• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker cables

kongwee

Major Contributor
There is no such thing as degrees of polarity. Degrees refers to phase. You don’t “flip phase“, you flip polarity. Maybe you need to re-read that book. ;)
Some pre amp will label "phase" instead of "polarity" but it is doing 180 degrees phase shift for both channel. I saw it on a non American designed preamp.

Matthias McCready

There is no such thing as degrees of polarity. Degrees refers to phase. You don’t “flip phase“, you flip polarity. Maybe you need to re-read that book. ;)

You are correct. Long day, I will edit post to refer to terms correctly. Thanks for the correction. :)

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some pre amp will label "phase" instead of "polarity" but it is doing 180 degrees phase shift for both channel. I saw it on a non American designed preamp.
Once again, the preamp is reversing polarity. It is not shifting phase. The label just means someone at the company is misinformed.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Once again, the preamp is reversing polarity. It is not shifting phase. The label just means someone at the company is misinformed.
For me whether "polarity" or "phase", I just need to know they are doing the same thing. I won't go "bruh" when I saw "phase" in any preamp brand. Argument of technically and politically term, not a concern for me at all.

rwortman

Forum Donor
For me whether "polarity" or "phase", I just need to know they are doing the same thing. I won't go "bruh" when I saw "phase" in any preamp brand. Argument of technically and politically term, not a concern for me at all.
This is a forum about the science and engineering of audio equipment. Not caring if you understand the terminology is confusing. Polarity and phase are not close to the same thing.

kongwee

Major Contributor
This is a forum about the science and engineering of audio equipment. Not caring if you understand the terminology is confusing. Polarity and phase are not close to the same thing.
Bring it to me, better with Audio Engineering Society and Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers having the most authority of issuing term and standard.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For my system, I had 3 lengths of Canare 4s11 which, btw, is the exact same cable Benchmark sells of use with their AHB2--only they sell it for $300 per 8' pr, terminated in speakons. I paid around $45 per cable at B&H video, so $90 a set. Anyway, I was feeling cheap when I set up my OG LS 50's as surround, so I used a 15' extension cord for one side, rather than buying a fourth cable from B&H. So far, I've noticed no audible difference and I may never buy that fourth length of 4s11.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Which is how the Cricket works. It uses a little asymmetric chirp tone and listens to it with an onboard mic. Foolproof (i.e., fool-tested, in my case:cool:) and easy to use. Costs a hundred bucks (or, at least, it did when I bought one).

What’s a Cricket?

OP
Holmz

Holmz

Major Contributor
The Dali Lama in a MAGA Hat
sounds like the title of a song that CAKE decided to leave off of one of its albums.
:cool:

If hw did not tell the PRS that he was not coming back, then the albim title of “prolonging the magic” would make sense.

Overseas

Major Contributor
What about the following 2 cables, strictly from their technical specs, no. 1 is 3 euro./m, no. 2 is 60 euro/m...
I mean, is no. 2 overkill for 3m distances? Should there be any difference to be perceived?

No. 1 Technical specifications
  • Wire gauge - 14 AWG
  • “Figure of 8” construction
  • 42 superior grade copper strands
  • Available in black or white
  • PVC dielectric
  • Jacket OD - 4.00mm
  • Cross-sectional area - 2.50mm²
  • Loop resistance - 0.016 Ω/m
  • Capacitance - 58pF/m
  • Inductance - 0.66 μH/m
  • Dissipation factor - 0.0900
No. 2 Technical Specifications:
  • Wire gauge - 10 AWG
  • Silver plated 99.999% Oxygen Free Copper conductors
  • Aircore™ Technology
  • Cross-sectional area - 5.50 mm2
  • Loop resistance - 0.006 Ω/m
  • Capacitance - 76 pF/m
  • Inductance - 0.46 µH/m
  • Dissipation factor - 0.0070

DonR

Major Contributor
What about the following 2 cables, strictly from their technical specs, no. 1 is 3 euro./m, no. 2 is 60 euro/m...
I mean, is no. 2 overkill for 3m distances? Should there be any difference to be perceived?

• Wire gauge - 14 AWG
  • PVC dielectric
  • Jacket OD - 4.00mm
  • Capacitance - 58pF/m
  • Inductance - 0.66 μH/m
  • Wire gauge - 10 AWG
  • Aircore™ Technology
  • Capacitance - 76 pF/m
  • Inductance - 0.46 µH/m
There should be no difference perceived.

kongwee

Major Contributor

• Wire gauge - 14 AWG
  • PVC dielectric
  • Jacket OD - 4.00mm
  • Capacitance - 58pF/m
  • Inductance - 0.66 μH/m
  • Wire gauge - 10 AWG
  • Aircore™ Technology
  • Capacitance - 76 pF/m
  • Inductance - 0.46 µH/m
Very hard to see measurement in scope, but silver plated the chances are yes.

DonR

Major Contributor
If you can't see it in a scope trace then very likely the chances are no but I am sure you would be sold on the benefit of silver plating. It seems to be a great bit of snake oil marketing.

earlevel

[ Silver plated 99.999% Oxygen Free Copper conductors ]

I don't get this...silver plating is not protective, it tarnishes easily, which affects its conductivity. Its conductivity is only 6-7% better than copper, and this is just a plating—the wire is overwhelmingly copper. I can't see how the silver plating is any improvement, beyond voodoo claims about a substantial skin effect at these frequencies. I don't see how this is any more than marketing and comfort for audiophiles. No?

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
If you can't see it in a scope trace then very likely the chances are no but I am sure you would be sold on the benefit of silver plating. It seems to be a great bit of snake oil marketing.
It is up to you. These datas are good for me to find power factor calculation in google. No ideal, but the data is good enough to make a difference. Again just looking at the data. Resistance, inductance enough to get me sold. For me, I will overkill and go for No.2.
[ Silver plated 99.999% Oxygen Free Copper conductors ]

I don't get this...silver plating is not protective, it tarnishes easily, which affects its conductivity. It's conductivity is only 6-7% better than copper, and this is just a plating—the wire is overwhelmingly copper. I can't see how the silver plating is any improvement, beyond voodoo claims about a substantial skin effect at these frequencies. I don't see how this is any more than marketing and comfort for audiophiles. No?
For me, my cable mostly are silver plated. That is not enough. Teflon insulation. Pretty good shielding. The whole cable lot slimmer than PVC. 1.5 meter pair already cost be about $120 for XLR with gold plate Neutrik, Belden 8300 series. 440V 16 amp, and not that thick. I'm using active monitor, so I spend more on XLR and power cable. Having it in 10 meter pair for microphone. Hell lots different from normal brand you get from the studio shop shelf. Kill lots of static noise. But the cable is very stiff for normal microphone. These thing you don't really need to see the scope when something solved for you.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
Overall reactance of either cable is insignificant at audio frequencies so we can ignore those. The resistance of one cable is 48mOhm for one cable and 18mOhm for the other. Over 3m the 14 AWG cable will lose 0.1dB into a 4 Ohm load. You cannot hear that.
I wouldn't ignore that reactance across the 20hz - 20kHz, you can see no difference in scope. But do you measure through the vocal coil of tweeter and the woofer? Nobody I know does that. I wouldn't do it either. The reactance on the cable will be part of the crossover and vocal coil. The higher order the more complex it is. It gonna be part of equation of the loudspeaker.

For me, testing in thousand dollar item like cable is not problem for me. My country is small, 2hour travel end to end. A dozen of shop. Some can even loan with deposit involved. Trading in second hand market is even easier.

DonR

Major Contributor
I wouldn't ignore that reactance across the 20hz - 20kHz, you can see no difference in scope. But do you measure through the vocal coil of tweeter and the woofer? Nobody I know does that. I wouldn't do it either. The reactance on the cable will be part of the crossover and vocal coil. The higher order the more complex it is. It gonna be part of equation of the loudspeaker.

For me, testing in thousand dollar item like cable is not problem for me. My country is small, 2hour travel end to end. A dozen of shop. Some can even loan with deposit involved. Trading in second hand market is even easier.
You only need to look at the reactance at 20KHz because that is the worst case. The inductance of the cable will likely be several orders of magnitude smaller than the speaker voice coil which is usually in mH whereas the cable is in uH. The interaction can be ignored. and that is why nobody does it.

kongwee

Major Contributor
You only need to look at the reactance at 20KHz because that is the worst case. The inductance of the cable will likely be several orders of magnitude smaller than the speaker voice coil which is usually in mH whereas the cable is in uH. The interaction can be ignored. and that is why nobody does it.
For me I look at 20-20kHz and it power factor value. It mean phase shift. If you want to ignored, because it is difficult to see in scope, I respect your decision.

Top Bottom