• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio monitor speakers without hiss?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I don't hear any hiss at all from my JBL 305P MKII's. Perhaps because I'm an old fart? My hearing probably drops off precipitously above about 10K or so at my age; is the hiss above that frequency?

Alchemist_

It is important to have 4 resistors per monitor (2 per woofer, 2 per tweeter). If you google 'l-pad calculator' there are a number than show the rather simple schematic required. Basically one resister is attached along the positive wire (in series) and one is attached across both positive and negative wires (parallel). You need 2 resistors per tweeter and woofer using the correct values from the l-pad calculator -- using a single resistor would throw the frequency balance of the monitor off. I used 10W ceramic fixed resistors which I'm told is appropriate (try not to get less wattage than that if possible.)
and the power of the resistors (watts) depends on the impedance of the speakers? I know how many resistors in ohms are selected.

pg_ben

and the power of the resistors (watts) depends on the impedance of the speakers? I know how many resistors in ohms are selected.
If you look in your monitor manual it may show the impedance of the speakers. That needs to be input into the l-pad calculator to get the right resistor values (Ohms). Wattage for resistors determines how much heat they can dissipate, but doesn't affect the circuit. As far as I know 10W should be fine for the average nearfield monitor.

Last edited:

pick_d

R80- they hiss even if the handle is turned to the minimum sound?
Registered just to say that they do hiss like a bunch of hungry snakes.

Bought R80 and while I love the sound, I just hate the hiss level.
They hiss like crazy, at least to my ears and in my room, and hiss is audible even from 2-3m. It is totally beyond acceptable.

And yes, they hiss even at min gain (as others already have said, it doesn't change anything), even without audio cable plugged in, both monitors equally loud.

I tried every power outlet and they still hiss the same. Ground lifting - nope, still same hiss.
Tried even plugging into UPS and run it on batteries (disconnected from power outlet from the wall), with PC turned off - doesn't matter, hissing doesn't change a bit. It is still there, still loud.

Not sure if I can live with that as I place monitors on my table and the hiss leve is just unreasonably loud and annoying. Could be the absense of proper grounding in my flat, but still.

You were curious (according to your old post on IXBT) whether they "fart" or "pop" when turned on - nope, they don't. There's audible quiet "pop" when I reboot the OS and usb-powered sound interface goes off, but it's even quiter than on smaller desktop speakers I used before.

Moreover, power switch died within 1st hour after few switching interactions, lol. Now it's just stuck at "always on" position (well, that's not so bad). I have never ever experienced power switch failure even when using extremely cheap stuff for years.
Short vid on YT

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is important to have 4 resistors per monitor (2 per woofer, 2 per tweeter). If you google 'l-pad calculator' there are a number than show the rather simple schematic required. Basically one resister is attached along the positive wire (in series) and one is attached across both positive and negative wires (parallel).
This is necessary for passive speakers because the passive crossover is made for a specific load impedance. Changing the load impedance may result in changes of the frequency response.

For an active speaker however it's sufficient to use a series resistor since the power amp drives the woofer/tweeter directly. Its output impedance is so low that a higher load impedance has no effect on frequency response. This single resistor solution has the additional advantage that the amplifier needs to produce less power (same voltage, less current) which reduces heat emission and may increase its life time.

Alchemist_

They hiss like crazy, at least to my ears and in my room, and hiss is audible even from 2-3m. It is totally beyond acceptable.

And yes, they hiss even at min gain (as others already have said, it doesn't change anything), even without audio cable plugged in, both monitors equally loud.

I tried every power outlet and they still hiss the same. Ground lifting - nope, still same hiss.
Tried even plugging into UPS and run it on batteries (disconnected from power outlet from the wall), with PC turned off - doesn't matter, hissing doesn't change a bit. It is still there, still loud.

Not sure if I can live with that as I place monitors on my table and the hiss leve is just unreasonably loud and annoying. Could be the absense of proper grounding in my flat, but still.

You were curious (according to your old post on IXBT) whether they "fart" or "pop" when turned on - nope, they don't. There's audible quiet "pop" when I reboot the OS and usb-powered sound interface goes off, but it's even quiter than on smaller desktop speakers I used before.

Moreover, power switch died within 1st hour after few switching interactions, lol. Now it's just stuck at "always on" position (well, that's not so bad). I have never ever experienced power switch failure even when using extremely cheap stuff for years.
Short vid on YT
Unfortunately, the hiss is a consequence of the operation of the amplifier( it just does not fix it(((((

Alchemist_

This is necessary for passive speakers because the passive crossover is made for a specific load impedance. Changing the load impedance may result in changes of the frequency response.

For an active speaker however it's sufficient to use a series resistor since the power amp drives the woofer/tweeter directly. Its output impedance is so low that a higher load impedance has no effect on frequency response. This single resistor solution has the additional advantage that the amplifier needs to produce less power (same voltage, less current) which reduces heat emission and may increase its life time.

