• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much power and SPL's do people actually need in their homes?

davidc

Forum Donor
Thank you for that information. That makes sense, I would expect the accuracy to drop off dramatically above about 3K or so.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Thank you for that information. That makes sense, I would expect the accuracy to drop off dramatically above about 3K or so.
It was not bad up to about 5kHz, and didn't wildly different, but it's very hard to compare at higher frequencies.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I compared NIOSH on an iPhone to my proper sound level meter. It was close above 100Hz, below that it dropped off rapidly being about -6dB by 70Hz. So you can't use it for subwoofer setup.
In another thread https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-get-honest-with-spl.39932/post-1407788

I compared a couple of hand held SPL meters, and iPhone running Studio 6 Digital's $20 app on an iOS device and a Class 1 SPL meter. The iOS phone running the app was excellent for dBA and dBC measurements.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
In another thread https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-get-honest-with-spl.39932/post-1407788

I compared a couple of hand held SPL meters, and iPhone running Studio 6 Digital's $20 app on an iOS device and a Class 1 SPL meter. The iOS phone running the app was excellent for dBA and dBC measurements.
I was impressed with the iPhone on pink noise and at 1kHz. I was expecting a bigger error relative to the SPL meter. The only issue was at very low frequencies where the departure was sufficient to not be trustworthy.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was impressed with the iPhone on pink noise and at 1kHz. I was expecting a bigger error relative to the SPL meter. The only issue was at very low frequencies where the departure was sufficient to not be trustworthy.
Apparently that while the iPhone mics are not accurate, they are very consistent. The Studio Six Digital team has an integrated correction filter for every model iPhone and that is how they can make the readings so useful for dBA and dBC SPL measurements.

I have used their FFT app and the internal iOS mic shows a fair amount of deviation when looking at a full frequency response plot, but their correction works quite well for basic SPL measurements.

Top Bottom