• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer (announced)

jonfitch

Is that grill removable? Asthetics looks terrible, it would look better with the inverted woofers bare. It looks like Joe N' Tell removed his but he didn't explain how and he made it sound like it wasn't a good idea.

Last edited:

joentell

Reviewer
Is that grill removable? Asthetics looks terrible, it would look better with the inverted woofers bare. It looks like Joe N' Tell removed his but he didn't explain how and he made it sound like it wasn't a good idea.
Friction fit. Just used a sharp pair of tweezers to fit into the grill holes and pulled up lightly on different sections making sure not to poke the driver.

prmfeddema

Hmmm - that doesn’t sound good. To me the sub also looks better without grills. For this price i expect something better than friction fit...

joentell

Reviewer
Hmmm - that doesn’t sound good. To me the sub also looks better without grills. For this price i expect something better than friction fit...
I think it was actually pretty precise. It seemed to have some kind of felt or something. It definitely required some force which tells me it wouldn't be likely to vibrate or be taken off by kids. I think they also wanted to keep it as compact as possible as grills add width.

prmfeddema

I think it was actually pretty precise. It seemed to have some kind of felt or something. It definitely required some force which tells me it wouldn't be likely to vibrate or be taken off by kids. I think they also wanted to keep it as compact as possible as grills add width.

No worries - you were very precise. I’m surprised that SVS did not use a magnetic fixture or something which is easier te remove. In any case: _if_ i buy the 3000 micro the grills will be removed.. much nicer that way.

joentell

Reviewer
No worries - you were very precise. I’m surprised that SVS did not use a magnetic fixture or something which is easier te remove. In any case: _if_ i buy the 3000 micro the grills will be removed.. much nicer that way.
I think grills removed is the way to go....unless you have young kids.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The specific stiffness (modulus/density) of aluminum alloy and steel is actually pretty similar due to the difference in density between the two alloys.
:facepalm: Correct, my mistake, I didn't mean specific I meant simple stiffness. I have been pointing that out for 40 years :facepalm:.
Most engineering metals have the same specific stiffness. I did know that :) It is why there is no point to use titanium instead of steel where stiffness is more important than strength.
Sorry for my mistake. My explanation is only valid for stiffness.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
castings also typically have poor fatigue and strength performance compared to wrought. I would imagine not a huge difference youngs modulus for a given alloy composition (the porosity in the casting may effectively decrease the modulus).
Actually porosity just reduces the section and therefore increases strees, particularly locally. Mind you if a measurement was made of a porous sample the modulus would appear to have changed if the cross sectional area was not corrected for the area of the voids.

Anyway, IME there are few non-corrosion environment structural projects where steel isn't a good solution.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SVS has very nice build quality, at least on my PB16. The friction fit of the grill I use is excellent. Everything lines up and it stays put.

I think grills removed is the way to go....unless you have young kids.
Or a dog. Which is why my PB16 has the grill on.

You should review some ported subs vs sealed.

flyzipper

for a given cross section

... back to this.

Isn't that a major point to gloss over when discussing a physical 3D component, rather than raw materials?

Clearly you understand the raw materials better than I, but how do you reconcile that the majority of high performance subwoofer drivers* use cast baskets? Are you honestly asserting that manufacturers** who use cast baskets are specifying an inferior item that's harder to make and more costly simply because they look better ("fashion")? How deep or complex can a stamping be, for example?

* "high performance", in my definition is the realm of high excursion 12, 15, 18, and 21 inch drivers, not 8 as SVS is using here.
** JTR, Power Sound Audio, Funk Audio, JL Audio, and even SVS themselves on their higher end units, or the KEF Uni-Core people are comparing this to.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SVS site:

https://www.svsound.com/products/3000-micro-subwoofer

shows a curve where -3dB is about 30Hz or so. Then below that they say 23Hz to 240Hz +/-3dB. Maybe that is with EQ? I have the Pinnacle BabyBoomer and that one seems pressed to get near 30Hz in room at moderate volume. This one looks to be quite a bit better than the Pinnacle -- more powerful amp and the EQ. But can it really go into the low 20s at decent SPL without a lot of distortion?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you honestly asserting that manufacturers** who use cast baskets are specifying an inferior item that's harder to make and more costly.
Could be. You were convinced :)

Which is more expensive depends on production volume and tooling cost.

In Formula 1 several reputable designers used fabricated Titanium hub carriers even though they were much more expensive, prone to oxygen embrittlement and not lighter unless one accepts a less stiff wheel control.
My boss insisted we should be getting them, even though our budget was limited and we had shown on a test rig they were definitely not better.
Non-technically minded humans can be easily swayed it seems.

Personally I don't care what the basket is made of, making a linear long travel motor is the clever and important thing, not a peripheral design detail.
In one of these sealed units with a very powerful amp and DSP fighting against natural roll off I would have thought a stiff cone, skins on a core of some sort, would be important too.

flyzipper

making a linear long travel motor is the clever and important thing

Thanks for that.

The preference I've established for cast baskets is simply a heuristic that's developed because I value long travel motors, and I haven't seen a driver with that important characteristic using a stamped basket.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What I find surprising is the lack of weight, only 22.5lbs. Wouldn't a good motor need much beefier magnets ?

In contrast, the KC62 is 30lbs even though it's physically smaller.

jonfitch

There is this dual driver micro sub: https://community.savant.com/Defaul...isCSRFlow=true&portalUser=&store=&cclcl=en_US

It is only 7.5” x 8” x 9”

The actual response looks so bad even my bookshelf speakers dig deeper than that though. I mean -10db at 50hz?! I'm pretty sure even a small bookshelf speaker with 5" midbass drivers can do better than that.

RCC Nano-1
1115artison.meas.jpg

Sunfire XTEQ10

915sunfire.meas.jpg

SVS SB-1000

1214svssp.meas.jpg

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What I find surprising is the lack of weight, only 22.5lbs. Wouldn't a good motor need much beefier magnets ?

In contrast, the KC62 is 30lbs even though it's physically smaller.

SVS subs are generally lighter in weight than their direct competition from other companies. For example the SB1000 Pro weighs just 26 lbs which is lighter than most competitive 12" sealed subs. SVS subs seem to measure well despite their relatively lighter weights.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My boss insisted we should be getting them, even though our budget was limited and we had shown on a test rig they were definitely not better.
Sounds like, IIRC, Tyrrell's pursuit of a carbon-fiber transmission housing. Expensive & difficult to engineer, but it would allow you to relocate ~10-20kg ballast, because your car was already under the mass limit!

Top Bottom