• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Strange Sound Coming From Subwoofer

TSD

With no cables attached but plugged either into an independent wall socket or the power strip where the rest of my equipment is, my sub makes a quiet but audible puh puh puh puh sound. This sound does not vary when any of the knobs on the back are turned (volume, crossover, phase switch). What’s going on? Thanks!

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Or with a periodic input check of the power saving.
Can you shorten the input?

Last edited:
OP
TSD

TSD

50hz in Kansas? 60hz perhaps.

Could be something to do with the amp rather than the electrical supply....
That’s what I’m afraid of.

OP
TSD

TSD

Reactions: MCH
OP
TSD

TSD

Or with a periodic input check of the power saving.
Can you shorten the input?
Not sure of your meaning here. You mean shorten the power cord?

BR52

:facepalm::facepalm: Please not! The signal input!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

BR52

He may not know about shorting the input. I've never found a use for such myself.
The puh puh problem can be generated by pic up from outside or is from the amplifier electronic it self. Assume a active sub. In the first case a input short can help to find out.
Sometimes we find new things :)

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Well... It seems to be defective. Is it still under warranty?

It may not be worth repairing if you have to pay, especially if you have to ship it.

You could get a new plate amp and "adapt it" to fit, but often the one built into the sub has some (unknown) built-in EQ for that particular speaker.

OP
TSD

TSD

UPDATE! I moved the sub out of the corner it was in. I had to use an standard extension cord to power it up in the original location socket. No more puh puh sound!! Plugged it into the wall in the new corner. No more puh puh sound!! The corner it was in had a lamp AND a Netgear Orbi WIFI access point with no active cables other than the lamp cord and a thin power cord for the satellite. I'm chalking this one up to poor shielding on the satellite power cord and/or the transformer. Thank you all!

Top Bottom