• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

stereo.net.au audiofoolery website

stereonet used to be fun many years ago , which allowed healthy debate . Now that Marc dude is a control freak and basically censures anything that might challenge the lies from the manufactures /advertisers peddle. DTVFORUM in Australia prior to that was much much better but got swallowed up by stereonet

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes precisely !

His way of dealing with comments he doesn't agree with is to either censor and/or ban the poster on his forum. He has so little knowledge about the underlying technology that he can't possibly debate anyone so he resorts to censorship.

Not only that if someone else writes stuff on another forum or in my case my own forum that he doesn't like, he sends you a threatening email to have it removed even if you didn't write it yourself, and if you don't do that he gets his lawyers onto you like he did with me :(

The threads that he wanted me to delete are still there for all to see on my website. I wasn't going to be intimidated by a bully especially when the posts were true accounts of what had happened in the past. There's nothing worse than someone stifling free speech just so they can profit from it :(

cheers

Penelinfi

@solderdude

I'm in what do you suggest. Audiophile speaker connection grease perhaps?
I actually have a small tin of some silver paste you paint onto one end of the connection, let it dry. It's good for up to 20 plug/unplug before recommend to do it again.
Gives you all those audiophile benefits you would expect of course ;-)

Actually maybe I should use it as repair paint or paint some cables on my wall seeing as it's conductive. That would be fun

Down South

Good luck dealing with that megalomaniac. He bans people for stating the obvious and censors threads or for example closes threads down on class-D amps for no apparent reason but will keep the cable threads going ad-infinitum. :facepalm: Surely you don't think you are going to have a rational conversation with someone who is driven by profits and has no electrical engineering background do you ??

Honestly speaking stereonet is just a glorified advertising platform and the owner is just a shill for all of the importers. It is not a forum for rational conversation.

It's fair game that stereonet cops some criticism for the rubbish they publish. I don't know why you are defending it being a regular frequenter to this forum. Try having a proper debate on stereonet like you do here and see how long you or your threads last :(

And BTW ASR gets a bagging from some of the posters on stereonet from time to time too and those posts are never deleted.
I face a possible ban on stereonet.au because I made a response to someone who mentioned 'sacred' music which he liked when I commented that the renaissance brought to an end the awful IMO dirge like 'music' that had dominated in Europe for centuries. This 'music' was replaced with the wonderful music of the Baroque period best typified by the incredible Four Seasons by Vivaldi. The 'moderator' then laid into me for introducing a religious element, threatening to ban me along with other posters who either didn't see or chose not to see that it wasn't me who introduced the 'sacred/religious topic.

I don't look at the equipment reviews just the forums and in so doing have an excellent Chris Daly designed Stereo Coffee pre/volume control.

That so many don't think an equipment rack has an important part to play in how a system will sound I find hard to believe. Whether your system sits on a reinforced concrete floor normally found in apartment blocks or worse a suspended wooden floor (even worse) both flooring systems will have an impact on the sound, especially if you have a turntable as your main source. I made my equipment rack using parts from 2 TV/VCR racks with welded Soundcare (speaker) spikes. It has 6 feet the large chromed steel legs are filled with sand and I use multi lead washers in between each section and slabs of polished slate beneath my T/T and other equipment - it means a lot of weight. As my music room is not that big it doesn't have to deal with the 'slam' of big bass transducers - it works for the crappy suspended wooden floor. A reinforced concrete floor also presents problems different from a SWF with lots of reflection. When I look at commercial steel racks I find that there is no real attempt to deal with vibration rising up through the steel legs, hence my use of sand and lead washers. If you use big speakers of whatever type you then potentially have a problem with airborne vibrations as well

In the UK I lived in what had been a mansion house converted into flats/apartments. I used a metal wall shelf for the T/T. Unfortunately the only place I could site this shelf on was a party wall which was just a couple of metres from the entrance door for the adjoining property so that when this door was shut with force the tonearm always seemed to do a samba.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I just wanted to mention that I've interacted in the stereo.net.au forum, and it's a really nice place, with really good people. There are contingents of objectivists and subjectivists, with a peaceful coexistence. I've had nothing but pleasant interactions there.