(active speaker) thank you, I understand correctly that the power of the resistor (ohms) is calculated based on the number (ohms) of the speaker? In fact, I only need to know how many ohms of the speaker to pick up a resistor to it?

usern

Hah, R65 hiss is why I registered on this forums. The Presonus R series really is bad in that aspect. You went much further in testing it, I just returned them when I heard the hiss without any input cables connected.
I don't hear any hiss at all from my JBL 305P MKII's. Perhaps because I'm an old fart? My hearing probably drops off precipitously above about 10K or so at my age; is the hiss above that frequency?
Could be that things like street noise or AC drowns out the monitor speaker hiss.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yamaha HSx and some Genelecs aside - some of the biggest names in pro audio are all about low SNR but have very audible hiss at nearfield...

it boggles the brain how they can allow this at R&D stage

Music1969

Major Contributor
Maybe not studio monitors but I believe the KEF LS50 II's are very quiet, according to a friend that has them.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(active speaker) thank you, I understand correctly that the power of the resistor (ohms) is calculated based on the number (ohms) of the speaker? In fact, I only need to know how many ohms of the speaker to pick up a resistor to it?
First you need to know how much you want to reduce the voltage over the woofer/tweeter. Then you can calculate the resistance required (depends on the impedance of the woofer/tweeter). Then you can calculate how much power the resistor needs to handle.

Alchemist_

First you need to know how much you want to reduce the voltage over the woofer/tweeter. Then you can calculate the resistance required (depends on the impedance of the woofer/tweeter). Then you can calculate how much power the resistor needs to handle.
how much to reduce the voltage( I do not know here, for example, the above person wrote in dbl. dbl the manufacturer writes the value in the description. and what would know the voltage probably need to be measured with a tester ?
And how do you know the speaker impedance? sometimes this information is hidden. For example, above a person writes about the noise of R80, there is not even a number of ohms written about the dynamics. it is not entirely clear where to get all this information. write to the manufacturer?

Pawelekdabek

KH120 are very, very quiet, almost unhearable at extreme nearfield distance (around 70/80cm). I had also 8030C and its hiss was easliy hearable at distance around 85cm. I aslo tried APS Klasik 2020 earlier and they hissed the most out of these three pairs

pick_d

it just does not fix it(((((
Which is quite sad :-(
I'll try to deal with it (or get used to it, lol), or will have to sell them.

Hah, R65 hiss is why I registered on this forums.
I saw your comment before I ordered it :) But there were some lucky dudes who reported that they have no audible hiss from R80 and I thought maybe I'll get lucky. Well, didn't work this way :)
Some guys reported that they managed to fix noise with ground lifting, but again, didn't work for me.

I'd gladly return units, however considering that I ordered them from Germany to Russia and with all bureaucracy in mind it's easier to sell them here rather than dive into all those issues and hassle with customs and postal services. And on top of that customs wont refund me the fee I paid for this (Note to myself: try to avoid gvrnmnt agencies, damn rascals :) ).

On the other hand, they sound fantastic. Not that I have much experience with monitors though. I feel like I finally have decent lows and pronounced highs. Hi-hat, china and stuff - all sound tasty, drum kick is meaty and powerful. Probably I'd get same results with any other low-mid budget monitors, and anything would be a huge upgrade from my desktop speakers, and all my excitement comes from the fact that the only quality speakers I used were guitar cabs etc, but still.

Alchemist_

Which is quite sad :-(
I'll try to deal with it (or get used to it, lol), or will have to sell them.

I saw your comment before I ordered it :) But there were some lucky dudes who reported that they have no audible hiss from R80 and I thought maybe I'll get lucky. Well, didn't work this way :)
Some guys reported that they managed to fix noise with ground lifting, but again, didn't work for me.

I'd gladly return units, however considering that I ordered them from Germany to Russia and with all bureaucracy in mind it's easier to sell them here rather than dive into all those issues and hassle with customs and postal services. And on top of that customs wont refund me the fee I paid for this (Note to myself: try to avoid gvrnmnt agencies, damn rascals :) ).

On the other hand, they sound fantastic. Not that I have much experience with monitors though. I feel like I finally have decent lows and pronounced highs. Hi-hat, china and stuff - all sound tasty, drum kick is meaty and powerful. Probably I'd get same results with any other low-mid budget monitors, and anything would be a huge upgrade from my desktop speakers, and all my excitement comes from the fact that the only quality speakers I used were guitar cabs etc, but still.

не слышат шум, те кто на расстоянии от них 3 метра))
Заклеивание изолентой заземления решает вопрос гудения только низкочастотного динамика.
Мне кажется за 500 $ это лучшее что можно купить, но Шипение....((((
Попросите у производителя схему усилителя, может подскажут решения в интернете: можно впаять например регулятор громкости убавить его внутри мониторов а на интерфейсе добавить громкость та же а шипения не будет или почти не будет. Но без схемы никто не подскажет точно. там оказывается есть варианты... ps из дешевого не шипит - знаю Yamaha HS7 думаю 8 тоже не шипит и про Mackie MR824 так говорят, но читал отзывы про маки чувак пишет что его Alesis старый звучит лучше)))). Из дорогого нойманы не шипят.
(
do not hear the noise, those who are at a distance of 3 meters from them))
Sealing the ground with electrical tape solves the problem of humming only the low-frequency speaker.
I think for $ 500 it's the best you can buy, but Sizzle....((((
Ask the manufacturer for the amplifier circuit, maybe they will tell you solutions on the Internet: you can solder for example the volume control turn it down inside the monitors and add the same volume on the interface and there will be no hiss or almost no hiss. But without a diagram, no one can tell you exactly. it turns out there are options... ps from the cheap does not sizzle - I know the Yamaha HS7 I think 8 also does not sizzle and they say so about the Mackie MR824, but I read reviews about the macs, the dude writes that his Alesis old sounds better)))). Expensive neumanns don't sizzle.
)

