• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I normally drink my bourbon neat but I had a buddy from work that passed away and he liked Bourbon and Apple Juice so I had to follow through with a virtual drink with another coworker

salud my friend
E042BB4A-9ADE-493E-961C-3D5FB5BA28C8.jpeg

ripvw

Forum Donor
not something to drink but something to put it in:

https://www.novascotiancrystal.com/about-us/about-novascotian-crystal.html

When Waterford shut down in Ireland and they moved the production to the Czech Republic, some of the Irish master glass blowers left for Nova Scotia and they started Nova Scotian Crystal. I bought my father-in-law a Seafarer's Rum glass because he was in the Merchant Marine in WWII. If you are ever in Halifax in the late afternoon visit their shop when the sun is hitting the windows - glass on fire...

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I normally drink my bourbon neat but I had a buddy from work that passed away and he liked Bourbon and Apple Juice so I had to follow through with a virtual drink with another coworker

salud my friend View attachment 78554
Very nice old style Weller 12 bottle. How did you acquire that?

superczar

superczar

View attachment 78513

A bottle from an uncle a few years back.

In other news, the duty-free stores at the airport have been throwing out whiskey with deep discounts (discounted and with taxes absorbed). Can't believe I slept on some really good bottlings. The only stuff that interests me now are a couple of cask strength Edradours and Caperdonichs. There's also some cheap Ardbegs, Balvenies and Laphroaigs. My inclination is to get either of the first two because the rest can still be found later elsewhere. Laphroaig 10 in particular has been almost half off for a month, and they are still restocking. Yamazakis have also been the cheapest they have been in years - good riddance to the flippers.

My bigger worry is that with travel being the way it is, I am soon going to run out of whisky stock ..
and Imported alcohol is ridiculously overtaxed where I live :-|

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My bigger worry is that with travel being the way it is, I am soon going to run out of whisky stock ..
Purchase local stuff. I always support my local brewers and spirit producers.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yeah, you guys have Amrut in India, which by all accounts is spectacularly good (still on my list to try). The Spectrum series in particular.

superczar

Yeah, you guys have Amrut in India, which by all accounts is spectacularly good (still on my list to try). The Spectrum series in particular.
Try the peated variant if you can find it..
The regular is good but not spectacularly so.. If I had to put em on a liquor shelf, It would probably sit next to a Glenfiddich 12
The peated - perhaps with a Laphroaig 10 or a tad above it
I would still put Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg 10 on the top after these two

Of course.. When it comes to most drinks (say beer.. or rum), i always buy local.
Unfortunately not much of a local selection here when it comes to whisky - although that's thankfully been changing over the last few years..
Beer too was a similar story - but there has been an explosion of great local options over the last decade, esp in the craft beer segment...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I drink this by the litre all the time. It's made a 3 hour drive away and tastes great as a plussy it gets me relaxed and sometimes juiced too. :D It's named after a long ago princess called Alberta. What's not to like...lol :D>
alberta-premium-rye-whisky-1877aa96768726ba.jpeg

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This one is so under rated - a pretty nice drink esp for the price!
It seems like Bunnahabhain has been discovered over the last few years, prices have been creeping up, annoyingly. It is lovely stuff.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1st in a series, no prizes for guessing what's next.
new3%2Bw%2Bbox.jpeg

Similar to calvados, but different, in the same was English cider is different from french cidre, which is not surprising.
This has a strong fresh apple juice, and cider mix on nose and taste buds, but it oddly does not linger at all, in fact it's like a mute being unexpectedly pressed mid song, the flavour vanishes alarmingly quickly, the young alcohol then takes over. Overall I quite like it, but I won't be buying again, it might make a nice mixer, if I had any idea what to mix it with.

superczar

I tried some of those a while back. Pretty good, as I recall.
View attachment 78590
The one in the centre looks pretty damn dark!
Really curious to see what that's about
I am going to try see if i can find one in the neighbourhood store

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It seems like Bunnahabhain has been discovered over the last few years, prices have been creeping up, annoyingly. It is lovely stuff.
This always happens. I started drinking Plymouth Gin when it was $17 a bottle, now it’s $35. I used to get Buffalo Trace bourbon for $20 a bottle, now it’s hard to find and $30-35. Elmer T. Lee bourbon was my “special occasion” whiskey for $35, but I haven’t seen a bottle for sale for years and the guy at the local liquor store said it would be $150 if he had one to sell.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This always happens. I started drinking Plymouth Gin when it was $17 a bottle, now it’s $35. I used to get Buffalo Trace bourbon for $20 a bottle, now it’s hard to find and $30-35. Elmer T. Lee bourbon was my “special occasion” whiskey for $35, but I haven’t seen a bottle for sale for years and the guy at the local liquor store said it would be $150 if he had one to sell.
You would think there would be things going the opposite direction, as they fall out of favour, but I've never spotted one.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You would think there would be things going the opposite direction, as they fall out of favour, but I've never spotted one.
You’re right about that. I can get Knob Creek bourbon for $5 less than a few years ago, but that’s the only one I can think of.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1598074414077.png

Ex-red wine single cask peated Croftengea 12 that was bottled at cask strength (55.7%) by my school's alumni association. It's from the same cask as this bottling by The Single Cask. Way too much cheese, cow funk and dirty grass sort of peat the last time I drank it neat, but I gave it another chance after letting it open up. Very nice, both neat and with half a teaspoon of water after giving it some time. Water brings out passionfruit sweetness, gentle wine tannins and a hint of maritime smoke and minerality, while subduing the bovine notes. Now it feels like a cheese platter with brie, blue cheese and parmesan. Very, very nice example of peat but not to my taste with the domination of bovine notes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom