• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Testing: why mono is better

tuga

Major Contributor
Dolby Atmos music mix, usually higher DR rate than stereo mix, even down to two channel. Many people here are begging the market to do it so.

My comment was in the context of single-speaker evaluation. More channels are potentially better than mono.

Art of sound

Are you seriously questioning the research done by @Floyd Toole and Harman?

I highly recommend you watch this in detail;

If you have a more technical reason for this stance rather than a one liner, please share it.

JSmith
I watched it before starting his book. apparently he was a contractor until 2006. This video is from 2015? he did what he could for the industry and i am very pleased with his reasoning skills that is exemplified in the video and his book.

i rescind that statement. because i just checked the jbl pro product brochures and they do have bandwidth vs frequency and DI graphs. I am happy that these are being published. I hope this becomes more standard and not just in the pro market. This has been practically simplified by toole in his presentation. That's more than enough data for most people if someone ever makes a score based on these points and averages them like how consumer reports do for their cars.

[I got the stage A130 after amir's data on smooth DI and his subjective 7.4 w subwoofer which trumped everything in that price range and i am happy with them. since then, erin has measured them and they have a bunch of issues and i can't recommend them. if a consumer asks me what to buy and mentions bose as an example i can't recommend a speaker under 500 as well as a reasonable 2.1 channel amplifier and it just makes me sad]
until that point arrives, i am going to recommend the sonos brand.

1648307771201.png

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
I watched it before starting his book. apparently he was a contractor until 2006. This video is from 2015? he did what he could for the industry and i am very pleased with his reasoning skills that is exemplified in the video and his book.

i rescind that statement. because i just checked the jbl pro product brochures and they do have bandwidth vs frequency and DI graphs. I am happy that these are being published. I hope this becomes more standard and not just in the pro market. This has been practically simplified by toole in his presentation. That's more than enough data for most people if someone ever makes a score based on these points and averages them like how consumer reports do for their cars.

[I got the stage A130 after amir's data on smooth DI and his subjective 7.4 w subwoofer which trumped everything in that price range and i am happy with them. since then, erin has measured them and they have a bunch of issues and i can't recommend them. if a consumer asks me what to buy and mentions bose as an example i can't recommend a speaker under 500 as well as a reasonable 2.1 channel amplifier and it just makes me sad]
until that point arrives, i am going to recommend the sonos brand.

View attachment 195417

What do you mean by "fine details"?
Are you referring to more detail (less smoothing) in the frequency response plot?
Because a frequency response correlates first and foremost with tonal balance, not "detail".
It is misguided to believe that a frequency response plot, or even a Spinorama, will provide sufficient information to characterise the performance of a loudspeaker.

Art of sound

What do you mean by "fine details"?
Are you referring to more detail (less smoothing) in the frequency response plot?
Because a frequency response correlates first and foremost with tonal balance, not "detail".
It is misguided to believe that a frequency response plot, or even a Spinorama, will provide sufficient information to characterise the performance of a loudspeaker.
Not sure. 1/20 octave indicated more detail in listeners preferences?
Loudspeaker preferences do correlate to the harman curve. although there is missing or non measurable data at the moment on why?
That's what i took away.

human perception is still a mystery on the larger front.
i can detect a room temperature when it crosses 73-74F @50-60RH as it becomes uneasy for me.
I looked up and noticed that the TRPV4 sensor is not tied to skin and its range starts at 80F. does that mean we are yet to find this in the gene pool or the data is more variable than measured and my CNS is very sensitive as well. i don't know but i am curious

mmuetst

@amirm Thanks for the clear explanation. Is there a playlist of music more suitable for performing the test in mono?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
@amirm Thanks for the clear explanation. Is there a playlist of music more suitable for performing the test in mono?
I am not Amir obviously.

But this might get you going

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I post my playlist here but can't find it myself. :) maybe someone else has it.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Jazzowiec

Forum Donor
I discovered the stereo trap about eight years ago. I realized that "the beauty of stereo" fools my ears and steals my attention, so that my focus is unknowingly shifted to how it sounds instead of what and how is being played. Since then, I have only listened downmixed to mono. I only have stereo in headphones and even this using binaural DSP.

Many of those I know do the same. Most are musicians or former musicians. The crowd of people who go back to mono for everyday listening is growing all the time.

Last edited:

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Left speaker is measure in stereo triangle position with minidsp ears measure head. my speakers are rotate 30 degreee inside in test to point to measure head. not easy to explain. maybe this help to understand http://www.hifi-forum.de/bild/wsstereo-stereodreieck_17080.html

for speaker in middle measure i rotate the minidsp ears measure head around 30 degree so the auricle ear is in 90 degree angle straight to tweeter and measure left speaker. distance stay same the auricle or outer ear (dont know best english word for this) have same distance and position and only diffrent angle to speaker.

there can see above 1.3 khz there is no high boost. seem that the target curves that are suggest for reduce high freq are only need for stereo triangle. I also test rotate the speaker outside or inside with same measure head angle. this do not change the results. I expect diffrence too, so i do the tests repeat several times results stay same

speaker diffrence.jpg

this is also important to know, because i always wonder in the past wy my speakers sound always so much diffrent to my marshal guitar amp mono speaker(when i measure and correct to be same linear from usable range of a guitar speaker).

The target curves the audio experts suggest help only a little because as can see in the measure there is no rising soft slope. it increase suddenly at 1.5 khz aroud 2.5 db and this stay until 9 khz around 2.5 db

maybe when use the correct auricle compensation for stereo triangle as target curve then stereo can sound better even with omnidirectional room correction measurements

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wonder in the 20+ years since Harman has this lab, have they done a comparison between mono and stereo test? It seems perfect for it. Hmmm....
The did one better. They tested from mono all the way to 5 channels:
Comparison of Loudspeaker-Room Equalization Preference for Multichannel, Stereo, and Mono Reproductions: Are Listeners More Discriminating in Mono?
Sean E. Olive1 , Sean M. Hess1 , and Allan Devantier1 1 Harman International, Northridge, CA, 91329, USA

"In this experiment, a panel of trained listeners gave comparative preference ratings for three different loudspeaker equalizations based on anechoic and in situ measurements evaluated in a semi-reflective room, using three multichannel music recordings reproduced in surround, stereo, and mono. These equalizations were compared to the unequalized loudspeaker. The results are summarized as follows: all three equalizations were equally preferred over the unequalized system. The differences in preference ratings increased as the number of playback channels was reduced from 5 channels (surround) to 1 (mono)."

1689964886769.png

Look at how much worse the "No EQ" rates were in mono (blue) vs stereo (red) vs surround (black).

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Comparison of Loudspeaker-Room Equalization Preference for Multichannel, Stereo, and Mono Reproductions: Are Listeners More Discriminating in Mono?
Sean E. Olive1 , Sean M. Hess1 , and Allan Devantier1 1 Harman International, Northridge, CA, 91329, USA

"In this experiment, a panel of trained listeners gave comparative preference ratings for three different loudspeaker equalizations based on anechoic and in situ measurements evaluated in a semi-reflective room, using three multichannel music recordings reproduced in surround, stereo, and mono. These equalizations were compared to the unequalized loudspeaker. The results are summarized as follows: all three equalizations were equally preferred over the unequalized system. The differences in preference ratings increased as the number of playback channels was reduced from 5 channels (surround) to 1 (mono)."

Full JAES library ref is here

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 300608

Look at how much worse the "No EQ" rates were in mono (blue) vs stereo (red) vs surround (black).
When you say mono vs stereo, do you mean 1 speaker playing in mono rather than 2 speakers playing stereo then the same 2 speakers playing mono? I think the latter would be an interesting comparison too if that was not the case!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
When you say mono vs stereo, do you mean 1 speaker playing in mono rather than 2 speakers playing stereo then the same 2 speakers playing mono? I think the latter would be an interesting comparison too if that was not the case!
The Harman preference tests involved 1 speaker playing (in mono) for the good reason stated above.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
View attachment 300608

Yes, the suckage of "No EQ" in mono really stands out, showing that, in mono, the ear is especially sensitive to the kinds of errors EQ can correct.

Another take-away is that surround is almost immune to the kinds of errors EQ corrects, as the preference ratings for surround are almost the same for all four EQ (or non-EQ) cases. Of course none of this is really "new information" to those who follow this site, but that graph makes the point very... um... graphically.

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the suckage of "No EQ" in mono really stands out, showing that, in mono, the ear is especially sensitive to the kinds of errors EQ can correct.

Another take-away is that surround is almost immune to the kinds of errors EQ corrects, as the preference ratings for surround are almost the same for all four EQ (or non-EQ) cases. Of course none of this is really "new information" to those who follow this site, but that graph makes the point very... um... graphically.
And yet, there is a huge timbre difference when listening to a mono pink noise signal from a mono speaker vs. the same mono signal from stereo speaker

I am looking for a controlled experiment where the listeners have used EQ to adjust the stereo setup being as close to the mono speaker setup. Is there such?

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
And yet, there is a huge timbre difference when listening to a mono pink noise signal from a mono speaker vs. the same mono signal from stereo speaker
Perhaps, at short wavelengths, the outputs of the stereo speakers combine at the listening position in semi-random phase, and then as the wavelengths get longer (as we go down in frequency) the outputs of the stereo speakers gradually transition to combining approximately in-phase, thus "warming up" the perceived timbre relative to the mono case.

I question the ability of mono listening to adequately evaluate spatial quality, but forty years ago as an enthusiastic amateur I observed that ears-only crossover design (I had no test equipment) arrived at better and faster results using mono rather than stereo evaluation.

Last edited:

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Perhaps, at short wavelengths, the outputs of the stereo speakers combine at the listening position in semi-random phase, and then as the wavelengths get longer (as we go down in frequency) the outputs of the stereo speakers gradually transition to combining approximately in-phase, thus "warming up" the perceived timbre relative to the mono case.

I question the ability of mono listening to adequately evaluate spatial quality, but forty years ago as an enthusiastic amateur I observed that ears-only crossover design (I had no test equipment) arrived at better and faster results using mono rather than stereo evaluation.
Horizontal angle from head to speaker also affect perceived tonality, because ears also have directivity, like speakers and mics. Just listen to pink noise, then rotate head say 30 degrees, frequency response clearly changes. So a stereo speaker at L or R position, typically 30 degrees, will not sound the same as a center speaker at 0 degrees right in front.

Top Bottom