• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stop YouTube ads once and for all

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW: I'm on Brave (Win11) and I didn't see anything changing until today
What changed? Do you mean you are getting the Countdown to Oblivion now?

I find that if I just log out, I don't get the 3 strikes and you're out message. Both with Firefox and Brave. I haven't logged back in to YT since they started it, so I don't know if they still threaten a lock out, or have decided it's not worth it to them to piss off their viewers. I doubt I will ever log back in.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheers @sweetchaos, this thread is epic, just like the other stuff in your signature.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Changelog:
Added section:
How I'm currently blocking ads on iOS?
1. I uninstalled YT app for iOS, it's useless.
2. I use Safari (browser) for day to day usage.
-Then, I bought SponsorBlock (application, which is a Safari extension) (iOS App store). This skips all sponsored segments inside the YT video.
-Then, I'm using AdGuard (application) (iOS App store). This skips all YT ads.
-Then, I listen to all YT videos at 1.5x the speed (instead of 1.0 default speed), so I bought StopTheMadness (application, which is a Safari extension) (iOS App store). To enable it, open Safari, click aA, select 'stopthemadness', then change 'playback speed' to 1.5, done.
3. If i'm driving and want to listen to background music using YT, I use Brave (browser) (iOS App store).
-Open it, go to settings, media, enable 'background music'. This means I can open m.youtube.com, start playing any music, and minimize Brave and the YT music doesn't stop playing, while I can use Navigation (Google Maps or Waze).
-I also have the option of changing default playback from default of 1 to 1.5x, manually, for non-music content.
-Obviously, there is no YT ads with Brave. But I lose the ability to skip sponsored segments using SponsorBlock (since it doesn't work for Brave). This is an acceptable compromise, since YT music doesn't have any sponsored segments inside videos.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Changelog:
2023-12-04:
UPDATE: As of Dec 4 (for Chrome) and Nov 22 (for other browsers), since updating to uBlock Origin 1.54.0, has changed the default autoUpdatePeriod from 2hr to 1hr. So you no longer need to change this yourself, since it's by default.

Also, with the introduction of uBlock Origin 1.54.0, they changed their algorithm (link to github) to allow for differential updates.
3ee3567b-e24f-4d39-90e2-915b39a114fb

"To benefit the much shorter update period enabled by differential updates, you must let uBO auto-update the filter lists. Forcing a manual update will prevent differential updates until the next time a list auto-update."

This is excellent news, since it allows for much quicker adlist updates. :)
uBlock Origin's developers are really kicking ass!

AdGuard is working on implementing the same change for their own software as well, coming shortly.

dzerig

Please refrain from the ethical discussion of this guide on my post. If you wish to discuss the ethics of this, see the previous post.
Fine, I will limit my comments to the legal side. Amir should be careful about hosting posts that contain guides that huge corporations may believe are intended to work around copyright protection.

Not because it's wrong.

Because he doesn't want to get sued. Which is unlikely. Don't be the 1% unlucky guy.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Changelog:
2023-12-11:
-Removed mention of the command-line utility allows you to download YT clips to your computer, since it’s considered ‘copyright violation’.

My thread is now legal.

Ncesar

I use Brave in my mobile phone, and I don't see any ads in YT. On my nvidia shield I use the YT app, and is very annoying the ads. Is infuriating the amount of ads. So anything that block ads is welcome.

Ncesar

Stop using it then.

SmartTube will block ads for Android TV. My guide shows you how.
OK, so I just installed smart tube, and is working. I only did a 15 min test, but no ads in the beginning or during the video. Today I will test for more time.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Adguard with Safari on OS X. It seems to avoid many ad blocker warnings. As for YouTube I hate it because I could read the information in a fraction of the time it takes to watch the video.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
As for YouTube I hate it because I could read the information in a fraction of the time it takes to watch the video.

If I feel I get triggered on YouTube recommendations by a question, I throw it in Google or Bard. I also often use the "valleys and hills"; just skip to the most viewed part. Some add-ons will transcribe videos. There is no necessity to waste time on YouTube nowadays.

Top Bottom