• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tascam TH-07 Review (Headphone)

Sonny1

At least his mixes won't be too bass heavy ;)

Somehow they still are. He plays guitar and has a bass but usually uses electronic bass or keyboard bass. It’s always on the heavy side because that’s his preference. I stopped giving an opinion because he has his own ideas and preferences. Thankfully lost songs don’t have any added bass because he’s mainly an acoustic player these days.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Somehow they still are. He plays guitar and has a bass but usually uses electronic bass or keyboard bass. It’s always on the heavy side because that’s his preference. I stopped giving an opinion because he has his own ideas and preferences. Thankfully lost songs don’t have any added bass because he’s mainly an acoustic player these days.

Get him the Meze 99 Noir for his next birthday/christmas. :)

dorirod

Hmm, son uses these for mixing and recording. He’s not super particular and needed a cheaper set of corded closed back phones. I think I got them in musicians friend for $25 or so. No more than $30. Is there a good closed back headphone to use for mixing in this price range?

Which price range, $20-30, maybe Sony MDR-ZX110. I think next step up for under $100 might be like AKG K361, Sony MDR-7506, Audio Technica ATH-M40X.

Last edited:

PuX

Wow, it looks identical. Frequency response is also very similar but there is huge difference in distortion. Wonder if they are getting reject drivers for these or something.
nah, it's just a knockoff.

There are at least 3 companies that make AKG-inspired headphones, drivers and sound aren't similar, but in therms of how they look, it's very close.

This one is probably the same, but copying Audio-Technica design. Behringer BH470, Mackie MC-100 and Presonus HD9 also look similar.

DanTheMan

This one is definitely disappointing. Tascam used to make some pretty cool gear back in the day. Loved my 4 track recorder--not because it was HiFi however lol. I still miss it though. It was simply the most straight forward and enjoyable way of recording. Not sure why that is: more modern methods can be very similar but the experience is different and I don't enjoy it as much.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, son uses these for mixing and recording. He’s not super particular and needed a cheaper set of corded closed back phones. I think I got them in musicians friend for $25 or so. No more than $30. Is there a good closed back headphone to use for mixing in this price range? Open phones are not an option because he records guitar and plays it through headphones when he records vocals. Impulse buy in this case but I am not surprised by results because I didn’t think they sounded very good.

Should add, he’s a teenager and is a little hard on equipment. I didn’t want to spend a lot because he falls asleep with them on and has broken a few pairs from other companies. Guess I need to spend more when these break.
AKG K371 would be the most accurate without EQ, also very good reviews here on ASR and good frequency response tracking the Harman Curve:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ftqm1c13xjcqgv/AKG K371.pdf?dl=0
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../akg-k371-review-closed-back-headphone.19657/
More expensive than the ones you mention, but very good value at US $150 or wherever you can find them at. ($140 on Amazon at the moment). He'd have to look after them! As a bonus he should end up making more accurate mixes!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hmm, son uses these for mixing and recording. He’s not super particular and needed a cheaper set of corded closed back phones. I think I got them in musicians friend for $25 or so. No more than $30. Is there a good closed back headphone to use for mixing in this price range? Open phones are not an option because he records guitar and plays it through headphones when he records vocals. Impulse buy in this case but I am not surprised by results because I didn’t think they sounded very good.

Should add, he’s a teenager and is a little hard on equipment. I didn’t want to spend a lot because he falls asleep with them on and has broken a few pairs from other companies. Guess I need to spend more when these break.
Superlux's offerings should also be worth looking into

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir.

I guess I lucked out when I knew nothing and got Audio Technicas.

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Tascam TH-07 closed back headphone. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $75 from Amazon including Prime shipping.

The TH-07 looks very fancy but feels very plasticky and cheap once you hear it:

View attachment 128205

Comfort was good though. The headphone weighs 300 grams and has a round cup with inside dimensions of 59 mm. The cup depth is 18mm.

The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. I searched for any and all measurements I could find online. Alas while a number of them are close to mine, none are using the exact fixture down to coupler and pinna. As you will see, I have confirmed the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests.

Getting a good fit was was challenging with a lot of variability. I did my best but it may not be fully representative of what you or someone else may get.