I'll go in defence of stereonet. Their aim is to be a gathering place for Australian hi-fi hobbyists. Australia is a very small place - about 1/10 the population of the USA. I have said elsewhere that objectivists are the minority in this hobby, by my estimate about 10% of audiophiles or maybe less, are objectivists. Now, put yourself in the owner's shoes for a moment. If you wanted to capture as many people from a tiny market as possible, it would be complete suicide to ban all subjectivist discussion because that's what the majority of hobbyists are. And besides, it's not as if they don't value objectivists. The objectivists who are there by and large are the chill and polite type, not like some of the more rabid ones here on ASR who don't seem to understand the measurements they are demanding and who seem to lack any balance or perspective whatsoever.

ASR is great as a technical resource. I come here because I can learn a lot more from members here than from SNA. But ASR is not a fun place. It is an angry place, as evidenced by some of the posts in this thread. So many people are so full of anger and bile and only seem interested in othering people or belittling them. SNA is fun, laid back, and friendly. You just learn to ignore all the weird opinions and let them be, which is what more of you should be doing! Sure, there is a commercial imperative but they have to survive. Running a forum is not cheap, you know.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
But ASR is not a fun place. It is an angry place, as evidenced by some of the posts in this thread. So many people are so full of anger and bile and only seem interested in othering people or belittling them.

I see a lot of opposition and quite a bit of ridicule, but not much bile or resentment. I wouldn't call ASR angry. I'd rather say it's a place where sympathy and empathy don't get first priority.

Don't know. Maybe I just spend time in the wrong threads, or I'm thick-skinned :D

Keith_W

Major Contributor
And BTW, for those of you who do not know the history of ASR ... you might consider the parent forum of ASR (What's Best Forum), of which Amir was a moderator, was a complete subjectivist place as well. And THAT place was birthed from the ashes of Audiogon when they had a change of owners and many A-gon members left. I still have many friends on WBF and I am on friendly terms with the owner who is a really lovely guy. You might note that my join date on ASR is only a few months after it was founded, I followed him here after wondering WTF he had gone. So I don't think you should be heaping bile on SNA, they are only a "typical" audio forum, albeit friendlier than most and DO provide a lot of value for the Australian hi-fi community. Where else can you go and meet all these people who are local to you, along with the hi-fi shows that SNA organizes, and the classifieds forum?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see a lot of opposition and quite a bit of ridicule, but not much bile or resentment. I wouldn't call ASR angry. I'd rather say it's a place where sympathy and empathy don't get first priority.

Don't know. Maybe I just spend time in the wrong threads, or I'm thick-skinned :D
I see a lot of people here get disproportionately "concerned" when someone shows up posting subjectivist tosh. Sure, tell them they're on ASR now, point out the logical flaws; but the attacks go on for hundreds of pages, to little or no purpose.

As for the subject of the thread: subjectivist forums are legion. We will not be able to do anything about that, no matter how much we deplore it.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for the subject of the thread: subjectivist forums are legion. We will not be able to do anything about that, no matter how much we deplore it.

No need to do anything about it. If people want to believe let them have it. But there are a lot of people new to the hobby looking for advice here, most probably will never even create an account or post stuff.

It's only responsible to point out if people voice unscientific claims, each and every time. It is unfortunate, but how things work in internet is that if you just leave these kind of things alone then the next thing you know people start talking how even in ASR there is no consensus on whether or not all cables sound the same, "discussion is ongoing" so to speak.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No need to do anything about it. If people want to believe let them have it. But there are a lot of people new to the hobby looking for advice here, most probably will never even create an account or post stuff.

It's only responsible to point out if people voice unscientific claims, each and every time. It is unfortunate, but how things work in internet is that if you just leave these kind of things alone then the next thing you know people start talking how even in ASR there is no consensus on whether or not all cables sound the same, "discussion is ongoing" so to speak.
Yes, I agree. It's just that quite often we get a little too worked up about it. Which of course invites trolls...

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which of course invites trolls...

Yes, I have noticed a few very good ones. The like that at first you just can't make your mind if it is a troll or not. I appreciate good trolling, it's an art when done properly.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I have noticed a few very good ones. The like that at first you just can't make your mind if it is a troll or not. I appreciate good trolling, it's an art when done properly.
To a point. It's frustrating that people engage them for hundreds of pages until the mods sweep them away. Yeah, I know, welcome to the internet :)

Top Bottom