• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer connection question

malcom

Hi everyone! First post :) I have only just began delving into the audio equipment world and I while I am starting to get the grasp of all the components/connections/specs etc I still have a lot of things to clear up in my head about how certain things work.

Recently I bought the popular Fiio d03k taishan (https://www.fiio.com/d03k) because my new TV only has optical audio out and I was looking for a cheap solution to output audio to the speakers I bought. I am using the RCA outputs to my active speakers (they have balanced and unbalanced inputs) and it works just fine.
BUT I am going down the audio rabbithole and keep thinking how I can upgrade, and firstly how could I add a subwoofer.

So my (maybe stupid) question is: Do you think I could use the 3.5 mm line output of the Fiio DAC to connect to an active subwoofer with a 3.5 mm to RCA cable? Since this a line level ouput I thought it might be ok since the sub does not need amplification but I cannot find anyone mentioning this kind of connection online (not an encouraging sign).
The specs of the Fiio are in the first picture, in case the electrical sensitivity (1.5Vrms/10kΩ) of the output are important since I don't really understand these things quite well yet.

Yesterday I found nearby a secondhand Klipsch R-10SW for 150euros and after doing some research (also seeing that for many people here this barely qualifies as a sub) I think that for my beginner needs and space size (and neighbors) this sub will be quite good. It only has RCA inputs (2nd picture).

I understand that I will have to adjust volume and crossover from the sub itself but I don't mind as a starting point, I am not troubled by this inconvenience I just want to make sure I don't damage the equipment.

1675877753067.png

1675878725218.png

Is this possible?

If not what could be an alternative? I need optical input because of my TV and short of buying a receiver ($$) to plug everything in I cannot find an inexpensive solution.
Is it possible to do just using RCA splitters?
Are there products with (optical input) to help me put together this kind of 2.1 setup?

Even very nice DACs like the SMSL SU-9 (also found for a good price 2nd hand) have only one balanced and one unbalanced output. And I guess it is not possible to have simultaneous output from the balanced XLR (to speakers) and the unbalanced RCA (to subwoofer) in the same system. Excuse my second stupid question but is that the case?

Sorry for the long post! :)

Attachments

• 1675877705300.png
    1675877705300.png
    333.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, if you don't mind the adjustment of sub volume on the sub itself, that will work. Line out generally just means no volume control if it's coming out of a pre-amp....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Noob sub advice:

When adjusting your sub volume...

I'd keep it toward the low side.

You want it to enhance what is being played by the speakers, but not necessarily be noticeable, until you turn it off and notice what's suddenly missing.

Try listening to the sub only for a little bit. It isn't a very useful sound by itself.

Top Bottom