Tascam TH-07 Measurements
There is nothing more important than frequency response of a headphone as each is seemingly different and that difference leaves a very distinct character:

View attachment 128206

As you all know, I like to see good amount of bass to comply with our preference curve but here, we are overshooting by good bit up to 300 Hz. We then have decent matching and then some overshoot in treble region.

Shockingly, the company publishes frequency response measurements although there is no indication of what fixture they were using. Correlation is good with my measurements if I filter mine and change its aspect ratio to be closer to theirs:
View attachment 128207

Relative frequency response is such:
View attachment 128208

I was very disappointed to see high levels of distortion in upper mid-range/lower treble region:

View attachment 128209

The bass we will deal with since we have to EQ that down but the upper region may be tough. Here it is in absolute terms:

View attachment 128210

Group delay shows some issues in the bass region as indicated by the dip in frequency response as well:
View attachment 128211

Impedance is flat and low at 37 ohm:
View attachment 128212

Sensitivity is better than average:
View attachment 128213

So shouldn't be a hard headphone to drive.

Tascam TH-07 Listening Tests and Equalization
Without EQ, this is just not my cup of tea. It sounds uninteresting and bass focused. Equalization made a large difference:

View attachment 128214

I had a serious high frequency resonances (female "s") in one track that required good bit of attenuation in band 3 to tame it. Without it, the track was unlistenable.

While often equalization makes a dog of a headphone sound extremely good, such was not the case. Improvement was very significant but did not elevate the sound enough for me to want to keep using the headphone.

Conclusions
The Tascam TH-07 objectively and subjectively misses the mark. Granted, at $75 they are not exactly putting in a lot of engineering into this thing but still, I hold every audio product to a minimum standard and TH-07 does not get there. If you own it, please use equalization as otherwise you are getting very lousy fidelity.

I cannot recommend the Tascam TH-07 headphone.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues

Decent L/R match.

I have generated two EQ, the APO config files are attached.
The first one is trying to match the default Harman curve (flat@HF /Flat @LF).
The second one is trying to match the Harman curve with a closer starting point within the 'taste range' (flat@HF / +6dB@LF).

Default Harman curve
Score no EQ: 59.3
Score Armirm: 74.6
Score with EQ: 95.4

Code:
Tascam TH-07 APO EQ Score Flat@HF FlatdB@LF 96000Hz
May072021-101934

Preamp: -1 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 43.5 Hz Gain -4.91 dB Q 0.94
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 171 Hz Gain -7.66 dB Q 0.78
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 441 Hz Gain 2.13 dB Q 2.27
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1807 Hz Gain 1.25 dB Q 0.77
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3743 Hz Gain -1.97 dB Q 5
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5447 Hz Gain -6.9 dB Q 2.93
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 14507 Hz Gain -2.53 dB Q 0.9

Tascam TH-07 APO EQ Score Flat@HF FlatdB@LF Dashboard.png

Default Harman curve +6dB@LF
Score no EQ: 73.4
Score Armirm: 89.4
Score with EQ: 95.3

Code:
Tascam TH-07 APO EQ Score Flat@HF +6dB@LF 96000Hz
May072021-101209

Preamp: -1.1 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 185 Hz Gain -7.75 dB Q 1.16
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 465 Hz Gain 1.43 dB Q 3.13
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2128 Hz Gain 1.38 dB Q 0.92
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3743 Hz Gain -1.97 dB Q 5
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 5414 Hz Gain -6.4 dB Q 4.31
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 12047 Hz Gain -2.38 dB Q 0.54

Tascam TH-07 APO EQ Score Flat@HF +6dB@LF Dashboard.png

Attachments

• Tascam TH-07 APO EQ Score Flat@HF FlatdB@LF 96000Hz.txt
    413 bytes · Views: 79
  • Tascam TH-07 APO EQ Score Flat@HF +6dB@LF 96000Hz.txt
    366 bytes · Views: 86

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues

Decent L/R match.

The second one is trying to match the Harman curve with a closer starting point within the 'taste range' (flat@HF / +6dB@LF).

