• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Sensitivity and Power

aHaidc

Hello,
I just read the measurements which were measured by stereo.de of the Dynaudio Confidence 30 and 50. I don't understand why both speakers are measured 87db of sensitivity, and both have 3.5 ohm min impedance but The Dynaudio Confidence 30 needs 5.8W to reach 94db. While the Dynaudio Confidence 50 needs 25W to reach the same 94db?

OP
A

aHaidc

Perhaps there has been a misprint. Jim
I read the measurements on that stereo.de website and many of the 87db sensitivity speakers had vary needed power (watt) to reach 94db loudness. Quite strange? You meant they misprinted many times for most of their measurements?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One reason would be that they use different frequency bands or averaging for both values as only for a perfectly flat loudspeaker the value would be constant all across the frequencies. Same also about the impedance which isn't constant and plays a role when giving it in power instead of voltage.

charleski

Major Contributor
It's impossible to be sure without knowing the details of how they produce both measurements. But one thing that pops out is that there are significant differences in the shape of the impedance curves, with the 30 having much higher impedance over the region above 1kHz, which may explain a lot of this.

OP
A

aHaidc

It's impossible to be sure without knowing the details of how they produce both measurements. But one thing that pops out is that there are significant differences in the shape of the impedance curves, with the 30 having much higher impedance over the region above 1kHz, which may explain a lot of this.
I've just noticed what you replied. The speakers with same sensitiviy which had the impedance closer to (or less than) 5ohm at around 300hz-400hz needed less power (watt) to reach 94db.

Top Bottom