey caps too (I commented by mail that they were ugly, that people want to see colors).

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

maty

Major Contributor
Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
One of these days I will try/test a new filter that exceeds the Schaffner measurements that I highly recommend to the IEC inlet. Of course, it is big, like NAD filter. The same grey caps too (I commented by mail that they were ugly, that people want to see colors).
Rouge Audio is the exception. Some diyers too. And Nuprime.
BTW, I was banned from the second thread. But of course, as a few know everything and they assume that I am the ignorant.

The problem is not your potential ignorance, the problem is that you don't read and try to understand other's objections to your recommendations.
Here you recommend the classical IEC filter implemented by Schaffner and others, while IEC filters are a recipe for ground loops!

Why would NAD implement a custom and expensive filter if whatever 1$ of the shelf filter was good?
Maybe because they solved a specific issue, certainly not related to audio, but linked to the compliance to immunity/emissions standards? I don't know, just guessing...

maty

Major Contributor
We do not see how the connections between the elements are made, but at first glance it is a simple RF / EMI filter, with little attenuation. That is why I have always written that we should TRY, because excessive filtering (two-stage) could be counterproductive with class-D amps. We only had the trial and error.

NAD M27 Surround 7 channel Amplifier Inside PCB teardown RF-EMI filter-cut.png

RF-EMI-filter.png

Reactions: trl

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Rouge Audio is the exception. Some diyers too. And Nuprime.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ality-of-the-implementations.7918/post-194444

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ool-running-amplifier-to-try.8110/post-201591

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ool-running-amplifier-to-try.8110/post-201608

BTW, I was banned from the second thread. But of course, as a few know everything and they assume that I am the ignorant.
Carrying on old arguments and protesting moderator actions like this is a quick way to get banned full stop.

This threads about a teardown of a NAD product, stick to that please.

Top Bottom