• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio doesn't sound good. Help me.

leon_neon

One day one of my Sony bookshelf speakers failed. I used it as an excuse to change to a headphone setup. I brought Magni+ and Modi+, the newest ones. I brought the HD660S2. I thought it sounded like its was too quiet/underwater, and turning it up to listenable volumes just made it sound like a water kettle. So i returned that. So I brought powered speakers, Eris 3.5 and Sub 8, same problem. Also realized my room is too small for a subwoofer. Returned that. Got the HD600's, same ISSUE. I said **** it, and just replaced the speakers that failed. SAME ISSUE AGAIN. At this point I just wanted something high end, and got the HD800S. And you guess it, same issue. Ive tried a different computer even. I've tried two different USB cables, two different ports. I've even tried the dvd player in the living room.

It's hard to describe. It's too quiet, I turn it up past 20% the sounds are fuzzy and grating and still not loud enough. I turn it up past 50% and it hurts to listen too. the bookshelf speakers, I had the av receiver at 40, now I have to turn it up to 65 to get the same volume. It sounds worse, and the right channel is quieter. The right channel being quieter is only with the bookshelf speakers though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not being a wiseguy here, but you may want to have your hearing checked. Also, perhaps you simply have wax buildup in your ears. That's very common.

OP
L

leon_neon

Not being a wiseguy here, but you may want to have your hearing checked. Also, perhaps you simply have wax buildup in your ears. That's very common.
It was fine before the speaker failed.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just speculating that you had been turning up the volume a little at a time until the speaker popped.

OP
L

leon_neon

Just speculating that you had been turning up the volume a little at a time until the speaker popped.
So you're saying my hearing went to **** in three days of the shipping for the new speakers to show up? Yea, right.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you're saying my hearing went to **** in three days of the shipping for the new speakers to show up? Yea, right.
No. I was saying your hearing was going before you blew out the speaker. Now, since you're such a nice person, I'll leave this discussion to others.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It seems you’ve switched out every element but the issue persists.

Speakers, headphones all have the same sonic issue despite the different set ups.

No common element, for sure?

This is perplexing.

The AVR is not a common element to it all? I apologize for any obvious questions.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well if all of them sounded muffed and on different components then it must be you. It doesn't have to be wax or hearing loss it can be a simple little stronger cold you catced. Is there any ringing? Try to describe sound and feeling more.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
You don't say what your primary source is for your listening. Is your main via computer soundcard? Or are you using an outbound DAC?

If you are sure your hearing is OK, you could swap with another basic (preferably non AVR) amp to see what happens with your speaker listening. If, as you say, one channel seems way off, perhaps something is wrong in the AVR and that's what took out your original Sony speaker...?

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you heard a system at a dealer that sounds good too you? If you hear a great sounding system that you can afford, I would buy that system. Alternatively, if every system sounds less than stellar then maybe you should have your hearing checked.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It sounds worse, and the right channel is quieter.
Something is broken if one channel is fine.

It's hard to know what from your description. Is there anything you haven't changed (it sounds like the AV has been a constant part of your various changes).

OP
L

leon_neon

My hearing is crap. I listen to my tv speakers, same **** .

OP
L

leon_neon

It's not the end of the world, the HD800S sounds better than the speakers. So I guess it's an upgrade? But now I'm depressed because I can't hear fick all. Oh well.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It's not the end of the world, the HD800S sounds better than the speakers. So I guess it's an upgrade? But now I'm depressed because I can't hear fick all. Oh well.
Where you ill recently? You are young so I hope it's temporary anyway. Can be inflammatory process or you exaggerated and got temporary hearing loss. In any case see doctor about it. Best wishes and hopes it will improve/pass.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, time for your ENT exam!

Fascinating, please get them checked out!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sounds like an ear infection where the ear drum is not in its normal position.

Go see a doctor and have your ears checked.
A good antibiotic and time can bring normal hearing back.

Top Bottom