Last edited:

pick_d

не слышат шум, те кто на расстоянии от них 3 метра))
Заклеивание изолентой заземления решает вопрос гудения только низкочастотного динамика.
Мне кажется за 500 $ это лучшее что можно купить, но Шипение....((((
Попросите у производителя схему усилителя, может подскажут решения: можно впаять например регулятор громкости убавить его внутри мониторов а на интерфейсе добавить громкость та же а шипения не будет или почти не будет. Но без схемы никто не подскажет точно. там оказывается есть варианты... ps из дешевого не шипит - знаю Yamaha HS7 думаю 8 тоже не шипит и про Mackie MR824 так говорят, но читал отзывы про маки чувак пишет что его Alesis старый звучит лучше. Из дорогого нойманы не шипят))))
(
do not hear the noise, those who are at a distance of 3 meters from them))
Sealing the ground with electrical tape solves the problem of humming only the low-frequency speaker.
I think for $ 500 it's the best you can buy, but Sizzle....((((
Ask the manufacturer for the amplifier circuit, maybe they will tell you solutions: you can solder for example the volume control turn it down inside the monitors and add the same volume on the interface and there will be no hiss or almost no hiss. But without a diagram, no one can tell you exactly. it turns out there are options... ps from the cheap does not sizzle - I know the Yamaha HS7 I think 8 also does not sizzle and Mackie MR824 so say, but read reviews pro maki dude writes that his Alesis the old sounds better. From expensive neumans do not sizzle))))
)

RU:
Мне тоже кажется, что всё, что лучше - уже стоит сильно дороже. Но я вот совсем не эксперт в теме, просто читаю чужие отзывы в промышленных масштабах и что-то откладывается.
Низкочастотный у меня не гудит, только твитер.
Самому колхозить ничего не хочется в новой вещице, да и в силовые компоненты лезть чё-т боязно, это не гитарные внутренности спаять или сигнальный проводок всё-таки, без понимания можно домудриться до КЗ или пожара с кривыми ручонками)
В ТП Presonus отписал, подожду ответа, но особо ни на что не надеюсь.
Либо буду привыкать, либо продам на Авито кому-нибудь, кто за 3 метра будет сидеть от них)

EN:
Best bang for the buck - probably, I would agree. However, all my so-called knowledge based on reviews and stuff, I'm not a pro or even enthusiast in sound by any means.
I don't hear noise coming from woofer, all the noise is only from tweeter.
Not really fond of messing up with new equipment, and especially not happy about tinkering with power elements. Soldering guitar or signal cable is fine by me, but not something like this which feeds from the wall outlet. Could be dangerous without proper skills and knowledge, which I don't have.
Submitted a ticket to Presonus support, however I don't expect much from them.
Either I'll have to get used to noise, or have to sell to someone who will use it at 3 meter distance :)

Alchemist_

RU:
Мне тоже кажется, что всё, что лучше - уже стоит сильно дороже. Но я вот совсем не эксперт в теме, просто читаю чужие отзывы в промышленных масштабах и что-то откладывается.
Низкочастотный у меня не гудит, только твитер.
Самому колхозить ничего не хочется в новой вещице, да и в силовые компоненты лезть чё-т боязно, это не гитарные внутренности спаять или сигнальный проводок всё-таки, без понимания можно домудриться до КЗ или пожара с кривыми ручонками)
В ТП Presonus отписал, подожду ответа, но особо ни на что не надеюсь.
Либо буду привыкать, либо продам на Авито кому-нибудь, кто за 3 метра будет сидеть от них)

EN:
Best bang for the buck - probably, I would agree. However, all my so-called knowledge based on reviews and stuff, I'm not a pro or even enthusiast in sound by any means.
I don't hear noise coming from woofer, all the noise is only from tweeter.
Not really fond of messing up with new equipment, and especially not happy about tinkering with power elements. Soldering guitar or signal cable is fine by me, but not something like this which feeds from the wall outlet. Could be dangerous without proper skills and knowledge, which I don't have.
Submitted a ticket to Presonus support, however I don't expect much from them.
Either I'll have to get used to noise, or have to sell to someone who will use it at 3 meter distance :)
Можете подобное видео сделать?

Alchemist_

Another kind person made me a video - there's a hiss from Mackie MR824 and Presonus E44.
But unfortunately in YouTube it is not and how to attach a video here I do not know.

Top Bottom