• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

stereo.net.au audiofoolery website

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There's like a infinite number of things to promote outrage

The outrage industry took a hit in 2020 if you ask me. A real body blow. Peak, group-think driven outrage, reached a zenith in late 2019 and the puff was knocked out of it by Covid in 2020. Also took out a bunch of "influencers" and youtube "stars". Phew. Good riddance I say.

Sadly, I was at the beach today and saw a group of young, deluded, beautiful people, in their "luxe" giant white calico beach shelter, luxuriating in miniature deck chairs, eating prawns and drinking champagne, walking out to the ocean, furiously taking pictures of one another with the breeze floating their linen dresses, and their hair touselled and held up, like a Vogue magazine shoot.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Well, to be honest, I would trade everything I own today to be young, deluded, and beautiful again.

So true. I saw a ridiculously beautiful, tall and tanned 20 something in a white bikini walk up to the beach shower I was using and I thought to myself, "if only I was in my twenties again". Just for a second while we exchanged pleasantries. Honest.

But I had a great time in my youth, wouldn't swap it for the world and certainly don't want to re-live it now I am in my 50s.

Some of my friends however, they still think they are 25...:facepalm:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Sadly, I was at the beach today and saw a group of young, deluded, beautiful people, in their "luxe" giant white calico beach shelter

Didn't everyone have at least one friend that moved to CA and started to send Christmas cards with 3 perfect children all dressed in white linen sitting on the beach?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Didn't everyone have at least one friend that moved to CA and started to send Christmas cards with 3 perfect children all dressed in white linen sitting on the beach?

And you have gotta love those computer printed "Christmas letters" folded and placed in card. You know, the "all about me, my wonderful life and perfect kids" essays. Worst thing is, my sister still sends those horrible things to Mum and Dad. :facepalm:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And you have gotta love those computer printed "Christmas letters" folded and placed in card. You know, the "all about me, my wonderful life and perfect kids" essays. Worst thing is, my sister still sends those horrible things to Mum and Dad. :facepalm:

"Brag letters", we call them. Can be pretty narcissistic.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

I disconnected with at least two or three long time friends because the kid bragging became insufferable. BTW in Au where is the posh place to relocate, like the California coast used to be here?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
BTW in Au where is the posh place to relocate, like the California coast used to be here?

The Gold Coast in Queensland for all the serious money "lifestyle" re-locations. But some of the smaller "boutique" north coast towns of New South Wales are becoming mini-hotspots for sea-changers. Byron Bay for example attracts both hippies/backpackers and movie stars wanting a "slow and authentic" life. It's all curated bullsh#t if you ask me.

I've lived on the gold coast for 43 years, since I was 10yo. The population was 63,000 in 1977. I believe it is just about to hit 700,000. Nothing is the same. Some water/beachfront homes have been bulldozed and rebuilt with bigger and bigger mansions three times at least in that time. Nothing is sacred except the mighty development dollar. Even modern <20year old high rises have been demolished to put bigger ones in their place. A bit like Miami over there with all the canal estates?

We are 150M above sea level in the hinterland, on bushland acreage, away from the glitter strip as we call it. No noise, just creatures, trees and nature. (and potential bushfires).

andyc56

I just wanted to mention that I've interacted in the stereo.net.au forum, and it's a really nice place, with really good people. There are contingents of objectivists and subjectivists, with a peaceful coexistence. I've had nothing but pleasant interactions there.

I can't vouch for the main site though.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it interesting you singled out this website. Stereophile is guilty of the same thing. They had a cable article written by Herb Reichart earlier this year. Full of snake oil hearsay.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-33-interconnects-loudspeaker-cables

Has Reichert ever done a blind test of cables? It's just difficult for me to imagine living in this much...what's the right phrase...cognitive dissonance? Denial? Incuriousity?

Ale Dors

Guys, help me here please: so using the power cord that came with my Marantz receiver or these EGM cords will give me the same Audio results? I am about to buy them. Cheers

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, help me here please: so using the power cord that came with my Marantz receiver or these EGM cords will give me the same Audio results? I am about to buy them. Cheers
Give a controlled test a try and see for yourself. If whoever is selling them to you won’t let you do that, don’t do business with them.

My prediction is that it makes no audible difference in a properly controlled test.

Ale Dors

Give a controlled test a try and see for yourself. If whoever is selling them to you won’t let you do that, don’t do business with them.

My prediction is that it makes no audible difference in a properly controlled test.
Thank YOU

JSmith

Master Contributor
Why have you resurrected this thread... and have you actually read it? I can only assume not... man the title even says audiofoolery.

JSmith

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why have you resurrected this thread... and have you actually read it? I can only assume not... man the title even says audiofoolery.

JSmith
Recent joiner, I saw, so just answered straight up. If I was trolled, I just figure that reflects on the troll.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Was probably just the only thread that popped up when he did a search for 'EGM'. Doesn't seem malicious to me.

Top Bottom