• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stand for Genelec 8361

_AixiA_

Hi All,

I have just ordered a pair of Genelec 8361 in white and they will arrive shortly. I'm now looking for the right stands.

In my listening position, my ears will be at 85 cm (armchair) from the floor, but it is possible that I will eventually move to 108 cm (sofa).
  1. Which point of the speaker should correspond to the height of my ears in order to choose the right height of the stands ?
  2. Is it necessary/preferable to incline the speakers (note: I intend to keep the Iso-Pods)? What angle? Note: hard/wooden floor between me and the speakers (no carpet for the moment) and listening distance of 3 meters in a room which is 5m deep - 3m to speakers perpendicularly to front wall, and 2m behind - 4.2m wide and 2.7m high)
  3. What should be the size of the top plate on which will rest the Genelec 8361 with its Iso-Pod?
I'm not impressed with the Genelec stands, and looking for suppliers where I live (border between France and Germany).

Some references to start with below, but I am also interested in your proposals:

Thanks in advance,

Nick

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The top plate needs to be at least 23cm x 26cm for the isopod. I ended up building my own stands (55cm high).

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
I Use Liedke Reference X One stands with genelec isopod plates. The (genelec) plates need to modified with a countersink for the central mounting bore of the genelec plate. These plates are expensive but the result ist perfect. Height of the stand is completely to your spec. My stands with original plates are 550 mm. I did not fill the columns, will possibly do this some time in the future. No real need to do so, though.

I replaced the spikes with heavy dutygliders.

20220109_122417.jpg

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
As to your basic questions:

- Tweeter should level with your ears (as this is the center of the speaker)
- I got best results close to the front wall + some absorbers on the front wall (added after taking picture above)
- You need some kind of carpet on the floor. A cheap long floor from Ikea will do
(- You will want to buy and use GLM)

My original Liedtke top plates where standard size 230 by 340 mm. The supported both Adam SV3 and the 8361a with isopods.

Last edited:
OP
A

_AixiA_

As to your basic questions:

- Tweeter should level with your ears (as this is the center of the speaker)
- I got best results close to the front wall + some absorbers on the front wall (added after taking picture above)
- You need some kind of carpet on the floor. A cheap long floor from Ikea will do
(- You will want to buy and use GLM)

My original Liedtke top plates where standard size 230 by 340 mm. The supported both Adam SV3 and the 8361a with isopods.
Hi Joachim,

Thanks for your feedback. Adding a simple carpet should be possible. The speakers will come with GLM, and I plan on placing them close to the minimum clearance of 5-10cm to the front wall (to be adjusted through measurements).

1/ Was the modification of the base plates done by Liedtke upon ordering the stands or by you?

2/ In terms of height of the stands, I found the height of the acoustic axis on Genelec's documentation at 307mm. For a listening position at 850mm from the floor (1080mm respectively), stands should be then 543mm high (773mm respectively). To be versatile, should I them go with a height of 750mm, and point the speakers down if listening at the lower position (by about -5º) ? Or will all that be absorbed in the directivity of the speakers?

RobL

Forum Donor
The Genelec base plate looks like this:
C1239729-E9BA-4A48-9A3F-362BCB2C455C.jpeg
I got one for a pattern on ebay for $40, but new they are around $150 each. You should be able to swap it out on the stands yourself with minor modification. I kept my stands lower due to weight (70 lbs) of the monitors, but you could angle the monitors down to the LP without an issue I would think.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
It's heavy lifting indeed,and those speakers are not well balanced.

I had the baseplates modded by a friend with a well equipped workshop. If you send them to Liedtke will do it.

You may want to experiment with vertical angle, though I wouldn't place the center of the speaker lower than 85 cm.

OP
A

_AixiA_

It's heavy lifting indeed,and those speakers are not well balanced.

I had the baseplates modded by a friend with a well equipped workshop. If you send them to Liedtke will do it.

You may want to experiment with vertical angle, though I wouldn't place the center of the speaker lower than 85 cm.
Hi Joachim, Did you mean higher than 85 cm (for stability reasons) or indeed, lower than 85 cm ?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Ultimate MS-90 would work really well with 8361s. I have them with all my surround speakers which are not as big as the 8361s but the MS-90 plate is 10.5" x 10.5" so plenty support for the big 8361. The MS-90 can be filled with sand or shot and it supports up to 75 lbs.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Hi Joachim, Did you mean higher than 85 cm (for stability reasons) or indeed, lower than 85 cm ?
Place the center not less than 85 cm from ground.

Jimshoe

I Use Liedke Reference X One stands with genelec isopod plates. The (genelec) plates need to modified with a countersink for the central mounting bore of the genelec plate. These plates are expensive but the result ist perfect. Height of the stand is completely to your spec. My stands with original plates are 550 mm. I did not fill the columns, will possibly do this some time in the future. No real need to do so, though.

I replaced the spikes with heavy dutygliders.

View attachment 247966
Nice!

I had a similar approach with mine:

Genelec 8361 Stands.jpg

Purchased two top plates from Genelec and sprayed them white. These were then added to stands I had previously made for the speakers with square top plates (that looked all wrong).

I have spikes to add (to the holes in the base plate) but have not done so yet as I am still messing about with location (and am not convinved spikes make much difference).

Doug

bodhi

Forum Donor
Nice!

I had a similar approach with mine:

View attachment 262478

Purchased two top plates from Genelec and sprayed them white. These were then added to stands I had previously made for the speakers with square top plates (that looked all wrong).

I have spikes to add (to the holes in the base plate) but have not done so yet as I am still messing about with location (and am not convinved spikes make much difference).

Doug

Very nice! Even though the speaker is kind of huge it blends very nicely to the surroundings, I don't think WAF would be a problem in most of households.

Jimshoe

Very nice! Even though the speaker is kind of huge it blends very nicely to the surroundings, I don't think WAF would be a problem in most of households.
Yes, it is quite the heaviest, most awkward speaker I have ever handled.

My previous picture kinda made the speaker loom towards you . . this one gives a better perspective (and I have now fitted the spikes!)

Attachments

• Genelec Stands 2.jpg
    Genelec Stands 2.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 383
Top Bottom