• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion For Amir Youtube Video - Testing Vibration Effects On Components!

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
lol...these products. If you're living like The Blues Brothers in a 3rd story bachelor pad with a train screaming past your window every 3 minutes I'm thinking the finer details of audio reproduction probably aren't a big concern for you. Most of our living rooms aren't vibrating like sex toys all day long...

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
lol...these products. If you're living like The Blues Brothers in a 3rd story bachelor pad with a train screaming past your window every 3 minutes I'm thinking the finer details of audio reproduction probably aren't a big concern for you. Most of our living rooms aren't vibrating like sex toys all day long...
We can measure, it’s not speculative.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The goal is to measure the effect if vibration reducing tweaks such as footers. I will be doing before and after testing so no need for absolute testing.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Sure, and it'll be interesting to see what those measurements tell us, but I'm willing to bet that the impact on sound quality from vibration on the average user's system is well within the completely negligible/inaudible range making products such as those in the original post pretty much useless...I doubt anyone is getting improved "focus, resolution, deblurring ( :facepalm: ), tighter lows, pace and rhythm" from their system by sitting the components on top of expensive cushy pads - turntables excepted of course but that's a whole separate kettle of fish lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

The level of vibration induced into gear from speakers is very small and bass centered. So no need for violent testing.
1694798556894.png

BR52

"What" exactly are "we" measuring?
Against what Pass/Fail criteria and/or standard(s)?
To What end?
Why?
Why: to bring „ magic feed and so on „ a little out of the audio discussion .

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The level of vibration induced into gear from speakers is very small and bass centered. So no need for violent testing.
How and when will the 'objective' criteria be established?
Should such important stuff be determined first, before even purchasing test hw?

BR52

Should such important stuff be determined first, before even purchasing test hw?
A little project management can avoid unnecessary work and frustration too.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Another model of Dayton thruster exciter I have heard at a Vintage DIY fair. What should I say? Hm, well they vibrated on. There was sound.... good, although not super HiFi, if I put it diplomatically. A lot of EQ would probably have made sense to apply to the solution I heard.

BUT as a sound experiment then they are probably really fun to fiddle with. :) Place several such thruster exciter on different materials and different physical forms of that material. It is easy to test. Only the imagination sets the limits of the acoustic experiments.

Pictures of them from #20 in the thread. They sit on the blue styrofoam panels:
IMG_20220312_132436.jpg

Edit:
Note that they are pressed onto a material/panel and then attached with glue that sticks to them. IF it is difficult to move them between different materials once you have attached them to the first material, I do not know.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Factoid: Per Sorbothane (proprietary urethane) datasheet: Its 'acoustical properties' is supposed to provide 40dB/cm of "transmission loss" at 50Hz [loss increasing w/frequency but no slope provided...hysteresis loss = mech2heat] << It is like saying the speaker resistance is 8-Ohms.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm happy to see that the test is actually becoming a reality!

The purported problem of vibration with audiophile electronics has never made sense to me. It's not just that a cogent technical explanation is rarely put forth; I also wonder just how much vibration audiophiles imagine is happening in their gear? I presume it's supposed to come from the sound itself, from the speakers. Which would implicate mostly shaking from bass waves. But of course audiophiles won't confine the sonic benefits of their new isolation shelf or footer to just heavy bass tracks. Those "improved, smoother highs" will be cited across all music tracks, whether heavy vibration from the bass is likely to be implicated or not. There's no coherent theory that I can see.

My source equipment is all in another room down the hall from my listening room, so it's not affected by the speaker signal. No need for footers I guess, as I must have an enviably "black" noise floor. :D

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am not aware of any information or research in this field (fidelity impact in audio gear). So the instrumentation is necessary to see what we are dealing with. Sitting here pontificating is not going to give us the answer. I am also going very slow on expenditure but I must say, getting a Laser Vibrometer is extremely tempting!!! :)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
we are talking about $800 plus my time. Is it worth it?
I think it's worth a go to test vibration control in the audio sphere in general.

People are out there, right now, spending thousands of dollars to isolate their gear from vibrations.

Likewise, putting speakers on spikes (or pads) or even more expensive contraptions to either couple or decouple things from each other, for fear that vibrations will hurt sound quality.

There are very few objective tests of these things anywhere on the web. Even a few tests could save people thousands.

Some of those thousands will go toward gear that is actually worth the money instead, which will advance the state of the industry. More money for good speakers and electronics means more of those things for the rest of us.

So... IMO go for it!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Note that they are pressed onto a material/panel and then attached with glue that sticks to them. IF it is difficult to move them between different materials once you have attached them to the first material, I do not know.
Yes, I noticed that. Hence the reason I also bought the "butt shaker." Will have to experiment to see which works best.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am also going very slow on expenditure but I must say, getting a Laser Vibrometer is extremely tempting!!!

You just want a new toy. :)

Could also use it in conjunction with loudspeaker/driver testing, depending on its resolution...

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Except for turntables.

And cassette decks, tuners, many phono stages, pretty much all tube gear and even some integrated and pre amplifiers. So yeah, a few things...

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you keep one foot on the ground , and keep things realistic for home or studio use, then your original idea of a subwoofer should be adequate . For repeated predictable knocks, a pneumatic SDS drill would do the trick.
4G shakes and knocks are for NASA and military.
For trivia, I know that the original Chord Mojo would produce an audible sound if knocked!
But it never bothered anyone.
Why it did, I never found out.
Ofcoirse tube gear can be microphonic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom