• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB noise - USB isolator or new audio interface?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
None of the power sockets in the room are grounded.
I don't understand this, what country are you in?

You don't get the noise on the Focal speakers only the Yamaha speakers?

Have you tried using USB from the computer on a different bank of sockets?
That motherboard has Gen 1 and Gen 2 USB 3.2 and USB 2 as well. you might try the front sockets also.
Might not matter but worth a shot if you haven't tried. Don't have to buy anything if it works.

1709171280119.png

OP
T

toroto

I would recommend fixing the missing earth grounding problem first if any possible.
I don't understand this, what country are you in?
I rent a flat in France in an building from the 70s'. Some outlets have an earth pin, others do not. According to NF C 15-100, the French electrical regulations state that earthing is mandatory for new buildings but not for old ones.

Today I tried to plug the power strip into one of the grounded outlets in the apartment (in the kitchen), but it didn't solve the problem. For this test, I also turned off all the switches on the circuit breaker except for the one in the kitchen.
I also checked the outlet to be sure it is effectively grounded. It is is connected with 3 wires :
  • one red, : the +
  • one blue, the -
  • one green and yellow : the ground
The earth wire is present on the plug but I'm not 100% sure it's actually effective... I've read that I should use an earth tester to check that the resistance between phase and earth is less than 100ohm. I am thinking about buying one of those to be sure the outlet in the ktichen is effectivly grounded to validate whether the test above is valid or not.

You don't get the noise on the Focal speakers only the Yamaha speakers?
I tried again today with the Focals. With the focal the noise is more a hum than a hiss. I attached a recording of both to let you compare.

Have you tried using USB from the computer on a different bank of sockets?
Yes, I unplugged all the USB devices and tried every USB socket, same problem.

Attachments

• hiss and hum on hs5 vs focal alpha .zip
    478.8 KB · Views: 16

Dacsalamanca

Hola,
Tengo un problema de silbido proveniente de los parlantes con mi configuración actual que uso para producción musical (grabación de guitarra y voz), escucha música y llamadas. Creo que se debe a una fuga de alimentación del USB pero me gustaría que los expertos me lo confirmen.:)
El archivo adjunto es una grabación del silbido con un teléfono inteligente a ~5 cm del altavoz a un volumen de escucha normal.

Contexto :
Mi configuración es: Computadora (descripción aquí ) -> Focusrite 2i4 2nd GEN (usando los últimos controladores ASIO) -> Yamaha HS5 y Sennheiser H560s.

No escucho el silbido con los HD560 conectados a la salida de auriculares. Sólo con los monitores.
Todos mis equipos eléctricos (tanto monitores como computadora, pantalla) están conectados al mismo interruptor de alimentación. Ninguna de las tomas de corriente de la habitación tiene conexión a tierra.

Pruebas :
  • Cambiar cable USB -> Mismo problema
  • Desconecté todos los dispositivos USB excepto Focusrite -> sin cambios
  • desconectar la tarjeta de sonido -> no más silbido
  • Cambiar la frecuencia de muestreo y el tamaño del búfer en la configuración de focusrite cuando se inició ableton -> sin cambios
  • Aumentar la frecuencia de muestreo o disminuir el tamaño del búfer cuando Ableton Live está activado -> el sonido se vuelve más agudo
  • Pruebe con mi vieja computadora portátil con batería -> no más problemas
  • Uso elevado de la tarjeta gráfica (punto de referencia de brujas probado) -> causa peculiaridades

Preguntas :

¿Crees que mi suposición es correcta?

Si es así, parece que una solución podría ser un aislador USB. Sin embargo, el "Topping HS1" cuesta actualmente 70 €, el "Hifime High-Speed USB Isolator v2" y compré la tarjeta de sonido por 100 €, así que me pregunto si realmente tiene sentido... Existen alternativas más baratas (10 €) como esta . pero parece que también introducen sus propios problemas. Javier usó esta solución para un DAC, sin embargo, me pregunto si afectará la grabación/latencia con la interfaz.

Como escribió Amir sobre el Mod i, "los DAC mejor diseñados no tienen ese problema". Entonces, ¿tal vez debería vender Focusrite y probar con otra interfaz?

Muchas gracias por su ayuda
hello everyone: The solution is easier than all that.... First of all, my solution only works with DACs not powered by USB power. Tested with Volumio installed on PC. You just have to remove the power pins of the USB connector (right and left ends) with some strips of insulating tape. canceling the passage of unnecessary and noisy current. luck . I recommend using 3m electrical tape to avoid problems with poor quality adhesive

Attachments

• IMG_7859.jpeg
    IMG_7859.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 19

sam_adams

Major Contributor
hello everyone: The solution is easier than all that

That's pretty pointless as the shield of the cable, the metal that surrounds the connector and is connected through the cables's shield conductor, connects the "grounds" of any two devices connected with the cable. Insulating the 'ground' pin of the power pair may also cause problems with device insertion detection.

Dacsalamanca

Hello Sam. That is true, and my solution may not always work, but in my case it works and has eliminated the problem. maybe more people too

Top Bottom