• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer (announced)

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dual opposed driver subwoofers are not exactly uncommon. There have been a number of them over the years. No one has an exclusive on this any more than anyone has an exclusive on ported or sealed.

Interesting that the 3000 Micro gets the same 800W amp as the SB3000. The SB1000 is rated at 350W and the SB2000 is 550W.

My guess is that the drivers in the 3000Micro are very low in efficiency, with a low Q in order that the small enclosure won't result in an excessively high Q for the completed sub. With combined diaphragm area approximately matching a single 11" driver, the interior enclosure volume is a good bit smaller than what would typically be required for an 11" driver.

MrPeabody

Rhythmik, GoldenEar, Dynaudio, Bowers & Wilkins and Barefoot are among the companies currently offering dual opposed subwoofer models.

Not that it matters much because certainly there have been subs with dual opposing active drivers for a long time, however I think that some of the subs you listed might use opposing passive radiators and a single active driver.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, it looks definitely like a copycat of KEF KF92 using the 8-inch drivers. Even the logo is on the same spot. LOL

This one has grilles, so in that respect it is superior to KEF.

Small dual-opposed subs are nothing new. What would be interesting is to see how the new generation has improved compared to older models such as the Pinnacle Baby Boomer.

More Dynamics Please

Not that it matters much because certainly there have been subs with dual opposing active drivers for a long time, however I think that some of the subs you listed might use opposing passive radiators and a single active driver.

I believe they're all dual active but if not there are others that are. :)

flyzipper

Not digging those stamped** baskets, but costs have to be cut somewhere and I'm still curious how the overall system performs.

** in SVS-speak... Dual 8-inch baskets with FEA optimized powder-coated frames for maximum rigidity, thermal conductivity, and mechanical damping

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A competitor to the KEF RC62? The SVS is a little larger in every dimension, has 800W instead of 1000W, larger subwoofer area and almost half the price (800 usd versus 1500 usd).

Last edited:

prmfeddema

Yes - Here are the differences in size (mm)

KC62-vs-3000_micro.jpg

Advantages for the 3000 micro are:
1) wireless controls
2) cheaper wireless module

This is going to give KEF a run for it's money. It need to - at least - offer the wireless module for free and/or come up with revision including wireless controls.

Of course it remains to be seen how precise these are playing. The 3000 micro will be available by april-end at which i will compare them both.

<edit> unless Kef decides to provide a wireless transmitter/reciever for free with the KC62 - then i will go for the KC62, otherwise chances are big that i will end up with the 3000 micro.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Looks nice but pure size wise it’s going into most studio sub category so might not be that competitive after all.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not digging those stamped** baskets, but costs have to be cut somewhere and I'm still curious how the overall system performs.

** in SVS-speak... Dual 8-inch baskets with FEA optimized powder-coated frames for maximum rigidity, thermal conductivity, and mechanical damping
What is wrong with stamped baskets, other than fashion? Steel has three times the stiffness of ally and stamping from sheet probably produces more consistency from unit to unit than castings. Bass units are not producing high frequencies to be reflected back through the cone by the flat secrions and easily has big enough holes for airflow.
The motor design is massively more important to the performance than the basket.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dual opposed sub drivers are nothing new, what is more recent is putting them in a small sealed box and using DSP and a super powerful amp to compensate for the natural roll off of the small enclosure.
I do think, given the vast pressures this will create in the box, designs with the drivers connected to each other and super stiff composite cones will definitely be technically superior.

More Dynamics Please

OK, for my own memory check and for the benefit of those who aren't familiar with how many dual opposed active driver subs are already on the market, here are models from the five companies I previously mentioned: Rythmik G25HP, GoldenEar SuperSub X/XXL, Dynaudio 18S, Bowers & Wilkins DB1D/DB2D/DB3D and Barefoot MicroSub45. Note that some offer 8" drivers and some of those drivers are connected back-to-back.

flyzipper

What is wrong with stamped baskets, other than fashion?

I'm certainly not an expert, but I've always read that properly cast baskets are more rigid, and that stamped baskets will ring at larger sizes. Modern castings have very high tolerances (at a higher cost), and cast clearly allows larger openings to not impede the back wave of the driver.

The main aspect that influences my opinion is that very high performing subwoofers use cast frames, so even if it's not the primary source of high performance, it tends to come along for the ride with all the other design decisions that comprise the system.

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Given the increased cost of manufacturing and designing cast enclosures id rather pressed steel (perfectly functional) was used and money was spent elsewhere in the design/construction/electronics

MrPeabody

OK, for my own memory check and for the benefit of those who aren't familiar with how many dual opposed active driver subs are already on the market, here are models from the five companies I previously mentioned: Rythmik G25HP, GoldenEar SuperSub X/XXL, Dynaudio 18S, Bowers & Wilkins DB1D/DB2D/DB3D and Barefoot MicroSub45. Note that some offer 8" drivers and some of those drivers are connected back-to-back.

I had confused one of the brands you mentioned with another brand that doesn't (so far as I know) make subs with dual opposing drivers, but that does make subs with one active driver and dual opposing passive radiators. Sorry about that. It was brain flatulence.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always read that properly cast baskets are more rigid
There is a lot of BS from non-technically minded people on the internet.
Cast ally, as a material is 3x less stiff than steel for a given cross section.
The design of the basket makes a difference too but castings are rerely as stiff as sheet steel fabrications. That is why we changed from cast hub carriers to sheet steel ones in Formula 1 cars about 40 years ago.

samysound

What is wrong with stamped baskets, other than fashion? Steel has three times the specific stiffness of ally and stamping from sheet probably produces more consistency from unit to unit than castings. Bass units are not producing high frequencies to be reflected back through the cone by the flat secrions and easily has big enough holes for airflow.
The motor design is massively more important to the performance than the basket.

The specific stiffness (modulus/density) of aluminum alloy and steel is actually pretty similar due to the difference in density between the two alloys.

samysound

There is a lot of BS from non-technically minded people on the internet.
Cast ally, as a material is 3x less stiff than steel for a given cross section.
The design of the basket makes a difference too but castings are rerely as stiff as sheet steel fabrications. That is why we changed from cast hub carriers to sheet steel ones in Formula 1 cars about 40 years ago.
castings also typically have poor fatigue and strength performance compared to wrought. I would imagine not a huge difference youngs modulus for a given alloy composition (the porosity in the casting may effectively decrease the modulus).

Top Bottom