• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stand for Genelec 8361

Has anyone ever tried these stands?

I'm a game developer and was thinking of buying a pair of Genelec 8361's so I can hear small details in dialogue/music/sfx.
I work at a standing desk so I was thinking maybe I could make the stands move as I stand and sit too.

Any other recs?

Last edited:

HQY

Zooqu1ko

[...]
I'm a game developer and was thinking of buying a pair of Genelec 8061's so I can hear small details in dialogue/music/sfx.
I work at a standing desk so I was thinking maybe I could make the stands move as I stand and sit too.

Any other recs?
Assuming you're referring to 8361s - Maybe get a pair of 8351s, put them on the matching Genelc L-Shaped desk stands, get a matching Genelec sub (and leave it on the ground), and maybe a miniDSP DDRC-22D for room correction using Dirac. The latter will allow you to easily switch the correction between different measurements taken at different desk heights, and possibly with different target curves.

If your target is hearing small details, maybe try a pair of STAX headphones (and if you're going surround or Atmos, consider a Smyth Realizer to go along with it).

Oh yes! So sorry, I seem to be mixing up letters and numbers a lot today. I meant the 8361s.

Thanks for your suggestions! I have concerns about using headphones in the long run because my family has a predisposition towards sudden sensorineural hearing loss. I know headphones and SSHL are not related, but I get paranoid about headphones vis-a-vis hearing loss in general. I also listen to music basically all day while I'm working so I just want to make sure I pick something "sustainable".

I'll check out your recs!

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming you're referring to 8361s - Maybe get a pair of 8351s, put them on the matching Genelc L-Shaped desk stands, get a matching Genelec sub (and leave it on the ground), and maybe a miniDSP DDRC-22D for room correction using Dirac. The latter will allow you to easily switch the correction between different measurements taken at different desk heights, and possibly with different target curves.

If your target is hearing small details, maybe try a pair of STAX headphones (and if you're going surround or Atmos, consider a Smyth Realizer to go along with it).
+1 to 8351 for stated use case. For game sounds the sub might be required anyway and you cannot really utilize what 8361 brings to the table (sic) sitting right next to it, compared to it's smaller brother.

As for details, I'm still often surprised how much detail I can get from pair of 8350s compared to almost any headphone I have. And with very modest volumes. Sometimes it seems that the speakers almost reveal more. So I don't think you miss much by going with the even better The Ones.

Interesting, so you mean the 8351's easier to use since it's smaller and you can sit closer to it?

I'd looked at those W371's, but they're so pricy I couldn't justify it. Maybe I'll take a look at their subwoofers instead, thanks for the rec!

Zooqu1ko

Interesting, so you mean the 8351's easier to use since it's smaller and you can sit closer to it?

I'd looked at those W371's, but they're so pricy I couldn't justify it. Maybe I'll take a look at their subwoofers instead, thanks for the rec!
If you were interested in the W371 due to their directivity, the Kii Three might be an alternative. Since you're apparently concerned about potential hearing loss, maybe smaller speakers and more room treatment.

Top Bottom