Default Harman curve
Score no EQ: 59.3
Score Armirm: 74.6
Score with EQ: 95.4

Code:
Tascam TH-07 APO EQ Score Flat@HF FlatdB@LF 96000Hz
May072021-101934

Preamp: -1 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 43.5 Hz Gain -4.91 dB Q 0.94
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 171 Hz Gain -7.66 dB Q 0.78
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 441 Hz Gain 2.13 dB Q 2.27
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1807 Hz Gain 1.25 dB Q 0.77
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3743 Hz Gain -1.97 dB Q 5
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5447 Hz Gain -6.9 dB Q 2.93
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 14507 Hz Gain -2.53 dB Q 0.9

View attachment 128389

Default Harman curve +6dB@LF
Score no EQ: 73.4
Score Armirm: 89.4
Score with EQ: 95.3

Code:
Tascam TH-07 APO EQ Score Flat@HF +6dB@LF 96000Hz
May072021-101209

Preamp: -1.1 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 185 Hz Gain -7.75 dB Q 1.16
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 465 Hz Gain 1.43 dB Q 3.13
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2128 Hz Gain 1.38 dB Q 0.92
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3743 Hz Gain -1.97 dB Q 5
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 5414 Hz Gain -6.4 dB Q 4.31
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 12047 Hz Gain -2.38 dB Q 0.54

View attachment 128391
Ah, ok, your second set of EQ, the bottom graphs are adding +6dB to the Low Frequency above & beyond the standard Harman Curve, I wondered why the Target looked off with the bass being the same height as the 3kHz peak, took a while to work out! Just pointing this out for folks as I didn't find it immediately clear. How come you created an EQ with a +6dB bass boost above & beyond the normal Harman Curve bass boost? Is it because this is a bass heavy headphone in it's stock form, therefore you thought buyers of this particular headphone are more likely to be bass heads and therefore they might appreciate a more bass boosted target greater than the usual Harman? I think that's not a bad idea.

Maiky76

Ah, ok, your second set of EQ, the bottom graphs are adding +6dB to the Low Frequency above & beyond the standard Harman Curve, I wondered why the Target looked off with the bass being the same height as the 3kHz peak, took a while to work out! Just pointing this out for folks as I didn't find it immediately clear. How come you created an EQ with a +6dB bass boost above & beyond the normal Harman Curve bass boost? Is it because this is a bass heavy headphone in it's stock form, therefore you thought buyers of this particular headphone are more likely to be bass heads and therefore they might appreciate a more bass boosted target greater than the usual Harman? I think that's not a bad idea.

I thought it was clearly stated:

I don't have the paper on this computer but I think this is the correct one.
" Segmentation of Listeners Based on Their Preferred Headphone Sound Quality Profiles

-64% of the population prefers the Harman Target Curve.
-15% of the population prefers the Harman Target Curve with 3 to 6dB more LF.
-22% of the population prefers the Harman Target Curve with 2 to 4dB less LF.

From what I have seen Amirm does belong to the 15% as most of his EQs do follow this trend (he agrees...)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought it was clearly stated:

I don't have the paper on this computer but I think this is the correct one.
" Segmentation of Listeners Based on Their Preferred Headphone Sound Quality Profiles

From what I have seen Amirm does belong to the 15% as most of his EQs do follow this trend (he agrees...)
Yeah, I'm not knocking you, I wanted to find out why you'd started including the +6dB bass EQ, thanks. Yes, you did state it clearly, but it was quite easy to gloss over & miss so I was emphasising it.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Just as a sidenote: The sum is 101% ;)
BTW some (like me) are a bit challenged at high frequencies and likely to prefer the old B&K.

H

Hifihedgehog

I swear this review was for the ATH-M50X... until I saw the review title. I guess these are AT's factory seconds that don't meet spec or something?

welsh

This one is definitely disappointing. Tascam used to make some pretty cool gear back in the day. Loved my 4 track recorder--not because it was HiFi however lol. I still miss it though. It was simply the most straight forward and enjoyable way of recording. Not sure why that is: more modern methods can be very similar but the experience is different and I don't enjoy it as much.
Back in the day, my punk band recorded our two-minute ‘masterpieces’ on the mighty Tascam four-track. Not sure we actually needed four tracks, though…

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Presonus HD9 also look similar

pres9.png

The headband on all 3 models is exactly the same.
Could be very close copies, could be the manufacturer sells the headbands to all 3 manufacturers or the original manufacturer sells them as parts. In all cases the print on top differs.

MarylandUSA

As you can see in my signature block, the Tascam TH-07 would fit in well with the rest of my headphone collection. I've had it on my radar, along with two other missing models: the ATH-M40X and the Senal SMH-1200. But thanks to your review, I'll take a hard pass.

Top Bottom