• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

sphere shaped speakers

rokr

I've been asked to build sphere shaped speakers (passive). I did some research and found out that some consider this shape as the worst and some thinks it’s the best… anyway, I decides to move on with this project knowing that this one won't win any audiophile awards but hopefully will look good and have a decent sound.

I also found that one of the easiest ways to create a sphere is using Ikea's bamboo salad bowls (I was initially thinking of using concrete), but I couldn't find plans for it.

So, I'm going to have a 27cm inner diameter, about 9 liters internal volume sphere.

A full range driver seems like the obvious choice (I know about the disadvantages of this type of driver).

So, my questions are, are there specific drivers (3.5-4") you recommend for this project, about up to 100$ for pair (I was thinking about Mark audio chr70, or dyton audio rs100) ? Should it be sealed or ported?

Any information will be appreciated.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I also found that one of the easiest ways to create a sphere is using Ikea's bamboo salad bowls (I was initially thinking of using concrete), but I couldn't find plans for it.
There are a few projects out there:

Drivers from Markaudio can be nice, FaitalPro 3 and 4" drivers, Scanspeak 10F... a few more

Here are some of them tested: https://www.dibirama.altervista.org/le-prove/full-range.html

OP
R

rokr

There are a few projects out there:

Drivers from Markaudio can be nice, FaitalPro 3 and 4" drivers, Scanspeak 10F... a few more

Here are some of them tested: https://www.dibirama.altervista.org/le-prove/full-range.html
Thanks. There are no actual plans, but some good information.
Looking at the drivers web-site measurements, seems like the manufacturers are having difficulties with measuring their own drivers...

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been asked to build sphere shaped speakers (passive). I did some research and found out that some consider this shape as the worst and some thinks it’s the best… anyway, I decides to move on with this project knowing that this one won't win any audiophile awards but hopefully will look good and have a decent sound.
It seems this is a perfect project for 3D printing. You can build a 3D model of almost any size desired with internal bracing, speaker and crossover mounting bosses, and every feature you need. If you use a commercial service instead of the inexpensive home DIY printers, you can even choose your material to give you an inert nonresonant shell. Proto Labs offers an impressive array of material options to choose from.

Edit: As a former professional prototyper I was focused on the "how to" side of the problem. In re-reading your original post I now noticed your asking for $100 pair driver recommendations. Based on that I guess you have an extremely limited budget so you will likely need to stick with IKEA salad bowls. The Photo Labs solution will allow you to develop a next level spherical loudspeaker, but not at an "Amazon Basics" price level.

Last edited:
OP
R

rokr

Spherical outside, cylindrical inside perhaps? Like these.
This is interesting, i can cut a cylinder out from a dense sponge ball which is slightly bigger then the internal sphere and use the the ball as dampening and the hole as a cylinder.
The pressure will give a little bracing, the sponge will give dampening and the cylinder shape is better then the sphere.
Making a wood cylinder to match the spheres contour is way over my woodworking skills.

Last edited:
OP
R

rokr

It seems this is a perfect project for 3D printing. You can build a 3D model of almost any size desired with internal bracing, speaker and crossover mounting bosses, and every feature you need. If you use a commercial service instead of the inexpensive home DIY printers, you can even choose your material to give you an insert nonresonant shell. Proto Labs offers an impressive array of material options to choose from.

Edit: As a former professional prototyper I was focused on the "how to" side of the problem. In re-reading your original post I now noticed your asking for $100 pair driver recommendations. Based on that I guess you have an extremely limited budget so you will likely need to stick with IKEA salad bowls. The Photo Labs solution will allow you to develop a next level spherical loudspeaker, but not at an "Amazon Basics" price level.
While a printed speaker could definitely be better, it will be a lot harder to design (tinkercad is as far as I've gone in 3d design...), a lot more expensive, and will never be as beautiful as real bamboo.
6c1ac5033f1eb61f0c7b76f3f9b62cf2.jpg

jaakkopetteri

I would try a coaxial driver instead of a full-ranger - we're on ASR, after all :)
The budget is rather restricting (quite impossible if crossovers are accounted for) but the SB Acoustics SB12PFCR25-4-COAX gets pretty close

ppataki

Major Contributor

So, I'm going to have a 27cm inner diameter, about 9 liters internal volume sphere.

A full range driver seems like the obvious choice (I know about the disadvantages of this type of driver).

So, my questions are, are there specific drivers (3.5-4") you recommend for this project, about up to 100$ for pair (I was thinking about Mark audio chr70, or dyton audio rs100) ? Should it be sealed or ported?

Any information will be appreciated.

I would use a Markaudio CHN110 driver - it sounds great even without serious DSP (not sure if you will have DSP capability)
In a 9 liter well-stuffed sealed box it will have a Qtc value of 0.6 and will produce 89dB SPL at 1 meter at 30Hz (95dB for two + room gain) with 55W max power (xmax limited)

OP
R

rokr

I would try a coaxial driver instead of a full-ranger - we're on ASR, after all :)
The budget is rather restricting (quite impossible if crossovers are accounted for) but the SB Acoustics SB12PFCR25-4-COAX gets pretty close
We definitely don't want to get Amir angry especially after the Towelgate :facepalm:
I was thinking about a coaxial and after building Neil Blanchard's MLTL6 speakers I really like SB acoustics, so it's a great idea.
As a speaker that puts looks as a priority, I wish coaxial drivers would look as cool as point source (Kef did it).

OP
R

rokr

I would use a Markaudio CHN110 driver - it sounds great even without serious DSP (not sure if you will have DSP capability)
In a 9 liter well-stuffed sealed box it will have a Qtc value of 0.6 and will produce 89dB SPL at 1 meter at 30Hz (95dB for two + room gain) with 55W max power (xmax limited)
You're right and they are actually cheaper in some places then the chr70.
I saw this guy using the Alpair 7 in his sphere speaker, but its an overkill for this project.

OP
R

rokr

Right, I guess you're referring to the phase plug? Coaxials are a point source too :)
For some reason those phase plug drivers are always referred as point source drivers while coax as coaxial drivers, but yeah, both radiate from one center point, I guess.

Top Bottom