• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stand alone audio interface

Trell

Major Contributor
Sorry I was meaning: does direct monitoring work if audio interface is not connected to PC/MAC but, of course, is powered with external power supply?

That's not clear from the link given above. I just tested my MOTU M2 and that one works with the PC in sleep mode (so even an external power supply should work), and likely that'll be the case for the M4 as well.

Edit: Just tested the M2 with an external power supply and the "direct monitoring" works.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Sorry I was meaning: does direct monitoring work if audio interface is not connected to PC/MAC but, of course, is powered with external power supply?

hard to say with certainty, but in theory yes. think of the interface as a separate computer, the PC only changes its internal settings....which are not lost while turning it offf, so they should be present while not USB conected but suplied with 5V externaly

digitallysane

What do you think about ESI U86XT audio interface? It seems that can work in standalone mode, but I can't understand if it needs to be configured via computer every time I need it....
Hm, I have no experience with those. And it doesn't seem clear to me, from the manual, that it would work in stand-alone mode...

OP
G

guidocir

Hm, I have no experience with those. And it doesn't seem clear to me, from the manual, that it would work in stand-alone mode...
This is the support answer (not fully clear)

The ESI U86XT can normally (officially) not used as standalone device only as USB interface but….after the U86XT has been recognized by the PC or Mac the computer can be switched off and the inputs (mic, Hi-Z…) can continue be monitoring over the Mixout and headphone out.

In Standalone, works only the monitoring section, the signal from input 1-.. goes to the Mixout or headphone out thru the mixer section, nothing else.

Please note...the standalone function will not works correct only to switch power ON of the U86XT, it has to have a PC or Mac communication first, before can be used without the PC or Mac

dasdoing

Major Contributor
This is the support answer (not fully clear)

The ESI U86XT can normally (officially) not used as standalone device only as USB interface but….after the U86XT has been recognized by the PC or Mac the computer can be switched off and the inputs (mic, Hi-Z…) can continue be monitoring over the Mixout and headphone out.

In Standalone, works only the monitoring section, the signal from input 1-.. goes to the Mixout or headphone out thru the mixer section, nothing else.

Please note...the standalone function will not works correct only to switch power ON of the U86XT, it has to have a PC or Mac communication first, before can be used without the PC or Mac

it is clear. you can't switch it on without a PC and use it standalone. to me this is hard to understand. even more since this seams to be a more "advanced" interface. Do they do it on purpose?

OP
G

guidocir

it is clear. you can't switch it on without a PC and use it standalone. to me this is hard to understand. even more since this seams to be a more "advanced" interface. Do they do it on purpose?
An interface without the possibility to switch in standalone mode without the PC connection doesn't make sense.
But most of them do it.

unpluggged

An interface without the possibility to switch in standalone mode without the PC connection doesn't make sense.
But most of them do it.
The term "audio interface" itself by definition means a device whose main function is inputting and outputting audio signals to and from a computer system. So no, standalone operation is not an obligatory feature for audio interfaces, and when they have it, it's an add-on mode.

There are other classes of audio devices that do not require a computer for their operation, such as mixers, converters, preamps, processors, and so on (some of which can be interfaced with a computer, but this is not their main feature). You might want to determine which are the functions that you require from such a device and then make your choice accordingly.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
But most of them do it.

they probably need the driver to set the sample rate. very stupid design. as mentioned, the Motus at least are better designed

dasdoing

Major Contributor
The term "audio interface" itself by definition means a device whose main function is inputting and outputting audio signals to and from a computer system. So no, standalone operation is not an obligatory feature for audio interfaces, and when they have it, it's an add-on mode.

There are other classes of audio devices that do not require a computer for their operation, such as mixers, converters, preamps, processors, and so on (some of which can be interfaced with a computer, but this is not their main feature). You might want to determine which are the functions that you require from such a device and then make your choice accordingly.

it is stupid design though. they should be able to set their internal clock without a PC. the ancient M-Audio begginer interface I showed above has a small switch for sample rate at the bottom

OP
G

guidocir

News from Focusrite support:

The Scarlett will always power on using the most recent settings, so whatever snapshot was loaded last. So if you were using it with your keyboards and turn everything off and then power back on, it will still be routed for your keyboards. There is no way to swap snapshots without turning on the computer or have it swap automatically once a computer is plugged in.

The other solution is to have a single custom mix that includes your inputs and your DAW playback, so you could swap setups and get both the direct monitor and the sound from your DAW without swapping routings at all

Top Bottom